Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC/DC_5000 View Post
No I wasn't replying to you Alyon :-)
Ok, I get your gist, rev's and torque effect the 'power output' from the motor and that is fine and makes sense, and like yourself, I've seen a 'few' posts on the whole 3S vs 6S rational but normally they look to be nothing more that a fight around who's got the biggest intellectual 'dangly man fruit' bit, thus I got bored and switched off those threads pretty quick.

So, with that in mind, the other part of my question still remains in that has anyone actually placed the 'L' boom on their 3s powered 450 and run the 360mm blades for non 3D 'aerobatic' sport flight with the correct gearing etc, and if so, what was your experience?

The reason I'm asking this is that I like the idea of a bigger disk and longer boom 450L re the added stability and locked in feeling it will no doubt offer me, and as I already have the 3S packs I use on my foamie park flyer Sbach which negates the fact I cannot get batteries delivered into my country by Hobbyking anymore (and my wife would kill me IF I brought more battery packs locally), can I use the 3S packs I have and gain what it is I am looking for from the 450L?. (thanks 'alyon187' as your response looks to be the closest thing I've come to a complete answer, so I will also look up threads and see if I can read them first hand)
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Look up 450 stretch, or something along those lines. I asked the same question awhile back and what I got was that in some instances people got longer flight times. The only thing is that you need to lower your head speed a bit because of the added weight vs disc load.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree that you could fly the longer boom and 360 blades on 3s. Its going to be extremely subjective on how well it works though. Given your description of sport flying and taking it easy with packs you already have... I'd say its worth a shot. Especially if you ran the ESC wide open with a pinion small enough to keep your headspeed where you want it. This would maximize the 3s voltage, the ESC efficiency and the mechanical advantage of the gearing. You would be squeezing every last bit of performance out of the 3s system to keep the bigger disc turning. By turning down your collective pitch to say 10.5 degrees, you'd also help it perform better.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2015, 01:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Alyon and RC/DC, your right on the money with where my head is at around what I'm wanting from a new 450L heli (as I'm not interested in 3D at all).
As I've had nothing to do with electric heli's and/or 450's for over 5 years for that matter, any hint on the pinion ratio or number of teeth on the pinion gear that I should use with the main gear that comes in this kit?
Old 07-28-2015, 05:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im still pretty new to electric helis as well and I currently only have a 250 dfc and 450 pro dfc (got a x3 frame on the way though!) So im not exactly sure on pinion sizes and all that so im not rhe best to ask but I think 3000 to 3200 would be just fine for sport. I run my pro around 32-3300ish and im just a sport flyer, at the moment.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love my 450L at 2900 for cruising around sport flying. It even flies soft 3D very well at that rpm.

With a 3400 kv motor on the HK 450L stock gearing of 11:130, 100% wide open ESC would be 3193 rpm. I'd also see about getting the 10T helical pinion (tarot, GOGO RC make them). The 10T pinion would be 2903 rpm.

If it were my helicopter, I'd start with the 10T because I love 2900 rpm. Its perfect for cruising around. It will also be easier on your 3s system. Important note though, that you should run the ESC wide open with this setup. So its just raw maximum voltage coming through from the battery.

Perhaps customize some holes in your canopy to vent the ESC and keep a nice airflow coming in as your sport fly around. It can make a big difference in keeping the ESC temps down. The LV 3s system will be running higher current and temps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150728_091732.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	599580  
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the feedback and will be taking it into serious consideration!!
I must say though, after coming from a 50 sized nitro back to one of these being as I wanted something small and easy to use where ever I want, the 2900-3193 head speeds you mention sound nothing short of stratospheric against what I'm used to (1850 ish), not that I'm questioning them or anything, it's just that it's amazing to consider head speeds that fast as being the 'norm' (excluding tip speed theory re rotor diameter differences and all that)
Again, thanks for your help, now I just gotta sell my DX8 and buy the new heli, and get used to my new 14SG with all that offer's me (my old raptor 50 and dx6i paid for the new radio, and the old DX8 radio will pay for the new heli - this way I avoid my red headed nurse wife's wrath, while still getting what I want! - lol ).
Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

What motor for 6s cheap? 3d only
Old 07-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikon View Post
What motor for 6s cheap? 3d only
I have been flying a Tarot 6s motor on one of my 450's for over 2 years now
still going strong
the new model is this one: http://tarot-rc-heli.com/ESC-AND-BRU...S-1860KV-MOTOR
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Please help

hi can anyone tell me if the align 450l dominator head bearing block will fit on a assault 450L need a new one asap
thanks
jayjay22695 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone know if the Align Speed Fuselage will fit the Assault 450l, or the Gartt GT450L?

thanks
mattjk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi gentlemans. I plan to buy a heli in the coming few days. I hesitate between 450 belt driven, 450l and align 470lp.

Its not my first heli but I not a heli guy and i do not plan to do 3d just want to fly around for fun - and I like build.

I have a bunch of 3s batteries this is why I thinking on assault kits and of course the price.

As i know the belt driven tail better for beginners because less problem if the blade kicks the ground but the 450l looks better imo. So please help me

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
SCDHU is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #33 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

nix

Last edited by DPW; 11-27-2016 at 01:07 PM..
DPW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2016, 04:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipweed View Post
Yes

But

Align 470L you get a ESC + motor but again it is 6s. $220

Assault 450L + Hobbywing Platinum 60A ESC + USB for 60A ESC + Turnigy HeliDrive SK3 will set you back $180

Thanks for your kind aswer. You right but I have ESC and 470L use longer blades and needs better servos -i plan to use TGY306HV and HK933 - and I want to use my existing 3s batteries. Some of them brand new never used.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCDHU View Post
Thanks for your kind aswer. You right but I have ESC and 470L use longer blades and needs better servos -i plan to use TGY306HV and HK933 - and I want to use my existing 3s batteries. Some of them brand new never used.
Hope you have better luck with your hk933s, I have six brand new ones that have so much backlash they are unusable.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can use the TGY 306HV on cyclic on the 470L - they are enough. You could also get the Daviga 313, more torque and the same price as the Turnigy.
https://alofthobbies.com/daviga-ds31...h-voltage.html

Get a real tail servo, I can't stress this enough. Don't use cyclic servo on tail. Try the new Align DS455, it's only like $31 and performs extremely well.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/align-d...vMMaAjeg8P8HAQ

Do not run 3s. 6s was developed for a reason. 6s batteries are cheap nowadays from HK and the like, there's no reason to run 3s - especially on a modern 450, which are way bigger than they were.

I went from 3s to 6s on my old 450 sport, on 3s I got 2:30 flights, packs and ESC came down HOT, motor quite toasty also. On 6s I get over 3:00 and everything comes down warm at the most. Never hot.

Just imagine a 450L on 3s which has longer blades and weighs more. You'll struggle to get any flight time and everything will run hot and your batteries will be in terrible condition in 50 flights. Ask me how I know...

With all the black friday deals going on, the 470L is super cheap and is an excellent helicopter. Whole new level compared to the 450L and any Align 450 before it.
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few days ago i bought a 450L Dom, i just want to buy another heli for practicing and use my brand new 3s batteries. They just sitting on the shelf. I found a used 450 Pro with a bunch of spares, carrying case etc for 250-270usd.

And of course thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in