Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My latest copter modification

I was advised to move my packs into a "saddlebag" position like Bergen does on some of his copters.
Idea is to get the battery mass as close to CG as possible.
Has latex foam separating the aluminum from the carbon fiber. Felt backing so the bolt heads are relieved from the batteries. And a zip tie on each that wraps around the frame and aluminum to bear some of the load the bolt heads also bear.
I made it with tear downs in mind ie, easy to get off and put back on. Designed the holder so it can be moved about 1 1/2" aft with the extra holes in the holder (minus the zip tie).

Prototype A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1180645.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	374606   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1180646.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	374607   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1180647.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	374608   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1180648.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	374609  

Last edited by Goldenhour; 12-25-2012 at 02:46 PM..
Goldenhour is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice job
Interested on how it performs.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks good.

Have you had a chance to check the CG of the heli with this setup In all axis's ???

The next time you remove the "holders" it would be very helpful to know the total weight including the bolts and zip ties, etc.. if you don't mind.

Also, keep an eye on the packs where the "holders" make contact after the first few flights to insure there is no damage from vibrations or movement. Though I do not forsee either of those being a problem, it never hurts to be over cautious with lipos.

If you dont mind me asking again, What is the all up weight of your heli including camera and gear at this point of the build ??

Thanks,
Jason
tott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott View Post
Looks good.

Have you had a chance to check the CG of the heli with this setup In all axis's ???

The next time you remove the "holders" it would be very helpful to know the total weight including the bolts and zip ties, etc.. if you don't mind.

Also, keep an eye on the packs where the "holders" make contact after the first few flights to insure there is no damage from vibrations or movement. Though I do not forsee either of those being a problem, it never hurts to be over cautious with lipos.

If you dont mind me asking again, What is the all up weight of your heli including camera and gear at this point of the build ??

Thanks,
Jason
The CG I'll have to wait until its ready to fly with the gimbal in place with camera. I would expect there will be fine tuning ahead.
Next time I take the holders off I'll let you know the weight.
The all up weight ready for pictures I believe was around 10 lbs. I could be off some on that.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought that you needed the batteries back on the tail boom for balance?

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cg will depend on his setup. My 600 size ap ship with 2xpt and t2i runnig 6cell 5300 the battery tucks directly under boom block for cg. If i was to up it to 10 or 12 cell the the batteries would have to be attached as he did for cg. My boom is aluminum 700 mm tail belt driven. But with the low weight of the t2i and 2xpt i have no need to run a higher voltage.
pc3associate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, thanks. Just seemed like everybody was running batts on the boom, but I guess not.

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
I thought that you needed the batteries back on the tail boom for balance?
Before I had the batteries on either side of the rear skid support, parallel to. I had balance then. And the batteries can be moved further back an inch and a half by repositioning the holders aft. I'll be close.
And I'm using a little Leica Dlux 5.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Last night I was putting the finishing touches on my new copter mod. I had made a power extension to reach the Eagletree up front. What I didn't see and missed was when I made the extension I built it for polarity reversal.
I was plugging it in to check out the tail and vibration with the batteries in saddlebag position and the 10ohm spark arrester resistor started to smoke and sputter. Took about 3 seconds from plug in to unplug.
In that time I fried the resistor and gave my brand new Helijive 120hv that has never been in the air 7 blinks.
I am learning some very expensive lessons here lately. All with Kontronik esc's.
Three months ago my Jive 80hv with 30 flights and a popped cap was stolen on its way to or in Germany. No insurance or tracking. Now this.
1. Never send anything of value into the dark forest without an armed guard.Or tracking and insurance.
2.I am going to start continuity testing my circuits before putting the power to them.

Thanks Santa though for a long and healthy happy life and a sexy wife. Who I told I was going to Seattle to see my Brother while she went to her Daughters, so I could work on my copter. And checking for the little + and - on the EC5 connectors.
Goldenhour is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in