Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooferdoggie View Post
yes you would have to swap that bearing and I am surprised compass does not offer one. but with that and the rpms limits it makes for less motors. the warp can't handle high head speeds I learned that when I tried a 3500 3s motor in it.

Plus what I noted earlier the landing gear is less then stable really. I flew on a grass field for the first time and had a tip over on landing but I was doing a baby auto so it was not a problem I have had the tail catch and flip the heli because f that. my x3 and 300x were fine on the ground.
Seriously? Is it that hard to order the appropriate bearing?

The Warp can handle crazy headspeeds ... just not double the speed that was intended to run on it. You tried to run a motor with a KV rated for 3S on a 6S power system. What exactly did you think would happen?

The landing gear is very stable. I've had several hundred flights on mine and not once have I had a tip over on a landing, and I've had some pretty ugly auto rotations ....
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just wanted to chime in and give my experience. Last summer I was considering a premium 450 class heli. I had initially looked into the Blade 300X and 450X, but didn't' want to deal with upgrading and fixing deficiencies. I decided I wanted a "big" 450 (360mm) and really narrowed my search down to the Stretch Mini Protos and the Warp 360. I decided to go with the Warp as I just liked the look and design of it. In addition, the support I got in the Warp forum, from Prostar Hobby, and Jeff at RC Heli Canada was fantastic. The build went very smoothly as I had a V2 kit (built over last summer) and never encountered any of the issues I'd heard and read about.

My Warp is all stock except for a Scorpion 6s motor and a Hawk RC aluminum tail case. The tail case is not a necessary upgrade, but I do like the design. I've equipped my Warp with a YGE 60LV ESC, Western Robotics BEC, MKS Ds95/95i servos, and a HC3-SX FBL controller.

My only fault with the heli is that it's a tight fit in trying to cram all the electronics and wiring into the frame. I'm a little meticulous with things, and am not one to just slap things together. The manual for the Warp is superb. All the CAD drawings are fantastic and every part and screw is labeled and shown.

I absolutely LOVE how it flies!!! It is incredibly smooth and quiet. A fellow I fly with has a Strecth Mini Protos, and I will say that he always says he likes my Warp better. I let him fly my Warp two weeks ago and he was in awe of how smooth and precise it flew. Take into consideration though, that his Mini P doesn't have the same electronics that my Warp does.

I've crashed it twice now, and the damage was actually a lot less than what I anticipated. It seems the bearings take a beating in a crash, and the head and tail spindles bend. But to be honest.... I wouldn't expect them not too. Not once have i stripped a servo. While I wouldn't call it a crash, I did slide off a plywood landing pad once and toasted a set of blades, but nothing else broke or was damaged. The landing skids are not overly wide, but I've never had an issue with a tip-over in over 100 flights from both grass and pavement.

I fly my Warp at between 2400-2900 rpm. At 2400 it flips and rolls and flies quickly, smoothly and silently. At 2900 it moves faster than I can keep up with it. I was at a new club this last week and was flying with a bunch of very skilled heli pilots who all fly 600 and 700 size machines. In talking with them, the conversation turned to how 450 heli's are too small and don't fly like the large machines. The guys all said that after moving up to the big heli's, they lost interest in flying small (450 class) machines, as they had bad flight characteristics that make progression difficult. They invited me to fly my Warp, and all commented at how smooth and well it flew. I offered to let one of the guys fly it, and reluctantly he took me up on the offer. Two battery packs later, he asked if I wanted to trade it for one of his 600 heli's. I declined

Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I've never built or flown an X3 or Mini P. I'm not sponsored by anyone, and pay full price for all my gear, so my allegiance is to no one. I buy the best I can and look for quality as cutting corners always ends up costing more in the long run. With that said, I can say that I truly love my Warp, and don't regret my decision to get it. It is head and shoulders better than a 450X I've flown a few times.... quieter, smoother, faster, and more precise. Next to a Mini P it looks huge..... The tail boom is thicker, and the canopy is much bigger.

If I was crashing a lot I might look at something different though, as I feel the Warps precision comes at the expense of a slightly more complex design and structure. But I think this is the case with most things. As for the fellow that blew up his servos in a tip-over.... I don't know what to say. I don't know how that would happen, and I don't know how that would be the fault of the Warps design. Remember a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. But if your looking for the smoothest, fastest, and "biggest" flying 450 machine, I don't think you could do better than the Warp.

For those looking for guidance or answers on some of these questions, I'd highly recommend listing to what Jeff Barrett has to say. I didn't buy my Warp from him, but will say that he has given me some of the best advice I've received. He's the only salesman I've met that has talked me out of buying components or electronics because he didn't recommend them. And any advice or guidance he's given me on questions has been spot on.

Just my .02$
jimsair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
Seriously? Is it that hard to order the appropriate bearing?

The Warp can handle crazy headspeeds ... just not double the speed that was intended to run on it. You tried to run a motor with a KV rated for 3S on a 6S power system. What exactly did you think would happen?

The landing gear is very stable. I've had several hundred flights on mine and not once have I had a tip over on a landing, and I've had some pretty ugly auto rotations ....
you should see it at about 4000 rpms not a pretty sight. was jumping up and down like crazy that was when I tried a 3595k 3s motor in it. When I looked up the size of the main gear there was a misprint and thats what I sued plus I did not to know the limit on the head speed. I did not check carefully enough on the motor speed. I had used that motor in my other 450's. So yes I did not check like I should have no one is perfect. I don't use crap electronics but not high end either but I don't fly good enough to warrant it and i wanted to keep the warp light as I could thats why I choose 3s (plus had it on hand) and to use my hitec servos I use in all my helix they are 1/2 the weight of the kst215's though I use them on the tail. With the longer arms I am thinking the warp needs higher end servos as you loose resolution with arms twice the length I have on all my other birds. I may have to upgrade to get it more stable as right now I need more expo and even then I can't keep it as steady as my x3. or it could be the slower head speed makes it react differently then my x3 and throws me off who knows? I have a hard time sometimes getting it on the landing pad. the skids are not as wide or as long as my x3 and are pretty mushy but that may be the aftermarket ones I have not had the default ones on yet. from what people have told me it would be tough to balance the warp using 3s setup as the battery may not weigh enough. so I just went with 6s. the batteries charge faster so thats good.
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

This heli really benefits from having nice servos. Maybe having a rigid rotor translates faster the servo action.
On the landing gear, some went with a few washers (even plastic) under each plastic bit where the landing gear slides.
Eventually bigger bolts will be needed, depending on how much you spread them.
I never did it, i'm always a bit more carefull landing the Warp then landing my 480 beater, it has gorilla gear, flexy&wide just perfect for lazy landings

Hope you get the Warp flying as you wish, it's a blast to fly.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
you should see it at about 4000 rpms not a pretty sight.
I'm sure ... that's WAY past any sort of headspeed that should be run on a 450-sized machine.

Quote:
So yes I did not check like I should have no one is perfect.
Of course not, but every time you post about this, you make it sound like it's the models fault or that there was something wrong with the model or the design itself. I'd kindly ask that if you make those types of comments, that you also let other readers know the circumstances of which the symptoms occurred.

Quote:
With the longer arms I am thinking the warp needs higher end servos as you loose resolution with arms twice the length I have on all my other birds. I may have to upgrade to get it more stable as right now I need more expo and even then I can't keep it as steady as my x3. or it could be the slower head speed makes it react differently then my x3 and throws me off who knows?
You are the only person I know of that has complained about this. Almost everyone I know who has flown a Warp has stated how it flies larger than what it is because it's stable and precise more like a 500+ sized bird. I personally believe this to be in your setup (or possibly your electronics)?

Quote:
I have a hard time sometimes getting it on the landing pad. the skids are not as wide or as long as my x3 and are pretty mushy but that may be the aftermarket ones I have not had the default ones on yet. from what people have told me it would be tough to balance the warp using 3s setup as the battery may not weigh enough. so I just went with 6s. the batteries charge faster so thats good.
This will be something in your setup, whether it's a setting in your FBL controller or the components ... the Warp 360 is a very precise flying machine. It's quite possible that the aftermarket skids you have are mushy, I've never tried them. The stock OEM ones are fine.

A 6S should take longer to charge than a 3S ... ???

I'll tell you what, here's an official invitation to come out to the RC Heli Nation FF where I would be most happy to look at your model with you and see if we can't get it flying the way it is supposed to fly.

Last edited by Jeff_Barrett; 03-24-2014 at 09:44 AM..
Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
you should see it at about 4000 rpms not a pretty sight. was jumping up and down like crazy that was when I tried a 3595k 3s motor in it.....
Holy hell.... why would you want to fly a 350-360mm bladed heli at 4000RPM? I'm surprised the tail didn't explode.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I've had some pretty ugly auto rotations ....
Really, you call those auto rotations.... Most would call them a crash where you just happened to land on the skids but...

I have just built and maidened my warp using the compass servos.

This heli is so precise and accurate that if I flick my right stick the heli follows the oscillations perfectly!!! This is using the stock arms with stiffeners.

In my sk540 the setup went perfect with great numbers in all the servo fields and mixes for cyclic and collective. Dead on with no need to adjust them. This is the first heli I have built that had such perfect numbers and perfect negative and positive pitch without needing any adjustment.

The stock motor has plenty of power and the whole heli is incredibly smooth. There is the option for a scorpion motor if you want something different. I have not seen someone who was unhappy with the current motor choices.

I am unsure why your servos blew up like that on a tip over other than the servo cases had flaws in them. I am unable to account for that damage based on the warp setup.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun71 View Post
Really, you call those auto rotations.... Most would call them a crash where you just happened to land on the skids but...

This heli is so precise and accurate that if I flick my right stick the heli follows the oscillations perfectly!!! This is using the stock arms with stiffeners.

In my sk540 the setup went perfect with great numbers in all the servo fields and mixes for cyclic and collective. Dead on with no need to adjust them. This is the first heli I have built that had such perfect numbers and perfect negative and positive pitch without needing any adjustment.

The stock motor has plenty of power and the whole heli is incredibly smooth. There is the option for a scorpion motor if you want something different. I have not seen someone who was unhappy with the current motor choices.

I am unsure why your servos blew up like that on a tip over other than the servo cases had flaws in them. I am unable to account for that damage based on the warp setup.
I think you quoted the wrong person in this one
Old 03-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #49 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
A 6S should take longer to charge than a 3S ... ???

I'll tell you what, here's an official invitation to come out to the RC Heli Nation FF where I would be most happy to look at your model with you and see if we can't get it flying the way it is supposed to fly.
Nice offer!

As far as 6S charging faster than 3S, that remark tickled a memory in the back of my head. I'm pretty sure I had heard that assertion deployed at least once before.

It took awhile but sure enough:
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=45

Quote:
I love 6s packs because you can charge them so much faster than 3s. I can charge 6 1350 packs on my PL8 at 5c = 40a 1000w and there done in less than 12mins. The same charger with 6 2200mah 3s packs takes 20/25 mins 3c 40a 500w. I can keep all of my 6s packs at storage charge and if i decide to fly bang them on the charger and by the time i have sorted my radio heli etc there good to go normally 8 mins.
bold mine.

At first I wrote it off to a strained set of circumstances involving a specific charger and specific circumstances but now I'm not so sure. It's an observation being deployed to illustrate one of the advantages of 6S over 3S and seemed to be backed up.

I don't understand it worth a wet slap but the assertion is out there and being repeated.
Hawk404 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can charge 3S as fast / faster on my PL8 as my 6S. Let's move this discussion though to another thread if you want to pursue it further for the sake of the OP.

XRayted, Rob (shogun71) was giving me some flying buddy ribbing about auto-rotations, the rest was directed at whomever ...
Old 03-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I can charge 3S as fast / faster on my PL8 as my 6S. Let's move this discussion though to another thread if you want to pursue it further for the sake of the OP.

XRayted, Rob (shogun71) was giving me some flying buddy ribbing about auto-rotations, the rest was directed at whomever ...
Ah, got it Jeff. It went right over my head
Old 03-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Correct.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_tuga View Post
This heli really benefits from having nice servos. Maybe having a rigid rotor translates faster the servo action.
On the landing gear, some went with a few washers (even plastic) under each plastic bit where the landing gear slides.
Eventually bigger bolts will be needed, depending on how much you spread them.
I never did it, i'm always a bit more carefull landing the Warp then landing my 480 beater, it has gorilla gear, flexy&wide just perfect for lazy landings

Hope you get the Warp flying as you wish, it's a blast to fly.
yes I think it needs them. I have the hs 5065's on all my helix and they work great on the x3 down. but with the twice the length arms needed for the warp it is a big difference. I just hate spending extra money anymore been wasting so much on heli's. I have not attempted to auto the warp on pavement like I did my x3 with gorilla gear. though it autos really well more floaty then the x3. she nI get to the grass field I plan on trying it much more. My normal site tight by my house I have to use a landing pad and it is a struggle to land the warp.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #54 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
yes I think it needs them. I have the hs 5065's on all my helix and they work great on the x3 down. but with the twice the length arms needed for the warp it is a big difference. I just hate spending extra money anymore been wasting so much on heli's. I have not attempted to auto the warp on pavement like I did my x3 with gorilla gear. though it autos really well more floaty then the x3. she nI get to the grass field I plan on trying it much more. My normal site tight by my house I have to use a landing pad and it is a struggle to land the warp.
It possibly needs them if we're tipping it over repeatedly but here's a golden oldie from the Warp forum (September 2013).

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=564541

Complete with video looking pretty good with Turnigy analog 5.32 servos on cyclic. (DS520 on the tail).

It does make one wonder: a Turnigy 9018 is 5.32 while MKS replacement gear sets are roughly triple that maybe the more cost effective option is just planning on replacing an entire (cheap) servo. I don't like itty bitty parts - replacing an entire servo seems like a decent option until one gets past the tipovers - then, maybe, some nice servos.
Hawk404 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconRaygun View Post
Holy hell.... why would you want to fly a 350-360mm bladed heli at 4000RPM? I'm surprised the tail didn't explode.
I did not I did not do the calculations and used the motor I have on my other 450's.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fooferdoggie, let me know if you want to take me up on my offer as I'll be attending the RC Heli Nation FF. I'll specifically set aside part of one of my days there to assist you with your Warp 360 but I'd like to know in advance since I'll be driving 14+ hours.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun71 View Post

its not that it is not precise or smooth it flies well. There is just iti s harder for me to be accurate with and I have enough troubles with accuracy. my hands are not very precise. my x3 feels really locked in but the warp it always seems a bit too twitchy or something. it is not as fast as my x3 and thats setup pretty mildly. the warp is not as fast so it does not go out of control but it seems touchy and I need more expo on it. I need to work it out and hopefully don't have to spend a lot of money to do it. a lot of it is me I fly in a way too small space with less the precise hands and slow reactions. thats why I don't have high head speed and lot of power but slower response throws me off too try to do a roll on a too fast machine and I don't get the negative in time and too slow and too slow and I get the negative too soon.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think there may be something with your setup... as the WARP is the first heli that I've flown where I actually use almost no expo (except in my 'speed' flight mode).

You should definitely take Jeff up on his offer if you get the chance.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default warp 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bent_It View Post
I own both a Warp and a 450L. The warp flies huge. Slow and graceful in the air like a 700. The 450L is like a wasp on crystal meth. Super fast, changes direction in an instant. I love them both because they are so different!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Your description of your 450 matches my Warp! I need to tune it down to keep in orbit.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxman View Post
It sounds like you just wanted to be a cheap ass and use the gear you have and did not properly do your homework to make sure it would all work.

The 350+ class helis are only a new breed of heli as such compass have chosen gearing that is best suited unlike gaui and align who both use the stock 325 gearing so they require the higher KV motors. If you compare a gaui X3 with 2520 18XX and warp with 2520 13xx you will find the warp is a lot more efficient and will get longer flight times power is still on tap. I guess us warp owners will have to just live with that.

If i were you i would contact compass and make sure they consult you about any future helis they plan to release. God only knows they want to keep you happy.

Waxman, Not sure where you're getting your information but typical 450 runs a 150 tooth main gear. Gaui X3 runs a 131 tooth main gear and was specifically designed for 360mm blades.

I have been extremely impressed with the X3 and highly recommend it to anyone looking at a "480" class.

I do not know or have any expirence with the Warp 360 so can not comment on it.

But saying the X3 was geared the same as a 450 class is simply wrong.
Jmann841 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in