Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Finally got one!

YAY!!!!!! I finally just pulled the trigger I've been flying a Rex SE V1 for awhile now,and still can't do nose in very well yet, and every time I try, dollar bills keep jumping out of my pocket Hopefully this will be alot more stable platform to deal with.Thanks to everyone here for your posts and input. Lots of excellent info on here! Now just waiting for the big brown airplane truck to pull into my driveway Jeff
papa38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations on your new Gaui, its a blast to put together and Im sure you'll have fun flying it as well. Check out the Finless build videos beforehand and read up more on the build portion and you shouldnt have any issues.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Microman, I'm sure I will love it.Already watched Bob's videos, he's awesome! HobbyKing just went out of stock on my motor though Who knows when they will have it back in stock. The 425 kit has been out of stock there for a month and a half
Old 05-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi everyone. My kit is on the big brown airplane(heli) truck Here's my set-up.

425 plastic version
430mm blades
Turnigy 3126-1300kv motor
13t or 14t pinion, probably start w/the 14t,as they say not much tooth contact w/13t
Mystery 80A speed control w/o BEC (yellow version)
CC 10 amp BEC,set to 6 volts
Spectrum AR6100E(for now,plan to go to a 6200 when I can afford it)
Hitec HS-635HB servos on cyclic
Futaba GY401,and 9255 digital on the tail
2X 3 cell 2200mah 25C batteries in series, I have 4 nib, and 2 older ones
Probably will order a VXB OWB,after hearing the horror stories on here about the stock one.
Any questions or comments welcomed
As far as my research has shown, I can run the receiver,cyclics,401,and 9255 on 6 volts.

Jeff

Blade CX2,Honeybee FP,Esky king 2,T-Rex SE V1,with a V2 headblock,Thunder Power CF blades,Logitech 2100T gyro w/matching digital servo,HS-65MG's on cyclic,K&B tail blades,and chinese weight mod.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jeff, if your tail servo is going to be the Futaba S9255 (speed 0,16s) than I would strongly recommend to revisit this part of your setup. IMHO it is not going to fly...

Other than that looks OK.

PS. BTW I would also not run 6V with Futaba 4,8V servo...
Jack2010 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are right about the voltage It's been on my king 2 forever and does a great job, but that's at 4.8v
Old 05-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just ordered a Hyperion DS20-gmd for my tail. Along with HEIM JOINT's chinese weights, it should easily do the trick at 6 volts.3.5 lbs of pull,and that's on the end of a 1 inch arm,so at 6mm, you can double that.http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/hyperion/ds20-gmd
Old 05-27-2011, 05:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

for nose in I highly recommend a simulator...
ChibiHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally got my motor in today, if it runs as good as it looks,I will be happy Had to go with the 1600kv, as I was way tired of waiting for the 1300kv to get back in stock. Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	king 3 167.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	233100  
Old 06-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa38 View Post
Just ordered a Hyperion DS20-gmd for my tail. Along with HEIM JOINT's chinese weights, it should easily do the trick at 6 volts.3.5 lbs of pull,and that's on the end of a 1 inch arm,so at 6mm, you can double that.http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/hyperion/ds20-gmd
I also ordered one for my tail. specs look very nice! Speed 0.05s @6V. Dynamic torque is actually half of the holding torque listed, but should be plenty for the tail.
Until stock runs out you can get one for $22,50 shipped:
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3382

I missed out on the $20 HMD version for cyclics. its not even listed anymore so must be EOL.
Got the HP-DH20-FCD instead. Its high voltage, and has all the torque needed for 550 FBL if i ever want to stretch or lose the flybar.,
This one is not metal geared but spare gears are available.
sp00fman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got my DS20-GMD. Only a few days shipping
This is my first hyperion servo. Resolution is very nice, also runs very quiet and is indeed very fast. Torque is a bit disappointing, I can stall the servo by holding the round wheel in between my thumb and index finger. Comparing: i can't stall the $7 mini servo i got from HK http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=16267. Its not nearly as high resolution and has a little gear slop but its my current cheapest favorite on my t450 clone.

Using the hyperion on my gaui425 I will also do the Chinese weight mod to be sure the new hyperion servo will hold up. Only drawback is more weights load up the bearings even more.
Is it possible to buy a set of thrust bearings and add that in the stock plastic grips,or do i need different grips? (i do like the X5 grips, but i overshot my budget a bit for the coming month)
sp00fman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got back in from the first test hops in the garage.WOW,I am still shaking! I am impressed with how stable it is,but the headspeed seems way fast, kind of intimidating!! With brand new 2200mah 25C batteries,I only got 7 minutes at zero pitch at 80% throttle, and batts were pretty warm. I dropped the throttle down to 75% for the hovers, no sign of bobbing. I have a tach coming, so I'll know what I'm running pretty soon. Headspeed calc says only 1860 @75%, but it sure sounds faster than that.Whew! what a rush It finally lives!! Jeff
Old 06-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

well done jeff.....yeah bro....first time i fired up my 550 DAMN........

on the intimidating factor......if ya set up ya lounge right their great for getting rid of unwanted house guests.the trick is to have an clear escape route from the couch to the front door for when ya spool up on the carpet

marco
kahn10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya SPOOF, it's the fastest servo I have ever had. I was throwing the rudder full side to side, that thing is lightning fast!! Don't know about the grips, They make plastic ones for the 550 that have thrust bearings in them.I'm sure they would fit the 425.Good price too.http://rcdumbthumbs.com/hurricane550...torsystem.aspx
Old 06-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just in from my first full battery hover.I got 6:30 till LVC @70% throttle.No bob,nice and smooth.wanted to see where my "drop dead" time was,so I'll cut a minute off to save the batteries. Motor was 115F, not bad,I could keep my hand on it. batts were pretty warm,and speedy was barely warm. I am very impressed with this! You don't get a 5sec hands off hover with a Rex 450!! I'm gonna lets the batts cool down,hook them to the Cellpro 4, and I'll see how bad I hurt them.I don't know what voltage my speedy is cutting at.It's one of the new Turnigy Dlux 70 amp models,doesn't have a program card for it yet. The instructions say you can program the voltage you want it to cut at, but not with the transmitter. I think the default is 3.2 volts, but running hard last night,one of the batts was way lower than the other one,which doesn't make much sense, because they are both new(4 cycles) Jeff Here's my bird Don't worry,the wiring isn't finalized yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	king 3 168.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	233459   Click image for larger version

Name:	king 3 169.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	233460   Click image for larger version

Name:	king 3 170.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	233461  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in