Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default first fpv setup advice, trex 500/gopro hero2

just getting into fpv and ap for fun and am looking for some setup advice. I am a reasonably experienced pilot (capable of some light 3d) with a trex 500, 450pro both running ar7200bx(2.4ghz), dx6i and a gopro hero2 to work with. tend to do these projects piecemeal and get parts in whatever order they will be most useful in, so got the helis, got the camera and got it working and mounted up, now looking for the next piece. Thinking tx/rx and monitor, then start worrying about range and telemetry after that? I also hope to be able to continue to throw my heli around, is it reasonable to think that i could make the whole system "bolt on" enough to be reasonably easy to convert back and forth to LOS? I know many of these questions have been answered in infinite forums, but i am curious to hear current impressions, especially from other heli pilots. looking to keep it simple and as cheap as possible while using decent equipment probably no goggles or camera servos at first, and really appreciate any specific equipment recommendations. Thanks and happy flyin!
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the live video out from the go pro has a delay , there's a reason people use a second camera for the piloting . Use a go pro just for getting HD video of your flights at the same time as your piloting fpv .

Since piloting fpv is more difficult and if you want to make watchable video its best to not plan on using one helicopter for fpv and 3D . You will be too unstable for shooting good video . If you want to fpv with a helicopter I suggest looking at a multi rotor like a quad copter , with an auto level feature
steve28 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

unfortunately i cant afford another aircraft right now but it seems like i should be able to make something work with what i got. i dont have a problem buying another camera though. i also dont have any problem making one of my helis dedicated to the project, just wanted to know if it was possible.
any thoughts anyone? is my question too vague? i have been reading a lot and i think i have a good idea of what to get to get started but would really love any specific suggestions. is this package ok for my needs? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_520_PAL.html
or perhaps this? http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=258

if im not getting an answer because my questions are too uninformed i would love a pointer to good information, preferably something more specific than go to x forum and read all 100000 posts thanks for looking!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

because of the cost associated with the go pro and that it makes for a bad choice for your downlink camera , I think its best to start out with a small FPV camera from RM-RC and get a wireless video system. Then get a DVR to operate on the ground like the one from FPV-Japan like this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBNYT&P=Z
That way you can record all your FPV flights and you can use the Downlink video on the DVR to help figure out where you went down if you crash. Save the Go-Pro addition until later since the Go-Pro records on the camera the video is useless if you crash and can't find your vehicle.

Hope that helps
Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The GoPro is an excellent camera for FPV and no delay at all and it's robust too within it's shell. Hook it up to an Immersion 100mW or say a 600mW 5.8Ghz transmitter and preferably use FatShark Dominator goggles.
Funnily enough I'm setting up my T-Rex 500 which already has Helicommand on. HC takes care of stability. FPV is hard, especially at first so a quad would be better like the DJI 450 Flamewheel and NAZA just to allow you to get the knack of it.
billywiz1307 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe so but still not compatible with an OSD .
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by billywiz1307 View Post
The GoPro is an excellent camera for FPV and no delay at all and it's robust too within it's shell. Hook it up to an Immersion 100mW or say a 600mW 5.8Ghz transmitter and preferably use FatShark Dominator goggles.
Funnily enough I'm setting up my T-Rex 500 which already has Helicommand on. HC takes care of stability. FPV is hard, especially at first so a quad would be better like the DJI 450 Flamewheel and NAZA just to allow you to get the knack of it.
If you use the go pro and the immersion 5.8 600mw tx with the fat shark googles that have the built in rx do you have to get any thing else for a simple fpv set up? I am looking for a very light set up, something with no tri pod ground station.
thielecg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have flown a lot of FPV via gopro with 0 issues. The wide FOV made it much easier to fly in the beginning.

Now I fly with a seawolf 690 CCD and it is as good as the gopro.

I changed because I put a gimbal on my rig and you cant fly FPV with a stabilized camera.

I have never used a OSD when flying FPV.

With a long range fixed wing I see the need but with a heli or multirotor isn't not like your going to get lost.

Oh and don't use the stock antenna.

Get a inverted V for 900mhz
Adidas4275 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in