Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Quick of Japan

Quick of Japan QJ Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Harold
The 401 will easily take the 6 volts, its always the tail servo thats iffy.
Use an Align step down between the gyro and tail servo.
It drops the voltage from 6v to 5.2v.
The step down should only cost you about $8US
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gorn, I will go to the hobby shop Tuesday, that will be the simplest best improvement I can do to the machine now. I am looking at putting the Hitec HS-5245 digital servos in my EX. I will have to cut out some on the elevator servo hole in the frame.

they are .15/.12 61.1/76.3

Harold
quickfighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

...and about $15.00 apiece cheaper.
Henry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Henry, I did not get an email that you made a post. I got the HS-5245mg digital servos in and I think the heli hovers much better. It started raining and i did not get to put a few flights in, so I will know more soon.

I bought the new JR Gyro from Charles and put it in yesterday. I turned the voltage up to 6.2 Volts and I left the same Futaba digital servo in it that I used with the 401. I did not have a regulator.
It works perfect. I hovered it in some pretty strong wind and it held the tail good.
Harold
Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm glad you had enough time to get them in. Keep us posted on how the QJ8 does at in Ocala.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

First of all, it was only an 8 hr. trip to the flying field. I had a great time. The flying field was great. It was cold and a little windy Friday morning so I got to do all the flying for a while as the people from Fla. were having their coldest day of the year! The people were so nice to me, all the guys with all the expierence were there. We talked and exchanged information all day.
The EP8 EX flew very well. The new digital servos gave the EX a quicker response. I flew the new 2650mah 5 cell batteries I got from Charles and they performed great. I did not time my flights but I flew about twice as long as I did with my Hecell batteries. The new 30C batteries had the horsepower, I struggled to keep up with the heli all day. The new JR gyro did great in the wind.
I saw all the electrics fly, from WW1 planes to the ducted fan Habu. I met a nice modeler by the name of Bob H. who made me feel at home and told me about all the electric models. I will try to make some of that clubs other shows this year.

Harold
Old 02-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Glad to hear you had a good time and that the weather "behaved". Of course being Florida it could have been a bit warmer!

I have the EX back together all except for the head and tail rotor servo. Is the tail boom on this version shorter than the stock tail boom on the SP? It sure seems so. I should have the main gear and head installed tomorrow and get all of the gear meshes dialed in. Looking forward to flying again...it's been awhile!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail boom length on the EP8v2 SP is the same as the EP8v2 EX.

Harold
Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gorn, I was talking to Charles today about making a new front battery rack for the EX. I think that would be a good idea.
When I get back in from Fla. Jets next week I think i am going to start talking to Charles about making some of the changes.

I am going to test fly my EX after making each change. Right now, i want to fly the EX with the 5245 servos to see really how much i like them.

Harold
Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Harold
I think that the issue with just adding a front tray is not solving the problem.
Most people I know in person and online, are using the Hobbycity Turnigy batteries.
Im included.
But they are physically a fairly bulky pack, and weigh 460g.
So they will not fit inside any QJ canopy unless something major is changed.
Such as mounting the motor upside down, which would allow more scope for chassis design to allow for the new larger packs.
Even my old Outrage packs would not fit properly with that kind of add on mount, and a QJ canopy.
The front tray would work for people that just want a cruiser, running 6s 2200.

With the Twinring frame I got, I had to use a Trex 500 canopy, otherwise the packs wont fit at all.

This is what I mean about QJ not keeping up with the times.
EVERY other 500 on the market will happily take any brand 6s 2500-2650 pack under the stock canopy, and balance properly.

Im not knocking your idea, as I think its great that you are going to try some things.
Im just outlining the bigger picture, for long term use by a broad range of people.

Cheers
Old 03-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are right. I think Charles needs to give us the option parts to make the batteries fit. Charles has a new canopy too. We will see what we got to do to get all this going next week.
When I meet with him, I will use every idea you give us and we will see what our options are going to be.

Harold
Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool
Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gorn, I got an email from Charles, Mr. Iyobe is going to make a new battery tray for the helis.
Harold
Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very cool
Old 03-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #35 (permalink)
PAS
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any update on a battery tray?

I'm a little disappointed as I bought 2 packs of Outrage NRG35 3s1p 2200mAH and they make the EP8 a good bit nose heavy.

I have mostly been using 2 packs of Hyperion G3 2100mAH 3s1p and they balance nicely.

Hopefully this battery tray will make it easier to balance various size packs.
PAS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My question is, are you talking about the static balance on the bench, or you talking about the heli wanting to hover forward or backward?

Here is what I do, I put a 1/4 inch square mil stock down across the top of the frame and with all the trims set a zero, I make sure my swashplate is level. Use sometime with a thickness that just leaves a small space when viewing the distance from the bottom of the swashplate to the top side of the flat reference.
Once you sure your sw is level, then install all equipment and canopy and pick the heli up by the seesaw from front to rear and check the balance. You want nose heavy. I hold it up and check the skids distance to the top of the table.
You should not see too much difference from the 2 battery packs. I usually like the added nose weight. Fly it. How does it feel on elevator? Make sure your plastic links are not too tight.

Harold
Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I meant use something, not sometime to do the measuring, sorry.

Harold I was up about all night last night.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #38 (permalink)
PAS
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Harold but please get some sleep!

I usually level everything and then lift the heli by the flybar and would like the heli to hang level or just a tad nose heavy. With the NRG batteries it is way nose heavy. I think I could add a little weight to the back but I never liked that idea. If the QJ8 had an angled battery tray, I believe some of the weight would be moved toward the center of gravity and it would balance.
PAS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, you are doing everything right I think. Just hold on, I think Charles has got something coming from Japan like a new battery setup. I think he will have a new optional tray or frame soon.
Harold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in