Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got my Scorpion 2213-14 motor and the rest of the parts I ordered today. Picked up an Align 35A ESC and a couple of pinions for the new motor from my LHS. Just ordered one of the Lynx gears and pinions to hopefully rid my vibe ridden 300 of all its bad habits. That along with a frame brace and that shoud really cover fixing most of the areas the 300 has problems in. I'll have zero problems taking back those other pinions as well.
Just as a side note they had the new 550X combo kit on the shelf and a big poster of it hanging off the front case. REALLY cool looking heli, $1050 with no pack so $150 more then a 500X, plus the battery.
CrashCanuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ordered because I love spending money!
dr_boom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Slant gear anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_boom View Post
Ordered because I love spending money!
Well spread the wealth and buy everyone here one too.
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

they fixed it MINE IS ORDERED SANTA BETTER HURRY UP LOL
rhodestimm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What is the main reason for the slant gear?
Lu523 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few reasons, load characteristics are better on a slant gear, the noise level is lower over stock and the gear is more precisely round over the stock one improving the efficiency of the motor using less power to drive the whole setup.

GSPI is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooferdoggie View Post
Well spread the wealth and buy everyone here one too.
I was being sarcastic . I've spent more than that on stock 300X gears, not because they're stripped, but because they're all warped. I have yet to get one that's not.
dr_boom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_boom View Post
I was being sarcastic . I've spent more than that on stock 300X gears, not because they're stripped, but because they're all warped. I have yet to get one that's not.
darn it I don't know if mine are warped I will have to check no problem with vibration. Myself is more of a problem then the heli.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do wonder if this gear design will not strip as easy as the shockers. If they do it could get expensive.
Nytro97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Look at some of the high end birds. They are using the slant gears with great success. Quieter and much better mesh. I will be ordering as soon as it is confirmed that the pinions will work on a Wicked motor.
kcgraves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro97 View Post
I do wonder if this gear design will not strip as easy as the shockers. If they do it could get expensive.
You have a better contact and load zone with a slanted helical gear setup. This loads the gear in two directions allowing for more force to be exerted actually reducing the effects of what would normally strip a stock spur gear setup.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

From all I have read they will strip easier because of less contact area. Plus they put a lot more load on the bearings.
Big helis were designed for them in mind. but they also use regular teeth and belts.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooferdoggie View Post
From all I have read they will strip easier because of less contact area. Plus they put a lot more load on the bearings.
Big helis were designed for them in mind. but they also use regular teeth and belts.
Interesting. There is a potential for thrust loads but not much here in this application due to the three bearings used on the main rotor shaft. Straight cut gears are weaker than a same sized helical gear since helical gears have more teeth meshing and thus have a greater load bearing surface area. This means that there is more contact area to transfer load. That has been my career experience with gear design and gear failure analysis over the past 28 years.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's common misconception that straight-cut gear is weaker than its helical couterpart. The reason being most if not all helical couterpart of same application is running higher modulo, say .5 mod for straight-cut and .6 mod for helical which gives the extra strength. The higher the modulo the stronger the teeth. So you may say why not make .6 mod straight-cut? The problem with straight-cut is that they engage at a more sudden way and that's why they're more noisy. For the same gear size, higher modulo means fewer teeth on the pinion. Anything lower than 10T any physical size any modulo is starting to get noisy exponentially. You need a good balance choosing what modulo for the application. With helical design, simply because of cyclindrical nature of the circumference, gear tooth surface is curved meaning tooth engagement is at a single point not a whole line across the tooth width. This potentially mean higher pressure on the tooth but higher modulo means the teeth are stronger yet helical design prevent too much noise and harsh tooth engagement from too low pinion tooth count. Sounds like a win-win. Problem is helical gears assert side-load as we know and higher cost to make. Main shaft bearings have to hold the whole helicopter with those insane climbouts anyways. I don't think the added side-load on those bearings is significant enough in comparison.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like GSP has a little more gear knowledge and experience then the rest of us. It all comes down to Blades' QC on the main gears. It really seems to be lacking, they need to put some heat on whoever they have producing the gears to tighten up the tolerances during production. Otherwise we have to pay big $ for aftermarket alternatives. I keep telling myself "It's only money". It seems not so bad considering I will be dropping $7 to 8 hundred on a new set of skiis next week.
CrashCanuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Helidirect has the pinions and gear available for preorder. Also 10% off this weekend. Expected in stock by 3/22

http://helidirect.com/blade-300x-c-1_30_314_2157.hdx
kcgraves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

The stock gear is 140 tooth and this one is 136. I am no expert but how is this going to effect the head speed? Would you still stick with the 9t pinion.
Nytro97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #38 (permalink)

I think with the lynx gear having a few less teeth which means smaller gear going around probably more torque I guess u could compensate for head speed with a 10 or 11 tooth pinion. Its only a few less teeth but probably does make a difference on these smaller birds. ....someone correct me if I am wrong. Idk I just see a smaller main gear should produce more torque
mike4884 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro97 View Post
The stock gear is 140 tooth and this one is 136. I am no expert but how is this going to effect the head speed? Would you still stick with the 9t pinion.
Hmmm... I guess Lynx didn't up the modulo. Align 450 straight-cut main gear is .5mod and 150T while slant-cut is .6mod 121T. Will see how the Lynx slant-cut is going to hold up. I would stick With only 1% smaller main gear, I would just keep the same pinion tooth count. Besides, stock motor works better with 10T IMO.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4884 View Post
I just see a smaller main gear should produce more torque
The other way around. Smaller main gear but same pinion will give you less torque. But since we're talking about 1% difference. I don't think you'll notice the torque difference. Besides, I find stock motor work better with 10T than stock 9T anyways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in