Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How "good" is your control in all orientations?

How 'precisely' are you able to control your heli in all orientations? What I mean by this is as follows:

Case 1 (precise corrections):
In a tail in hover, if my heli starts drifting forward and right (in a diagonal), then the correction I apply is backwards and left (apply both corrections simultaneously) so that the heli corrects itself also in a diagonal. I call this very precise correction because the corrections are being applied perfectly oppostive to way the heli is drifting.

Case 2 (sloppy corrections):
In a tail in hover, if my heli starts drifting forward and right (in a diagonal), then the correction I apply is backwards and left (but I don't do this simultaneously. I first apply backwards correction and then left correction) So that the heli corrects itself not by diagonally moving back to center, but rather first moving backwards and then moving left. I call this very sloppy correction because any corrections that need diagonal stick input (a mix of elevator and aileron) are being done by breaking the correction down into a "forward-backward" correction and a "left-right" correction and applying them one after another.

I find my upright corrections are a bit more 'precise' but my inverted corrections always get broken down into the two components (forward-backward and left-right) and thus are a bit sloppy.
P@reez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@reez View Post
How 'precisely' are you able to control your heli in all orientations? What I mean by this is as follows:

Case 1 (precise corrections)...(apply both corrections simultaneously) ...

Case 2 (sloppy corrections)... (... first apply .. correction and then .. correction)
Depends on how tired / distracted I am.

Good day. All orientations case 1.
Average day. All side orientations case 2.
Bad day. All but tail in upright and nose in inverted case 2.
"Better not fly" day. All case 2.

Oddly enough, this is something I don't think about. I just "do". The corrections are automatic (this is what I originally strived for). I occasionally get a correction wrong, but this is happening less frequently. Have 100s of hours of sim time to thank for this.

Now if I can just stop over-correcting
Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

For my upright orientations I didn't really have to consciously work towards making all my corrections 'case 1'. It just happened over time. I think the slow piros really helped.

But inverted is always 'case 2' for me. I think I just need to be more diligent about the practice regimen. Maybe also throw in a 'compass with diagonal movement' exercise.

1) Hover in the center of the compass in nose in, inverted
2) Move heli to some compass point (say NW) (Keep the same orientation as step1 thru the move)
3) Hold for few seconds and then bring heli back to center of the compass
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 for next compass point.

Repeat above exercise for side-in and tail-in orientations.
P@reez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let me be even more cheeky than other two:

Yesterday I found out that while pirouetting upright CCW 9 to 6 o'clock I do very little corrections unless they are really slow pirouettes - I just wait for it to come to nose in before correcting. Inverted pirouettes are slightly better - but even then CW inverted (equivalent to CCW upright) I struggle a bit around 3 to 6 o'clock.

I am much better with CW upright and CCW inverted (but as I said both inverted are quite closer to each other).

Anyway if I slow them down a bit I can pirouette helis quite precisely...

PS feel free to pick even cheekier example! :p
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Put up a practise flag and hover slowly arround , nose in, side in, tail in

Cw and CCw

Everytime on a little windy day you are more than half a helis size away from the position you should be, you have a weak spot.
Be careful especially in inverted, corrections might drive the rotor into the flag.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How "good" is your control in all orientations?

Pirouetting is when this really becomes apparent. It is really tough to correct precisely the right direction as the heli spins.

In a slow piro, proper use of diagonals is essential. In a fast piro, timing/anticipation is most important.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in