Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am so impressed with the features of this radio I'm having a hard time not to order it immediately. What stops me is 2 questions:

1. Will it work with simulators via USB cable? I saw USB cable for software upgrades and model backup, but will it also function for simulators?

2. Does Airtronics have plans for low-end receivers with Safety Link feature? Currently their 6 channel receiver does not support this.

Thank you.
Andrew.
askiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

1. Yes, the radio has a PPM mode that is expressly for simulators.

2. Yes, in the near future there will be 6,7 and 8 channel RX's with Safety Link available.

TM
TMoore is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

A couple of questions....

1. I understand that the other 2.4gHz recievers in the Airtronics range are 'compatible with this new radio but are they able to make full benefit of the increased performance of this new radio?

2. Is it possible to use the same batteries in this new radio as those that fit the RDS8000 TX? Does it use the same ATX connectors?

Many thanks!
jonp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
sd0
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
A couple of questions....

1. I understand that the other 2.4gHz recievers in the Airtronics range are 'compatible with this new radio but are they able to make full benefit of the increased performance of this new radio?

2. Is it possible to use the same batteries in this new radio as those that fit the RDS8000 TX? Does it use the same ATX connectors?

Many thanks!
If you are asking about the Tx battery, no you cannot use the RDS8000 battery in the SD10G, the 10G is only a six cell nimh, and the other is 8 cell. The voltage would be way too high. Besides if I remember correctly the batt. in the RDS was only 700mah, and the stock 10G is 1500.

However, you can use a 2S lipo in the 10G, I have done it and a 2000mah 2S lipo lasts forever.
sd0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 02:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the answer! What cable did you use for the simulator? This one? http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/477025.asp

I'm asking because in the description they don't mention simulator.

And right now I'm using cheapy hobbycity transmitter and it requires 2 different USB cables, one for programming and another for simulator.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some cool features.

In general, I wish radios could be made a little nicer, not look so cheap. Memory model limits seems silly given how cheap memory is these days, and let's ditch the old LCD screens for backlit or color displays, and let's get someone with a degree in interface design! :-)

I am an x9303 user, and if this radio or some other company came out with something better I definately would make the move. Just nothing new really excites or differs much.
srhadden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhadden View Post
Some cool features. How come they even limit memory models these days? It's kind of a dumb selling point since memory is so cheap.

Putting features aside, they need to hire an actual user interface person and overall design team. I don't know why most radios are so ugly, and why they're still using ancient LCD displays.
I always found it weird how radios are so basic yet cost so much, yes even ones like the JR 12x and Futaba 10C.....like seriously, they cost as much as a high end laptop that is light years ahead in technology.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Laptops are sold in millions, that's why.

In the cost of electronic equipment the most expensive part is development and prototyping cost. If they spent 1 billion dollars on development and prototyping and are expecting to sell 100 million Core 2 Duo processors, every processor includes has 10 dollar additional cost. Distribution and advertisement costs are similar.

But if they spend 500 thousand dollars on development and prototyping an RC transmitter, and expected to sell 5 thousand in 2 years term, every unit costs 100 dollars before the production and distribution costs.

Back to my earlier question, did anyone succeed to connect Airtronics SD-10G to a simulator? Which cable does it require?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhadden View Post
Some cool features.

In general, I wish radios could be made a little nicer, not look so cheap. Memory model limits seems silly given how cheap memory is these days, and let's ditch the old LCD screens for backlit or color displays, and let's get someone with a degree in interface design! :-)

I am an x9303 user, and if this radio or some other company came out with something better I definately would make the move. Just nothing new really excites or differs much.
The stuff you want is expensive to produce. The nicer the display, the more expensive it is to fix. Ask the 14MZ users about their experiences.

As far as not being much different to a 9303 I would have to ask, have you looked at the feature set of the SD10G?

TM
TMoore is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 9303 vs sd-10g

These two radios are not even in the same ball park!! The sd-10g is so far ahead of the 9303 on so many levels. There are local guys that are dumping their 9303's and DX7's and Futaba 10's for the sd-10g. They could not be happier! The more they use the sd-10g the more they like it and realize the vast improvements over their previous radios.

Airtronics servos are ahead of the game, too!!

Tyler
Tyler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use my SD-10G with the Phoenix flight sim. Works great. Just have to make your own adapter cable.

-Farrell
Farrell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you make such cable? I have this USB adaptor: http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4603
Old 10-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

More videos uploaded!

System menus part 1 through part 3! Yes I had to break this up into 3 parts. NOT because it was difficult but because of the capabilities this radio has! I want to show you all what it can do and in the process show it as well as help anyone that gets this radio understand it!

Seriously! If you all want me to cover something more that I may have missed or glossed over, JUST ASK!

WOW lot's to cover! Took me a few days to do all this and get to know it

In the end HUGE POWER in this radio rivaling top radios like the Futaba 9Z WII C, 12Z, and 14MZ! which in my opinion is a benchmark in radio programmability and capabilities. This radio is right up there guys and you will see it as I cover more! Amazing what is in this radio and the power the user has! I am freakin impressed honestly and that is NO BS.... I can't wait to cover more

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by askiba View Post
How do you make such cable?
Here is how I wired my adapter:

Pin 4 is the PPM signal and goes to the lower tab on your headphone jack.
Pin 1 is Ground and goes to the upper tab on your headphone jack.
When I say "tab" I mean the little finger in the headphone jack.

Pin numbers for the S-Video connector are at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mi...tor_Pinout.svg

I believe you could instead connect the outer metal shield of the S-Video connector (instead of pin1) to the upper tab in the headphone jack, but the above way works for me.

-Farrell
Old 10-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, thanks for the videos! You might want to check the new links, though, I could only download the last one out of 3 new links.

Farrel: Does the transmitter have a headphone jack or S-Video, I did not understand? If it has S-Video jack I might check the E-Sky cable pin-out. It has S-Video, too.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #36 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell View Post
Here is how I wired my adapter:

Pin 4 is the PPM signal and goes to the lower tab on your headphone jack.
Pin 1 is Ground and goes to the upper tab on your headphone jack.
When I say "tab" I mean the little finger in the headphone jack.

Pin numbers for the S-Video connector are at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mi...tor_Pinout.svg

I believe you could instead connect the outer metal shield of the S-Video connector (instead of pin1) to the upper tab in the headphone jack, but the above way works for me.

-Farrell
Remember when you wire the MALE side of this connector the pins are reversed as you look into the FRONT of the male connector! I know guys that wired PC mouse and keyboard connectors that over looked this and got it wrong! The picture on the WIKI page Farrell (Good job Farrell) provided you is the female connector as seen from the back of the radio!
The best way to do the male end for your cable is plug the male into the female and orient yourself so you know which is pin 1 and 4. Then remove the plug and solder on your wires.

Bob
Old 10-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by askiba View Post
Does the transmitter have a headphone jack or S-Video, I did not understand? If it has S-Video jack I might check the E-Sky cable pin-out. It has S-Video, too.
The transmitter has a S-Video connector, the headphone jack is what most flight sim USB cables / dongles have. So you probably need to make the S-Video -> headphone adapter which will then plug into your USB cable or dongle.

-Farrell
Old 10-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,

Great videos so far. I was wondering if you could comment on the feel and ergonomics of this tx. How does it feel in your hands? What are the gimbals like? What are your impressions of the switches, trim tabs, side levers, knobs, and navigation pad?

Thanks for your time and effort.

Jeff
freeze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #39 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze View Post
Bob,

Great videos so far. I was wondering if you could comment on the feel and ergonomics of this tx. How does it feel in your hands? What are the gimbals like? What are your impressions of the switches, trim tabs, side levers, knobs, and navigation pad?

Thanks for your time and effort.

Jeff
OK will do.... in fact there are some ergo things I do not like but it is because I am use to OTHER radios and thus my brain is use to certain thinks. It has to do with switches and where they are. Specifically the left top front switch. However I talked with Terry Moore a few nights ago and AT "may" help the situation by offering switch boards that allow you to move stuff if you need to. Anyway YES... I will do a review on that based on MY now "stuck in my brain" wants because of other radios and what I want. Realize new users may never have the ergo things I like! But, it will be open and honest as always but based on my opinion again because of what I am use to or want

Bob
Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...name=sysp2.wmv

part 2 doesnt work....i fixed the link by adding the p infront of the 2.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in