Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default $2K & 900g Payload - Doable?

Hello,

First of all, I know many of you find this type of thread irritating but I figure you'll read the title and move on to another thread of interest.

For everyone else, thanks up front and please leave me your comments --> If I was going to make an initial investment of only $2K for a heli to do a/p, what would you recommend?

I already have a DX6i and I realize if I'm going to use an internal combustion engine I'll need at least a seven channel radio. Also, my son is "donating" the camera equipment, so that won't be part of my financial expense. It looks like the camera he is giving me weighs 18 ounces - I am guessing additional structure for the fixed position camera frame will add an extra six ounces, then another eight ounces for the special landing gear = total payload of ~32 ounces (~900 grams).

I've been spending time watching videos, reading what others do and I probably get more confused than getting a clear direction on where to go to make this happen. Obviously with this limited budget, I don't expect to have a "professional quality" machine, but I was hoping this $2K budget would allow me to get something that I could have reliable fun with - something I could use that would provide me with as an introductory, learning platform.

Based on what I've learned to this point, I'm guessing a T-Rex 700 adjusted to fly stable (vs. 3D) would be a decent starting point. But even then, that's cutting it close with my small budget. But, I'm unsure if the payload capacity for a T-Rex 700 could safely manage ~32 ounces of additional weight.

And, should I be considering an electric powered heli instead? I have a shop and enjoy fabricating metal, fiberglass, & so forth.

Is $2K to create an A/P heli to safely manage a 900g payload "completely unreasonable?"

Thanks,

PO
Do it safely, do it often, and enjoy it. AMA #20703

Phreak Out is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

my suggestion is look for a second hand Trex 600e. ( not nitro )
from local club, or internet.
Next approach would be a 600 clone, like the HK-600 GT
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10953

900 grams is OK on a 600.
Weithy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

900g is nothing..... using a long rope and a quick release I was able to life a 12 Lbs fax machine and fly it around at 150' up and then drop it to the ground : )

so I think you will be ok with 2 pound of fixed weight : )

700e tho
Old 09-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

$2K for initial investment is perfectly doable. However you also have to figure maintenance costs for later which I am sure you will find ways and funding for that.
SeismicCWave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 2K AP bird

+1 for the 600e as a platform. There is a vid on here somewhere showing a guy hovering with 18lbs under a stock ESP but just barely. 32 oz isn't that much weight for a 600 that just needs to hold a stable hover. For about 1K you can build a new 600 ESP, and then invest in a KDS flymentor or Copilot 2 to hold it steady while shooting your pics with a separate TX(requires a second pilot) or extra channel if you upgrade your radio.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thank you everyone!

The HK 600 e is on backorder . . . but I'll get one as soon as they are available. I have two additional 2.4 GHz radios I could use for the camera control and I also have a camera operator who is actually the main reason why I'm doing this project.

I hate to admit this but I'm very ignorant when it comes to selecting components so I'm going to use this guy's setup (he posted his setup at the HK comments area) as a starting point - I don't mind upgrading if necessary - stability and safety are my #1 priority so if anyone would like to recommend alternatives, I'll take note:

• Scorpion 4024-1100kv
  • Castle HV-85 ESC
  • Castle BEC Pro
  • Spektrum AR7000 Rx
  • Turnigy/Flightmax 6S 5000mah 20C
  • 16t pinion (may change to 15)
  • 3x Align DS610 cyclic servos
  • 1x Align DS650 Tail servo
  • JR G7703D Gyro
  • Align torque-tube conversion kit
  • TIG CF Z-Weave main blades
  • TIG 600 CF paddles
  • TIG 93mm CF tail blades
  • Elevated RC Carbon/Titanium TR pushrod
  • Align Main and Autorotation tail drive gears
  • Align Metal tail control arm set

THANKS!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak Out View Post
Thank you everyone!

The HK 600 e is on backorder . . . but I'll get one as soon as they are available. I have two additional 2.4 GHz radios I could use for the camera control and I also have a camera operator who is actually the main reason why I'm doing this project.

I hate to admit this but I'm very ignorant when it comes to selecting components so I'm going to use this guy's setup (he posted his setup at the HK comments area) as a starting point - I don't mind upgrading if necessary - stability and safety are my #1 priority so if anyone would like to recommend alternatives, I'll take note:

• Scorpion 4024-1100kv
  • Castle HV-85 ESC
  • Castle BEC Pro
  • Spektrum AR7000 Rx
  • Turnigy/Flightmax 6S 5000mah 20C
  • 16t pinion (may change to 15)
  • 3x Align DS610 cyclic servos
  • 1x Align DS650 Tail servo
  • JR G7703D Gyro
  • Align torque-tube conversion kit
  • TIG CF Z-Weave main blades
  • TIG 600 CF paddles
  • TIG 93mm CF tail blades
  • Elevated RC Carbon/Titanium TR pushrod
  • Align Main and Autorotation tail drive gears
  • Align Metal tail control arm set

THANKS!!!

It may be that the CC 85HV ESC is slightly under par for the job. This motor is rated at 100A. For a similar setup but not AP, I have ordered the Turnigy K-Force 150A+Programmer. Also you will be better of with a 25C lipo.

This setup will only give you a comfortable 6 minute flight time.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
It may be that the CC 85HV ESC is slightly under par for the job. This motor is rated at 100A. For a similar setup but not AP, I have ordered the Turnigy K-Force 150A+Programmer. Also you will be better of with a 25C lipo.

This setup will only give you a comfortable 6 minute flight time.
Thank you!

I've pretty much decided to go with the Align T-Rex 600 instead of a clone.

Here's another HeliFreak aerial photography setup posted at this link: Click HERE
Trex-600 10S AP ship with 5350gr total weight.
2x5S TP 5000mAh 45C batteries with total weight of 1400gr.
Scorpion 4025-710
Kontronik 80+ HV
620x59 RotorTech blades
170/12 gear
1800 RPM governor mode
In hovering mode blades are at 5.5 degree angle
Heli total weight with 2 cameras is 5350gr
So, I'm still trying to figure out what's the best solution and I greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions.

I will purchase whatever seems to provide high reliability and safety while providing "adequate" duration.

Thanks again,

Brad

Old 09-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i would also go with a Spartan Quark for the tail and Hobby king battery packs 4x or if u can afford them Hyperion.....Copilot too...
ourbail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks

I can afford good battery packs - so, Hyperion is the energy source of choice? Ok, then I'll pick up four of those - thanks.

I'll probably start out with a Quark for the tail rotor stability but I was considering making my own gyro control system using either a 2 or 3 axis accelerometer and a Parallax Propeller but I'm a little unsure if it will be feasible, reliable, and worthwhile. A "home brew" stability system would take me lots of bench time to figure out and then test fix, test, fix, blah, blah, blah. I'd like to just get flyin', ya know?

Thanks again,

Brad

Old 09-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would chime in and say that that is a good choice, imo. I've got an HK600 that I've stretched to a 700, but I had to change a lot of the typical stuff that is bad with that heli plus some improvements to make it more stable. If I had known I would have started with an original ESP instead, but the HK heli is overall good now with the upgrades.

Best wishes
Old 10-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak Out View Post
I've pretty much decided to go with the Align T-Rex 600 instead of a clone.
Nope - I ended up getting a Compass Atom 6HV - I thought the size of this heli along with the 44 volt motor may provide enough power that I need.

I also opted for the flybarless version - going w/VBar hoping that could aid in stability and easier setup and maintenance (guessing).

I have a build thread over at the Compass forum but when I begin taking aerial photos and videos, I'll post my progress here - don't expect much - I'll be using a Hero to start out with and doing simple stuff. When I can get to the level of a/p some of you guys have done, then I'll move up to a better system.

I'm only doing this for fun, no profit goals in mind.

Thanks everyone,

Brad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in