Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4#3, 4#3a, 4#3b, 4#3Q

4#3, 4#3a, 4#3b, 4#3Q Walkera 4#3, 4#3a, 4#3b, 4#3Q Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default just got 4#3b..wont throttle up

Hi just got a nice used 4#3b.

Got it linked to the 2801 pro..........which has been reset.

I have established mode1.......linked as 2401.

RX2406 reciever

PROBLEM

the rotor head moves in all directions with right stick.....looks ok

the throttle in the left stick, when i move the stick motor does not turn the blades....also rear rotor does not mone on l/r stick movements.

I have used other modes and left stick works them fine.

So...what silly mistake have I made.???
ohioshooter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would try mode 2, 2401 comptb,
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also pull the throttle trim all the way back and make sure its down in the sub trim menu as well. This is the commonest cause of no throttle or tail motor. And you have to be in mode two as your throttle is on the left. Otherwize your elevator contol lever is actually your throttle and the throttle won't initiate cuz it's at half throttle. If you really want to fly mode one you will have to change the mechanical in the transmitter to swap throttle and elevator (pitch).
papu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for info guys.

Have checked all your suggestions.

I have direct wired the motor and it spins up ok.

I also notice that one of the servos in the right stick does not move.

I am getting the binding signals on the 2801 and the led is now red which I believe is the correct color in 2401 mode.

I have also tested the 2801 and it binds fine to a v120 on another model memory.

I am beginning to get the feeling that it might be a dud receiver.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try plugging the aileron servo into the elevator socket and the elevator servo into the aileron socket. The little wires often break internally when they are removed and reinstalled after a crash. Also, its possible to push the servo arms further down the splined ouput shaft than they should be, causing the arm to press against the servo body and not move. The screw that hold the arm on won't do this. It happens when you too vigorously push the arm onto the shaft.
Phil
Old 04-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

By the way, is this a brushless or brushed setup?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for the help...its a stock bushed motor

I have swapped the serov's over and they both operate on.

So....servos are ok

Motor is ok.

the transmitter operates another heli ok.......if only i was doing my part better...G

What do you think?...........is it the rx
Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It would seem as though its the receiver. Have you checked to make sure the throttle is not reversed in the transmitter? The standard brushed motor plugs directly into the motor socket. Have you made sure the pins in the receiver aren't bent over. If so, you can usually straighten them out. Also make sure you're not plugging into the esc socket for the brushless esc...would be hard to do as its a 3 pronged socket.

Last edited by papu; 04-24-2012 at 11:38 AM..
Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi well I have checked that all the plugs are in place correctly still no joy....do these relievers tend to be fragile?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have only ruined one. I changed the mode in the radio while the heli was still bound. It was a 4#3b with the brushless out runner motor. It immediately went to full throttle and dribbled itself up and down under a coffee table. With no visible signs of damage to the receiver, it was dead. I think the brushed motor may put more of a strain on the receiver as it supplies the actual current to the motor, instead of just a signal to a speed controller. Unfortunately, a 2406b will set you back about 40 bucks.
Phil
Old 04-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got it working.....I moved the throttle trim to full negative and it spun up just fine,,,,,Just would not start with the left stick fully back, needed a bit more.

Ant tips on gentle settings to get me started I can hover my V911, with little or no problem indoors and do square...not up to figure of 8 yet...G

Thanks for you help
Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Visually the swashplate should be leaning to the right about 20 degrees when viewed from the rear of the heli. If the two metal dog bones in the upper rotor assembly are in the holes furthest out on the swash you can move them to the more centrally placed holes to make the heli more docile. At first, you should only take it off from a rough surface like very short carpet (not one that will snag the skinny landing skids). As you slowly advance the throttle, you should only need a small amount of roll input to the right to keep the heli from rolling to the left. Try to work out the pitch and roll trim without actually taking off. If you have them correct it will be able to lift off fairly docilely with just a bit of right aileron (roll) initially. Eventually it should be able to hover hands off for a few seconds as long as its not over anything that will induce ground effect.

I'm sorry. I should have stressed the throttle trim issue more. That is almost always the problem.
Phil
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Phil.......you get me there in the end....G

I will make the adjustments you suggest tonight and see if I can get it hovering.

When I spun it up to make sure all was working, without checking any adjustments, on a smooth surface it want to move sharp left and backwards.

I need to also check battery position for CG and Flybar paddles.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kind of curious whether its been in the air or not.....
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi yes its off the ground, quite skittish.

No where near as stable as my V911 but I guess that is to be expected.

I think there is an intermittent connection on the RX so have a new 2406A on the way.

Thanks.

Expecting the 4g3 I purchased to arrive next week as well.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
Expecting the 4g3 I purchased to arrive next week as well.
...sounds like you're a sucker for punishment...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I was big into planes about 30years ago and just got back into the Hobby.

In those days you spent months building them and crashing them in 10 mins.....these days we are spoiled.

Also I bought an unloved V120do5...why...because I just love a challenge.

I get the feeling if I ever master the 4#3b I should be able to fly about anything....G

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions
Old 05-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I get the feeling if I ever master the 4#3b I should be able to fly about anything....G
That's what I thought as well, untill I tried flying the 4G3...! The V120D05 is a walk in the park compared to the 4G3. It's not so much that it's very hard to fly, it's that most of the time there's something mechanically or electronically wrong with it.
Problems start escalating when you start modding it (brushless motors, etc)
Don't get me wrong, I love modding and tinkering, but at the end of the day, you must have some positive outcome to keep you going.
I really don't mean to discourage you and hope you have the best of luck with the new helis.
Keep in mind this is just my opinion.
Cheers!
John

Last edited by john aeras; 05-02-2012 at 06:30 PM..
john aeras is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi John thanks for your thoughts...........since I started this about 6 weeks ago I have had four of my friends express interest in buying helicopters...........makes a change from Bullseye pistol shooting which is my main compeditive sport.

I get the feeling that you have been down this path before and see me getting into the same frustrating situations......lets hope with your assistance I can avoid the major pitfalls.

When things get too bad I can always go back to that simple, fun, little V911
Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi John thanks for your thoughts...........since I started this about 6 weeks ago I have had four of my friends express interest in buying helicopters...........makes a change from Bullseye pistol shooting which is my main compeditive sport.

I get the feeling that you have been down this path before and see me getting into the same frustrating situations......lets hope with your assistance I can avoid the major pitfalls.

When things get too bad I can always go back to that simple, fun, little V911
Well, you're going to enjoy helis alot. Coming from a very diciplined sport, such as bullseye pistol shooting, you're not going too have many problems! (How I know?... I'm also a bullseye pistol shooter, along with other things!)
One thing that I will recommend; you should start looking into a 450 size clone kit. They are not that much more expensive to build and fly. You will also learn alot about setup and electronics/electrics.(they are also alot easier to work on, given their size)
Finless Bob's Helifreak tech room has incredible amounts of information and step by step build/setup videos.
So like I said before, good luck with whatever you choose and if you need help, there are alot of good people in this forum to help you out.
Cheers!
John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in