Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G3

4G3 Walkera 4G3 Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Battery charger

I am using a Eflight balance charger to charge my batteries. Three at a time in series. It is not charging them correctly. It says the batteries are charged, but they are not.

Anyone have an idea what is causing this?

Anyone have an idea which charger would be better? Something I can trust, and something better than charging them one at a time with the stock charger.

I finally got my heli working good, it frustrating to have the battery charger to give me problems now.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would first use the stock charger to ensure that the problem is indeed with the eflight charger and not with one of your batteries.

If indeed it is a problem with your e-flight charger, then I would recommend this one from ClubHeli...http://clubheli.com/chargerypower320...hargelead.aspx

For what it is worth, I had a Blade CX/2 and I went through two eFlight chargers as both had stopped working after several weeks of use. The idea that your charger suddenly stopped working is not a complete unique anomoly... they do indeed break!
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd go for the Turnigy Accucel charger from Hobbycity....they have a US warehouse if you want it fast.

Wonder why Clubheli doesn't sell the 500mah 20C's and the balance lead indervidually?

I also wonder what weight the 500 20C's are and if they'll fit the stock 4g3 tray?

I just think you'll get more use out of the Turnigy charger due to what it can do. I've heard great things about Rick at Clubheli and would not hesitate buying from him....but in this instance I think the Turnigy is a better long term option. (have one myself)

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

So when they went bad, what did they do? Mine says the batteries are charged only after a few moments of charging.

I have ordered the charger you recommended from clubheli. The other charger would be better long term, but I think 30 dollars is better for me right now. I don't think it is the batteries, because I just replaced them and soon redeveloped the problem. Now the charger may have ruined the batteries, but the batteries were new and I have been extra carefull not to over discharge them. If it dosen't work, I will replace batteries next.

Last edited by SQRT(-2); 09-28-2009 at 06:44 PM..
Old 09-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you gotten this issue sorted? I have had exactly the same problem - all of my batteries will say that they are charged (and indeed are at 4.2 volts) but have no power at all. I'm using a couple of older balance chargers that came from a rebranded Walkera coaxial and charging in series just as you have described. Interestingly enough (frustratingly more like ), all of my 2s batteries have done the same thing - so I don't think it's an issue with my wiring job.

I've come to the conclusion that at least one of my balance chargers has damaged my batteries seeing as all of my 2s and all of my 1s batteries are now behaving this way. Just got a new charger (Thunder Power AC6) via UPS today and it has not had different results on these batteries. I suspect, although I don't know how to confirm, that somewhere along the line the batteries have become overcharged and will no longer accept the proper # of amps.

Anyone else have any ideas/thoughts on this?
jgupton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
I'd go for the Turnigy Accucel charger from Hobbycity....they have a US warehouse if you want it fast.

Wonder why Clubheli doesn't sell the 500mah 20C's and the balance lead indervidually?

I also wonder what weight the 500 20C's are and if they'll fit the stock 4g3 tray?

I just think you'll get more use out of the Turnigy charger due to what it can do. I've heard great things about Rick at Clubheli and would not hesitate buying from him....but in this instance I think the Turnigy is a better long term option. (have one myself)

Amp
Amp,
I would LOVE to have just the balance lead, but no luck with the supplier. They come as a pack to me.
The 500mAh 20C weigh in at 11.8g. They fit the G3 perfectly.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hauler View Post
Amp,
I would LOVE to have just the balance lead, but no luck with the supplier. They come as a pack to me.
The 500mAh 20C weigh in at 11.8g. They fit the G3 perfectly.
Thanks Rick,
Knew there would be an external reason rather than a personal marketing choice.

Thanks for the spec on the packs....wonder how they perform in comparison to the Overskys 400 20C's. Weight difference is marginal...(0.7g from memory) however they can supply 10A instead of 8.

Hopefully the supplier will allow seperate sales. I'm sure the 500's would sell well if they are nice cells....balance lead would sell better too...

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I replaced the blades and the head block and she flies now. The blades were chewed up, and the Headblock was cracked, letting the flybar get off center and causing vibration and additional load. I will see if it flies better with the new battery charger, but untill then if you seem to have no power, I suggest new blades and checking all your rotating parts for wear.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The charger form clubheli is night and day from the Eflight one. My batteries are fine now. It charges them well each time. The eflight one had errors all the time and it took plugging the batteries in several times before it would finaly work.

PS Brush on wire tape works great! I keep accidently shrinking the shrink tubing while I am soldering so I can't slide it over the connection.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQRT(-2) View Post
... I keep accidently shrinking the shrink tubing while I am soldering so I can't slide it over the connection.
Can't tell you how many times that has happend to me!
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQRT(-2) View Post
Brush on wire tape works great!
Thanks, I always wondered if there was something easier to use than the shrink tubing, especially on short runs. I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow and getting some!
Function over ALL else
my photography http://BesPhoto.com
mikejbb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in