Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 690 SX - Extra Parts Tail Rotor Build

Ok helping my son build his 690 SX, and we built the tail rotor last night. When finished there were two round washer like shims (10mm diameter) and two black round plastic sleeves left over. I looked over the manual again and again, and cannot find where these parts go. Anybody else have these left over? Totally frustrated!
T-Rex 600N
DaleT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The washer-like pieces sound like the shims for the tail rotor shaft. You might not need them. With the tail assembly all mounted up and tightened, does your tail shaft slide back and forth left to right at all? If not, throw those shims in your spare parts box. If it does, tear the tail down and put a shim between the flange bearing and shaft spacer on the side which has the bigger gap between the belt and the lip on the tail pulley. Still slop? Add another shim... Etc...

A pic would help, but if they're super thin and approx 10mm outside diameter, I'd bet the inside diameter is the same as the tail shaft diameter, and those are your shims. They might have been excluded from the manual as they're a "only use if needed" item. My 480 came with them but didn't need them. My 600 uses one on the left side.

As for the black round plastic sleeves, are they spacers for between the tail pulley and flange bearing? I think those would be metal, the plastic ones are usually for centering the tensioner (anti-static) pulley/bearing. Again, pics would help

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosionate View Post
The washer-like pieces sound like the shims for the tail rotor shaft. You might not need them. With the tail assembly all mounted up and tightened, does your tail shaft slide back and forth left to right at all? If not, throw those shims in your spare parts box. If it does, tear the tail down and put a shim between the flange bearing and shaft spacer on the side which has the bigger gap between the belt and the lip on the tail pulley. Still slop? Add another shim... Etc...

A pic would help, but if they're super thin and approx 10mm outside diameter, I'd bet the inside diameter is the same as the tail shaft diameter, and those are your shims. They might have been excluded from the manual as they're a "only use if needed" item. My 480 came with them but didn't need them. My 600 uses one on the left side.

As for the black round plastic sleeves, are they spacers for between the tail pulley and flange bearing? I think those would be metal, the plastic ones are usually for centering the tensioner (anti-static) pulley/bearing. Again, pics would help

Hope that helps

Thought maybe that what the shims were for but wasn't sure. Here is a pic of the parts leftover.

https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...1&d=1409154888
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	532005  
T-Rex 600N
Old 08-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hhmmmmm.... Those other ones look like they would fit on the tail shaft as spacers... Between the flange bearings you shouldn't be able to see any of the tail shaft... If you can see the shaft, the spacers should fill in the space. If you've already filled in all that space then maybe these are extras or something...

I'm afraid that's all I can help, they may be a part that is exclusive to the 690sx, and I haven't built one of those. My 600 has similar spacers but they're aluminum.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The shims (metal) are for taking the play out of the tail shaft (side to side).

The black spacers (if they are the 5x8x3.7) are for the tail output shaft assembly. One goes on the side of the pulley that is flat. I appears they may have put extras in your kit?
Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The pulley doesn't look to be a two part item. On other models the shims would go inside the pulley. Therefore I think the metal shims/washers go between the two belt idler bearings.

See page four of the manual.

I agree the plastic spacer does go on the short end of the output shaft between the pulley and bearing.
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Both the shims and plastic spacers inner diameters match the output shaft diameter. If the shims are for taking out play in the output tail shaft, then they are not needed because there is no play between the two flange bearings. As for the plastic spacers, there is no room for them on the shaft. Between the flange bearings there is the pulley and one metal spacer, with no room for anything else.

https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...1&d=1409165621
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	532036  
T-Rex 600N
Old 08-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see the 690 tail assembly is definitely different than from other models. I guess I don't know about the plastic ones...

Old 08-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dale it looks like you got the tail correct, I had those pieces left also, as long as you do not have any play side to side you should be fine. Chris
chc35 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chc35 View Post
Dale it looks like you got the tail correct, I had those pieces left also, as long as you do not have any play side to side you should be fine. Chris
Thanks Chris! I was fixing to call you on this one.
T-Rex 600N
Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too am in the process of building this bird and had the same pieces left over, mine also came with three 3x5x0.5 washers that go between the belt guide bearings, thing is the manual calls for only 2.
tjmarti is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also had those parts left over after the build. I actually had several other parts left as well. I figure because Mikado uses their parts on several models some extra hardware is included for when they are used on other models than the 690. It is confusing however.
Chanq is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanq View Post
I also had those parts left over after the build. I actually had several other parts left as well. I figure because Mikado uses their parts on several models some extra hardware is included for when they are used on other models than the 690. It is confusing however.
I think you hit the nail right on the head with this. Just my opinion though! :-)
Logo 690SX - Stock Scorpion motor, 12s 4500 packs
sgrim80 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So I just got finished with the tail build as well. Also had these extra parts. My issues has to do with the tail slider lever, the one tha the tail rod connects too. It is really tight on the metal piece it screws too even with the tiny washer. Any of you guys also experience this ?
ToddM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't
Logo 480 XXtreme, Logo 550SX, Logo 690SX, Logo 800 XXtreme, TDR, Minicopter Diabolo 550, Minicopter Triabolo, Goblin 500, Goblin 700, Goblin 770, KDS Agile 5.5, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, HD Cell 500, Thunder Tiger E700
taosgraveyard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Todd,
Make sure the bearings are fully seated in the bell crank. Next step is to barely tighten the bolt going through the assembly. If you crank down, you can crush the bearings and they will never be smooth again. Tighten just to the point there is no rocking action on the bellcrank and it still rotates smoothly. Then let the loctite do its thing.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Ryan. I reattached the bellcrank, making sure the bearings were seated properly and the washer was inserted . Barely cranked down to fully tighten and all is like butter now.

Thanks
ToddM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in