Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor or HC Rigid

I've been reading the forums. It seems like both have faithful owners. My CopX450 with FM is doing VERY well. I am enjoying flying now vs just hovering. I'm building my 3rd 450 and will eventually put one of the two Flight Stabalizing Units in a EC-135 Scale Body.

Ie just been debating on getting another FM or trying another brand. The advantage of FM... I know it well by now. Although it took a little while to learn the software and set up... It a breeze now. I know it's a "cheaper" copy of a name brand but mine works 100% as intended.

Is there anything to gain by going to HC rigid? The price has come down a good bit it seems. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Paul
Southern New Jersey - USA --> looking for local guys who fly helis <-- Less than 1 year in and a fleet of helis: 2 CopterX 450s, an EC-135 - 450 Flymentor. Building an EXI 500.. New Hitec Aurora 9...maybe FBL soon.
Pcaola is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You cannot really compare the two. HC riged is a FBL system so can be used with FBL heli's or muli blade heads and works very well. It will do all the things that FM will do ( possibly a little better ) and more, but it does cost a lot more.
If it is a choice of one or the other then of course HC riged is far better. But there are other systems you should also look at.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Lots of options

Ivor. Thanks for the help in setting up my Flymentor. Ie never seen one work in person or flew one besides mine but it is exactly what I expected. Possibly even better. I'm sure there will come a day when I fly without one but for my skill level... It is just a joy to fly now.

I don't want to take apart my only great flying heli but I do want to complete a scale project. This is my 2nd Flybar 450 and figure ill do Flybarless soon. Despite the price of the Slookum 720, it's probably where I am headed. Most people who have them absolutely love them and say they are pretty easy to program yet can be programmed anywhere from docile to wild.

I can't believe Flymentors are down to $69. That's crazy.. At that price I'll probably buy another since I know the software and set up well. My next...... Heli will by FBL.

Paul
Southern New Jersey - USA --> looking for local guys who fly helis <-- Less than 1 year in and a fleet of helis: 2 CopterX 450s, an EC-135 - 450 Flymentor. Building an EXI 500.. New Hitec Aurora 9...maybe FBL soon.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also, there should be a slow quiet flood of cheaper used Sk720s when their new Black edition comes out. Fantastic units and even better yet when more affordable.

I have had them on dozens of helis now and will swear by them. My biggest love is their vibe diagnostics. Spool it up and it spots every single thing on the heli. Simply fantastic! And when setup properly no other unit I have tried flies nearly as well. Some guys try and dish them because they wont allow self level when the vibes on the heli shoot up past catastrophic levels. To me this is a joke blaming a fantastic fbl controller on the fact a guy cannot setup his heli even up to low factory standards. Lol

Right now though Skookum is caught up in their new GPS program so they have let the Sk720 slide for now. They need some work on their last software version, the data logging is suffering with it.

I also like the fact the new HC3 not only self levels but also can be programmed to lift the heli up or down into a hard deck. Both fbl systems are def a jump forward over the very simple FM as Ivor stated. Setting up an FM tonight on a friends 250. Lots of wires everywhere for sure. Looks like a small pack mule with everything hanging off it.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Flymentor was and still is a clone...still someone out there not knowing this?
DEMONjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim HC View Post
The Flymentor was and still is a clone...still someone out there not knowing this?
I think everybody knows that. Certainly everyone is this thread knows.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default It's a clone but

It's a clone, but for many, a proven one. I love building clone helis on the CopterX kit so far. A KDS may be great too. I'm using a tiny little tail gyro called the ASSAN 250. It's very Quarkish but the few I have been using are super simple and don't just work, but work well.
I'm sure there are cheap clones of good clones and then ya gotta ask yourself...is the good clone a clone Or a re-Branded item. Is it still a clone or a way to sell MORE of the product you are already making at a cheaper price,but in higher quantity, and usually done through an exclusive with a BiG BoY name like hobbyking, turnigy. Etc.

I buy clone stuff to get a good value from my dollar. Which means I rarely buy CHEAP stuff, but the middle of the road stuff fits me just fine...and my heli too!

My FM's have been great. After you set it up once, you can rack them up and keep doing them. Mine flies soooo wella,.

LoveMyHelis - you pointed out a lot of what I wanted to know. Cause I want to do one FBL build. And I like easy set up with excellent software ... I'll be looking!

Last edited by Pcaola; 12-14-2012 at 05:26 AM..
Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim HC View Post
I totally didn't know that. There are two sticky posts in this forum and both are Flymentor set up guide, and not helicommand setup guide. I really thought FM is an actual original product.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor/Co Pilot II VS Skookum or IKON

Sorry if this post is asking too much but I'm trying to decide on what to do with building my 3rd 450. I figured I would try FBL. In reading today about brand A VS brand Z. Some almost duplicate Flybar feel, some have a numb robotic feel. It seems like the few biggest advantages people mention are battery flight time,less mechanics in the head and less parts.

I fly gentle, my 2nd 450 is Scale and I'm sure my 3rd will go into a scale body. I get. 7-8 minutes out of a 2200 LiPo. Which I don't think is bad and honestly, I have had no problems with a Flybar Head and the parts. Even my crashed have yielded bent Main Shafts, flybars and the occasional feathering shaft. So is there an advantage to Flybarless for Scale?

Also, I like my Flymentor and might try Co-Pilot 2. Either can work with a Flybarless Controller. (OMG more wires! ). The Flybar Controller handles small corrections? Wind gusts? And it looks like the better Flybarless Systems also have a decent flight stabilization to them? Like with a Skookum or Ikon, would I need a stabiliziation system too?

I also read some posts where you will need a receiver with a Flybarelss Controller. Wouldn't I need a receiver no matter what? I use the Hitec Aurora 9. Am I guessing that a BeastX will also work as a receiver if you are using Spektrum? Like a Spektrum Flybarless System?

Sorry if the questions are vague. I. Have a grasp of FBL and everything I have used to build my two 450s but the Flybarless world seems to be all over the place. From 40$ to $350.

And in the end, for park/scale flying. Will I notice a better flight, slightly tighter control, with a FBL unit and wouldn't it be better to get a unit that does everything? Rather than stablaization + FBL controller + receiver?

Thanks guys

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in