Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I'm ready (but have some questions)!

Maybe this could be a thread starter for questions that people have about the new JETI duplex radio control system.

Lou's going to try to get some answers for me for some of these but I thought I'd get my questions out in the forum so others benefit from the answers as they are available. I've looked briefly in the manual and don't claim that the answers aren't there and I may have missed them.

1. Model match - does JETI do it or do you have to be very careful about accidentally controlling a heli/plane from the wrong transmitter set up. I heard that Futaba doesn't have model match due to some Spektrum IP. How about JETI? If so, how do they get around the Spektrum patent?

2. Servo slowing - does the JETI transmitter support programmable servo speed for flap slowing, etc.? I found in the manual where you can change the servo speed during servo testing but didn't find mention of programmed servo slowing during normal flying.

3. Optional left stick 3-position switch - I am a pinch flyer so I think it would be cool to program the 3-position switch on top of the left stick to control flight modes; never have to release the stick to change modes. Is this possible?

4. Swash ring - Is there a virtual cyclic ring to limit extreme throw (to prevent servo binding) in the corners of stick movement like on my JR transmitter?

5. Servo frame rate - Are faster frame rates supported or does it only send out the standard 50Hz frames?

6. Is there an open source definition of the inputs to the datalink so that specialized telemetry modules can be developed by third parties (namely me)?

7. How heavy is the transmitter with CNC case? How would it compare to some of the heavier transmitters out there like the JR 12X?

8. Does the transmitter come with a field carrying case? Any room for accessories (telemetry display, charger, etc.).

9. How will the digital trim work for shutting down the throttle such as for turbines. I have to ask this since I've never had a transmitter with digital trim on throttle.

10. Neck strap balance - Does the neck strap ring on the DS16 balance the transmitter horizontally or will we have to use an aftermarket strap adapter?

Sorry for all the questions. This is the first piece of RC radio gear that I've been really excited about since I got my first computer radio (Futaba 7UAF) 24 years ago (1988). I'm really looking forward to learning more.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Answers as of 11/15/12

Answers to CBDANES QUESTION IN BLUE

Maybe this could be a thread starter for questions that people have about the new JETI duplex radio control system.

Lou's going to try to get some answers for me for some of these but I thought I'd get my questions out in the forum so others benefit from the answers as they are available. I've looked briefly in the manual and don't claim that the answers aren't there and I may have missed them.

1. Model match - does JETI do it or do you have to be very careful about accidentally controlling a heli/plane from the wrong transmitter set up. I heard that Futaba doesn't have model match due to some Spektrum IP. How about JETI? If so, how do they get around the Spektrum patent?
YES - During this process the transmitter
learns the receiver address and will automatically find it again when
switched back on.

2. Servo slowing - does the JETI transmitter support programmable servo speed for flap slowing, etc.? I found in the manual where you can change the servo speed during servo testing but didn't find mention of programmed servo slowing during normal flying.
YES - You can slow servo speed, you can even have different speeds in both directions.

3. Optional left stick 3-position switch - I am a pinch flyer so I think it would be cool to program the 3-position switch on top of the left stick to control flight modes; never have to release the stick to change modes. Is this possible?
This radio is meant for user configuration. You can easily move any switch where you want it. It is simple to swap a switch from one position to another.

4. Swash ring - Is there a virtual cyclic ring to limit extreme throw (to prevent servo binding) in the corners of stick movement like on my JR transmitter?

5. Servo frame rate - Are faster frame rates supported or does it only send out the standard 50Hz frames?
Today the frame rate is 50Hz.

6. Is there an open source definition of the inputs to the datalink so that specialized telemetry modules can be developed by third parties (namely me)?

7. How heavy is the transmitter with CNC case? How would it compare to some of the heavier transmitters out there like the JR 12X?
JETI weighs 3lbs 5 OZ according to the manual. my JR11X weighs 2lbs 5OZ

8. Does the transmitter come with a field carrying case? Any room for accessories (telemetry display, charger, etc.).
[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]YES- radio comes with a case. With a tray there is not much room for accessories[/COLOR]

9. How will the digital trim work for shutting down the throttle such as for turbines. I have to ask this since I've never had a transmitter with digital trim on throttle.
Digital trims will work fine with turbine. You can also set up a kill switch that will work also.

10. Neck strap balance - Does the neck strap ring on the DS16 balance the transmitter horizontally or will we have to use an aftermarket strap adapter?
DS-16 should balance perfectly without any adapter.

Sorry for all the questions. This is the first piece of RC radio gear that I've been really excited about since I got my first computer radio (Futaba 7UAF) 24 years ago (1988). I'm really looking forward to learning more.
www.circlecityhelis.com
lperagallo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My question: is there any plan to develop a single-line digital output that goes to FBL controllers (i.e. like SBUS or specktrum satts) so that I can use FBL controllers without either using patch cables or single line PPM output?

This Jeti system sounds awesome on all aspects - pricing, technology, design, except for this one thing that worries me. If i get it I dont want ot have to use PPM output for FBL, it's slow (Vbar site says I would have to set Jeti RX to 20ms mode)
geekindenial is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekindenial View Post
My question: is there any plan to develop a single-line digital output that goes to FBL controllers (i.e. like SBUS or specktrum satts) so that I can use FBL controllers without either using patch cables or single line PPM output?

This Jeti system sounds awesome on all aspects - pricing, technology, design, except for this one thing that worries me. If i get it I dont want ot have to use PPM output for FBL, it's slow (Vbar site says I would have to set Jeti RX to 20ms mode)
Currently PPM works with many popular FBL controllers. I know that Helicommand, Vbar, Skookum, DJI use a single cable direct output. While I understand your concern with a 20MS output, I'd be surprised if you could tell any difference when actually flying.

Check out the manual and see all your configuration options. I would be surprised if you'd find things you can't do. The JETI radio system is duplex so each receiver is actually a transmitter so the data link between the two is constant. This helps with keeping the connection secure and provides real time voice synthesized telemetry. No need to look at a screen or wait for a vibration in your radio. You can also record the data and download it for later analysis.

Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com
Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is there any connection possible to a simulator such as Phoenix?
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4711 View Post
The TX does have an internal PPM out that you can use for sim duties or you can go wireless and buy another receiver and use a SimStick or similar.
Jeti DC-16
Kiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
OOPS! Sorry, didn't see the post above until I posted this. Yes, there are a couple of ways to do it. You can tap the PPM output port on the back of the board and add a plug to the case or you can you the sim stick and wirelessly connect to the sim.

Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com
Old 11-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Inertial sensors in transmitter?

So, there's a video on Youtube of a young person flying a quad with the new DS-16 but at one point, his fingers are off the sticks and he's tilting the transmitter around to control the heli. Does the DS-16 have inertial sensors (i.e. accelerometers) like an iPhone?

Not suggesting it would be a practical idea with big helis but just curious about what I was seeing.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
So, there's a video on Youtube of a young person flying a quad with the new DS-16 but at one point, his fingers are off the sticks and he's tilting the transmitter around to control the heli. Does the DS-16 have inertial sensors (i.e. accelerometers) like an iPhone?

Not suggesting it would be a practical idea with big helis but just curious about what I was seeing.

Yes, That's a DS-16 using the built in accelerometer assigned to the elevator and aileron controls. Remember just about anything to be configured and set up to do what you want it to do. You can also use the accelerometer to turn things on or off, speak your telemetry data and a whole host of things. It's really turning into to the last radio you will ever need.

Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com
Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lperagallo View Post
It's really turning into to the last radio you will ever need.
Since when is this hobby about "need?"
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

mhhhh - what receiver do I need to do something similar to the s-bus if it is possible at all? I only ask since some FBL systems would not be fully functional with external receiver.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
mhhhh - what receiver do I need to do something similar to the s-bus if it is possible at all? I only ask since some FBL systems would not be fully functional with external receiver.
Not exactly sure what your question refers to but I can tell you that the PPM output of the Jeti receiver will work with a single wire output with Vbar, Skookum, DJI and Helicommand. I am not sure what you can do with the beastX,, at least not the integrated RX module, but I know that a Jeti Reciever has traditional output just like a JR or Spectrum etc and will work fine, just not with a single wire connection. The beauty is that it will work either way, nothing special about it

If you have a CGY750 FBL controller then you will need a Futaba S.Bus SBE-1 PWM Adapter Encoder so you can convert the traditional RX signals to Sbus. Futaba will only work with input from Sbus. .

Remember that a Jeti receiver is also a transmitter and sends the telemetry data back live to the Transmitter. The outputs from the receiver are traditional along with PPM.

What FBL controllers would not be fully functional with an external RX?

Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com
Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to a pain but - does it matter what receiver I use? I was planning to get the 9 channel receivers but maybe the 7 channel would work well enough?

I have a few electric and nitro machines to convert.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Sorry to a pain but - does it matter what receiver I use? I was planning to get the 9 channel receivers but maybe the 7 channel would work well enough?

I have a few electric and nitro machines to convert.
You are not a pain at all. Many will need to know the same information. You need to hold off ordering receivers now. There will be US based receivers released when eth FCC approval comes in. It really depends what your set ups are. If you are using a FBL controller like Vbar, Skookum or Helicommand you can get any full range receiver using PPM since all channels are sent on the single wire. If you are using PPM, then you will need a receiver that has the appropriate number of output channel slots for your application.

If you PM me the Helis and set ups, I will be happy to make recommendations for you.

Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't mean to step on Lou's toes, but word from Esprit is that for US customers needing a small full range receiver with a single line PPM out to feed an FBL controller we'll need to use the R5 as the RSAT2 will not be getting FCC approval. The R5 is the next smallest functional equivalent to the RSAT2.

I wish we would get the RSAT2 here in the US as it's the "cleanest" package Jeti sells to feed an FBL controller; it's a small plastic box with two antennas, a single PPM-out cable, and a single telemetry port. The R5 is also full range and is almost as small but it's a heatshrink case with 5 channels worth of connectors and a telemetry port. You can configure the R5 for single line PPM out so it's functionally equivalent to an RSAT2 but isn't quite as "clean" of an installation.
Jeti DC-16
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RSAT 2s

"I wish we would get the RSAT2 here in the US as it's the "cleanest" package Jeti sells to feed an FBL controller; it's a small plastic box with two antennas, a single PPM-out cable, and a single telemetry port".

I totally agree with the statement above. The people already invested in the FBLs would love to have the RSAT 2s for our system. we don't like ugly things sticking off the side of our helis and the 5 channel receiver is ugly and a waste of equipment on top of that. getting the RSAT FCC approved should be considered. I think this would draw the attention of those of us who fly helis to consider trying your transmitters. Prime example right now is the new JR XG series of radios. JR/Specktrum people currently flying fbl systems that utilize satellites are staying away from the XG series because the XG satellites won't communicate with the FBL systems. For that reason the XG series is not doing to well in the heli community in the U.S. Those of us who fly JR/Spektrum have become accustomed to using satellites and appreciate not having to utilize a full size receivers to operate our systems. Space is already tight on a heli and satellites allow a much cleaner install. Now Jeti has such a system but won't get it approved for use in the U.S.? I know it costs money but instead of having 2 five channel receivers tested for FCC approval, one of those should hauve been dropped and the RSAT 2 should have been on the list. whenever JR chooses to get the XG satellete thing worked out for their system watch what happens. Just putting it out there from a consumer's angle. Did I say we don't like ugly things hanging off the sides of our helis (LOL).
pcskyhi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I gotta say that the lack of rsat2 in the states has hampered my decision of purchasing a dc-16 right NOW lol! I asked someone who shall remain a mystery about selling me an rsat2 and said they would not! But they are sold internationaly so maybe we could purchase from overseas. What kills me is these rx's all operate the same. So I just don't understand if a handfull are fcc aproved what the bug is with the fcc that the rest just can't be signed off. Politics LOL!
I do not need an ugly rx with all those exposed empty servo ports
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
I gotta say that the lack of rsat2 in the states has hampered my decision of purchasing a dc-16 right NOW lol! I asked someone who shall remain a mystery about selling me an rsat2 and said they would not! But they are sold internationaly so maybe we could purchase from overseas. What kills me is these rx's all operate the same. So I just don't understand if a handfull are fcc aproved what the bug is with the fcc that the rest just can't be signed off. Politics LOL!
I do not need an ugly rx with all those exposed empty servo ports
I agree with you in principle.

I've got the first part of my telemetry system in place and working. Now I'm waiting for a cable to connect it with a Jeti EX receiver, but assuming I could use the same connector to the RSAT2 and I would MUCH prefer that very clean solution especially with the additional wiring I'll have for telemetry. However the Futaba guys have it worse. They need an additional JSEND module to connect to their reciever in order to do what I'm doing so that would still be a messier solution.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just an FYI... I'm not saying you should do it but I've received a couple of PMs on RCgroups stating there are European dealers that will ship Jeti receivers, including the RSAT2, to the US.
Jeti DC-16
Old 12-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
Just an FYI... I'm not saying you should do it but I've received a couple of PMs on RCgroups stating there are European dealers that will ship Jeti receivers, including the RSAT2, to the US.
Since I am a Jeti dealer I do have to remind you that using non FCC approved receivers is illegal. You may also run into a future incompatibility using non US approved receivers with US transmitter firmware/software.

Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in