Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #301 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake694 View Post
can someone point me in the right direction to set up my dx6i and me MGP. when i enter set up mode it only shows head speed 3? i cant switch to normal mode to set that up

thanks tony
You need to ensure your radio is set up correctly and that the Aux Channel is plugged in. Not sure you'll have enough channels on a DX6.
500 ESP - BeastX
wimbledon99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #302 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Without an extra channel to control the 3 speed switching, you will only get speed 3 on the display.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #303 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimbledon99 View Post
You need to ensure your radio is set up correctly and that the Aux Channel is plugged in. Not sure you'll have enough channels on a DX6.
Not having a seventh channel, you can setup the MGP to only one speed that will engage according to the throttle setting, if you want to enable different head speeds then you need an extra channel so the DX6i wont be enough. I changed to a DX8 for my trex 600N with MGP
mgorgis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #304 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Without an extra channel to control the 3 speed switching, you will only get speed 3 on the display.

Bob
Really? I think I had speed 1 but that was long time ago so I could be wrong
Old 12-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #305 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

The programmer defaults to speed 3 as I recall when no channel is used to control the speed switch.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #306 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will be fun to start to use the MGP with auto mixture function again. Need to tune the engine again now that I have a new ring and piston, new fuel 20% 20% and temp around 0 degrees celcius and a new glow plug A3
Very bad whether here in Stockholm, hope it wont blow alot tomorrow so I can at least tune in and break in the engine. Needle is at 2 turns and mixtue at 1 o'chlock along the air intake, started the engine inside the rum yesterday due to bad whether and engine started very nicely (don't worry, only some seconds and no main blades )
Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #307 (permalink)
Registered Users

EDIT, I got my answer that I was looking for.

Team GrandRC
ualdrivr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #308 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well finally got mine installed on my Raptor 50 with a TT Pro 50H.
Made up a plate for the servo, installed the magnets in the fan, installed the rpm sensor, made up the temp sensor and installed. Then went through the programming and pretty much went all default except the rpm set to 1800 (as I am just learning and not doing any 3D stuff), set the idle and full throttle settings, tested the rpm sensor, set the temp to 90 Celcius (as it is winter here and I would rather start off running a bit rich till and see what the back plate temp is like (will adjust as I fly a few more flights), set the mixture servo settings, tested the temp and gov mode. Not sure if everyone noticed, but you can change the direction of the mixture servo buy moving the throttle stick. So say you were mounting the control rod on the top of both the mixture screw and servo arm (which means to richen you need both the servo and needle to move CCW). You would go to set the rich setting, move your Tx joystick to the max movement you would like the rich to be. Same goes for the lean max setting, move the joystick to move the servo arm to the max you would like the lean needle to turn. Then test the rich, neutral and lean servo settings (watching the servo arm to make sure it will move the needle in the correct direction and max amount you would like it to be).
Ran the heli for about 6 flghts today (minus 4 celcius today), adjusted the L needle abit and also ended up moving the arm on the Mixture (H) needle as it was maxed to the lean and max temp showed 67 celcius. After moving the needle pretty much stayed around the neutral mark. Running well and find the head speed more consistant than without the little device.
Oilsands is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #309 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well done Oilsands! glad to hear that it went well :-) when I was unsure regarding the direction of the servo controlling the mixture needle I just used a hair dryer and blow against the engine heatsink and about 40°C the servo kicks in and should turn CW to lean and when it exceeds the target temp it starts to turn CCW to richen! you don't risk the engine and no need to touch the back plate and risk burning your fingers!
Might be good to now for future setup

I've purchased some nitro and when my DX8 comes back from the recall I'll take out my 600n for some flying :-)
Old 02-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #310 (permalink)
Registered Users

I checked it by using a lighter, held it underneath about 3 inches below and watched like you did.
Went out flying today and all was good for the first flight. Second flight I was not getting a temp reading. Went into Mixture mode and checked the sensor, said it did not have one. Tried to remove the sensor from the head without damaging it to see if a soldering joint came loose, but was unable to save it. Good thing they give you a couple spares, made up a new one and made sure the joints are good. Everthing tested good, now just need to install the temp sensor into the head and have it ready for tomorrow. Working well so far except for this little issue. Since I am fairly new to heli's, I do not push the heli at all. Just some hovering practice, flying spot to spot and some quick climbs and back down again. Max temp I had on the first flight today was 89 C, have it set for 90 C for now.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #311 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a concern when the temp sensor stops working that's why I connected the same sensor to my spektrum telemetry unit so I get readins on my DX8 Tx as well!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #312 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do not have the spektrum as I run Futaba, but a bonus for you and others with that system. It is not too bad if the temp sensor fails, as it seems to go to the neutral position. If it fails again, I have a different temp sensor to try which I have used on my other stuff and has held up. Just do not know if it will be compatable as I have not tried hooking it up yet. Maybe later today I will try and see.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #313 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well went to the field today, when I got there I went to double check the temp sensor. I was not reading. Did a few flights anyways, then went home to check out the sensor. I did not epoxy this one in, just used high temp silicon so I was able to get the sensor out without damaging it. Found the sensor was broken. May have done that when putting the silicon in to hold the temp sensor, not sure. Anyway I had temp sensor from another system I use on my gas airplanes, it is a loop that goes around the head. It works great as I tested it and all was good, mounted it and then did a little test flight. All worked great. Only thing I had to do was move one pin on the connector over. It is an eagle tree cylinder temp sensor. Mounted it right under the head with the sensor on the back side of the motor. Way easier than making one of the sensors up.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #314 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align temp range with MGP

What working temp is ok using MGP with align 50 Hyper engine`? the reason to my question is that my MGP needs to richen more than what automix servo can handle. Explanation and some facts:

Needle: 1 turn and 4 clicks (tuned using governer w/o automixture) = 90°C
Nitro: 30%
MGP target temp: 90°C
HS: 1900

When the engine is just started and around 40°C the MGP starts to lean until target temp is reached and starts to richen when hotter than target temp which in my case is 90°C but what happens is that when just hovering it manages to keep 90°C but when doing some hard 3D temp is never under 100-110°C which is still ok but after some point today it reached 140°C which is very hot imo and the automixture can't richen more so what is the solution to this problem? should I give some more clicks before to run richer so the automixture leans rather than richening?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #315 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

one question.. If I am setting point of my multigov ..of my throttle servo... should I be at the point where my engine idles or fully cut?
Goblin Gasser TRM VX310TT Align MJ Design DTS 700N 91 HZ-R 3D Blackout Extreme Gasser #4 MCPX BL 2 iX12

Gaba
Rahulgaba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #316 (permalink)
Registered Users

where it cuts.. full close, full open are where you set your points.

RIP Roman Pirozek Jr. 1/11/94 - 9/5/2013
johnjonfenomenon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #317 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ohh really? I thought it should be at actual engine idle.. Lol oops been doing it wrong.. Got confused with its "idle position" name
Goblin Gasser TRM VX310TT Align MJ Design DTS 700N 91 HZ-R 3D Blackout Extreme Gasser #4 MCPX BL 2 iX12

Gaba
Rahulgaba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #318 (permalink)
Registered Users

I set my idle via the throttle hold switch and wherevever that may lie.

RIP Roman Pirozek Jr. 1/11/94 - 9/5/2013
johnjonfenomenon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #319 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I turn heli on Throttle goes to 3/4 and stays if I move stick to full it grabs and then comes back and is fine is this right????
Trex 500
Rick1257 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #320 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Rick

That doesn't sound right. Are you turning on your Heli in normal mode?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in