Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #241 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

If it starts to flash then it thinks it is getting a rudder stick input. Usually when I have seen this it is a bad RX or your picking up noise.

If you move the rudder stick back and forth a bit does it stop blinking when you recenter the stick? If so your pots on your sticks may be getting old and thus the rudder signal is jumping around (called dead band). You can HELP the issue by adding in about 15% expo on rudder but the real fix is to replace the pots.

Also make sure you have NO TRIM on any of your flight conditions! You may have some trim in normal and when you go to idle it blinks because idle up doesn't have trim or visa versa.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #242 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bob, how are you?

I take it you mean the pots in the transmitter? The new Dx7 and a6100e is a day old! (but I'm like you a day wiser!)

Just had a couple of additional flights and this led flashing issue hasn't happened.
I am worried that it could strike again? I'm convinced it was still then began to flash.

(It kept flashing when stick centered and after moving rudder)

When you plug in your battery, do you do this whilst holding the model, or connect whilst it's sitting pretty on the ground?

The reason I ask is that you have to be very quick to put it back still on the ground, if holding, to plug battery in, so that the gyro can initialize.

I have noticed that if I don't do this,the gyro led will flash, so have to unplug and replug keeping still. I have found it harder on the knees but generally the gyro suits a ground battery connection.(Or stick it on table and lower it after!)

Ok just done another flight and the gyro no matter how still i kept it would not initialize It took 10 attempts!!???????????????????????????????????????? ???

Later into the flight the tail began to move back wards and forward slowly. sign of empty battery?
Mk1

Last edited by mk1spitfire; 01-06-2008 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: addtional infomation
mk1spitfire is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #243 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,
The helifreak community is great.

Looks like i needed to rebind my new dx7 and 6100e after my initial set up in order to tell the reciever new neutral centers.

This has stopped the LED from slow flashing when I power up.

It nows stays lit.

Rebinding is important

Thanks

Mk1
Old 01-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #244 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 401/DX7 ?'s

Looking for some help, posted on other forums with no luck. Been flying my 450 for almost 3 months now with no tail issues. I rebuilt the the entire frame (new parts). Now my nose want's to move left no matter what I do. So I have several ? now that I am a little more experienced with the DX7 and 401.

1.) Most guides say to mechanically adjust the rotor in rate mode (not HH), how do you get it out of HH? I cannot get the solid red light off no matter what I try.

2.) when I adjust the the rotor to center, it measures dead center. When I adjust the limit on one side (just backing it off the stop) it still seems to over extend to the other side, any suggestions?

3.) On my gyro Sens page it reads:

Auto

Rate:

F. Mode
NORM 0
ST 1:0

0: 72%
1: 72%

If I reduce the gain to say 55% it spins faster, increase to 85% still spins, but not as bad and the tail wags. Anywhere in between the tail still rotate (nose left, no wag). I'm convinced it's mechanical, but everything seems dead on. Also, What does the F. Mode exactly do?

Any help appreciated, thanx...
zaboaa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #245 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will not get out of heading hold as you have set the gear or aux channel to gyro sense in your system set up menu.

You have to switch off and switch on holding the two buttons and get to the system sub menu where you have assigned either aux or gear channel,often the gear and set it back from gyro to gear/aux( gear-gear/aux-aux)

Once this is done,return to the flight screen, you will then be able to switch the light off by switching the gear or aux switch depending on which channel you have inserted you gyro gain wire.
This should allow you now to adjust mechanically and center.

Light off means non heading hold mode,

Once mechanically adjusted go back to system menu and and turn your assigned aux or gear channel back to gyro. This will put the gyro permanently in heading hold mode, as you had before.
The gyro sense set up enables you not to have to use the ATV end point for gyro sensitivity.

The F mode allows you to assign different or same gyro sense settings for the 3 flight modes. normal, stunt, stunt. A higher head speed could result in an increased/decreased gyro sense setting.
In you case you have set 72% no matter what flight mode you are in.0 or 1.

Hope this helps you to understand.

Mk1
CX2
Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #246 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaboaa View Post
Looking for some help, posted on other forums with no luck. Been flying my 450 for almost 3 months now with no tail issues. I rebuilt the the entire frame (new parts). Now my nose want's to move left no matter what I do. So I have several ? now that I am a little more experienced with the DX7 and 401.

1.) Most guides say to mechanically adjust the rotor in rate mode (not HH), how do you get it out of HH? I cannot get the solid red light off no matter what I try.

2.) when I adjust the the rotor to center, it measures dead center. When I adjust the limit on one side (just backing it off the stop) it still seems to over extend to the other side, any suggestions?

3.) On my gyro Sens page it reads:

Auto

Rate:

F. Mode
NORM 0
ST 1:0

If I reduce the gain to say 55% it spins faster, increase to 85% still spins, but not as bad and the tail wags. Anywhere in between the tail still rotate (nose left, no wag). I'm convinced it's mechanical, but everything seems dead on. Also, What does the F. Mode exactly do?

Any help appreciated, thanx...
The easiest way for me to get out of HH mode and into Rate mode was as per the Finless video.....set your normal mode gain to below 50%....in other words where you show:

Make it 0:49% or lower......
Another easy way is to set it up like this:

Norm: 0
ST1: 1

1: 49% or lower

Then when you switch to stunt mode 1 (ST1) you will automatically take it out of HH mode since the gain is set below 50%.

Good luck!
Skarn
Skarn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #247 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you drop it to 49% that may well take it out of heading hold but when doing a hover check will you have enough sensitivity in the gyro?.

Mk1
CX2
Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #248 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1spitfire View Post
If you drop it to 49% that may well take it out of heading hold but when doing a hover check will you have enough sensitivity in the gyro?.

Mk1
Oh I don't keep it like that, only to enter rate mode to adjust it...as soon as I'm done, I pop it right back into HH mode.......Of course I'm a noob so others advice would be very helpfu.

Skarn
Skarn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #249 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Everyone above has stated correctly...the gryo must be below 50% to be non HH.

I have mine set up with 68% in 0 and 25% on 1 then I also have mine set in Auto..when I need to make adjustments I select 1 for norm, make the adjustments to the servo linkage or position till it hovers straight, then reselect Norm back to position 0.

I believe the F mode is for Autos...it cuts of the motor.
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #250 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Thanks for making this video Jermo, it's been most informative.

I know you said it doesn't really matter but so I can be consistent in case I need more help... :o Do you guys recommend connecting the Gyro to gear or Aux2?

Thanks.
manike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #251 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I feel like I'm taking advantage asking so many questions. Is there anyway to donate or support the site?

I now have my Gear channel set for the Gyro. Jermo's video was very helpful for setting up the DX7. I had a bunch more questions then watched it 3-4 times, and now I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing.

Questions for today...

To set up my servo's I had to reverse the aileron, then put all of my swash values to negative 50. i.e.

Aile - 50%
Elez - 50%
Pit. - 50%

Is that normal/usual?

I'm using a DX7, AR7000 and HS65MG's installed as per the videos here.

Last edited by manike; 01-18-2008 at 05:19 PM..
manike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #252 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I installed mine on the GEAR channel on my AR6100 Rx.
BryMeister is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #253 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by manike View Post
I feel like I'm taking advantage asking so many questions. Is there anyway to donate or support the site?

I now have my Gear channel set for the Gyro. Jermo's video was very helpful for setting up the DX7. I had a bunch more questions then watched it 3-4 times, and now I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing.

Questions for today...

To set up my servo's I had to reverse the aileron, then put all of my swash values to negative 50. i.e.

Aile - 50%
Elez - 50%
Pit. - 50%

Is that normal/usual?

I'm using a DX7, AR7000 and HS65MG's installed as per the videos here.
It is what it is.

Of course if everything is reversed, you COULD un-reverse the aileron and reverse alevator and pitch, but since you have already done it, that would mean you would have to reverse all three swash settings again. And it doesn't make any difference on how it flies.

So I would leave it alone.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #254 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
It is what it is.

Of course if everything is reversed, you COULD un-reverse the aileron and reverse alevator and pitch, but since you have already done it, that would mean you would have to reverse all three swash settings again. And it doesn't make any difference on how it flies.

So I would leave it alone.
This was the method I used... reversed elevator and pitch
mikelebron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #255 (permalink)

My HF Map location

In standard mode my gyro initiates with the tail arm centered, (0 pitch) with the servo 90 deg. perpendicular to the boom. O.K. great. When I reinitate the gyro in HH (un plug the battery) without moving the tail, then the gyro initiates with about 15 deg tail pitch, not centered. Is this normal? or should the tail blades be centered 0 pitch when the gyro initiates in HH. Thanks ahead of time
Hughes500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #256 (permalink)

My HF Map location

In HH mode, it is normal for your tail pitch to be "not centered". Does it hold the tail in hovering in HH mode? If so, you're fine.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #257 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Thanks, I haven't been able to try it because it is raining hard today. I believe the setup is correct. i've watched videos, read threads, gryo manuals, etc... I understood it, but I didn't see anything about the pitch changing when switching to HH from constant rate. I will have someone check it out for me next chance I get. Before I hover, I want to make sure it is setup right. When I first bought the heli, I knew nothing. I built my own training gear and would get it off of the ground a few inches and kill the throttle. I got brave and gave some more throttle. As it climbed to about three feet, the heli was tracking back and to the left. I got nervous and slammed the throttle down, not knowing it would go into negative pitch and slam it into the asphalt. I basically had to rebuild the whole heli. It has been a great learning experience. I have spent over 200 hours reading and learning, and rebuilding. Since the Blade 400 is rtf, there is no setup other than a miniature parts explosion graphic. I had a pretty good flyer check it out last week, but there was tail problems. So I went back to study. I found my servo was mounted to low, gyro wasn't setup correctly, and I had a sticky tail bearing from the crash that was inhibiting the tail.
After reading and watching gyro setup vids from this and other forums, I figured out how to set it up properly. Man am I addicted. Every free second, I am working on the heli or reading. I haven't even had a decent hover yet or hover at all. I can't wait. I go and watch the experts and I can't believe what they can do. Even the 90's with all of the 3d is so impressive. All I want to do is hover. I'd be so thrilled to get it up in the air and just have it sit there in a relatively small area of 20 feet or so. I bought g4 simulator after crashing it, and have practiced and hour or more a day. I can now hover pretty good in the simulator with the trex 450 v2 and 600 nitro. I hope it will be the same when I do it on my own. But now, just to throttle up the blades makes my heart race. Well I hope to do it this weekend.
Hughes500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #258 (permalink)

My HF Map location

For the 401 gyro, when it is in HH mode and properly set up mechanically, you can cycle the rudder stick back and forth 3 times and the servo should position the blades at neutral (0 pitch).
Old 01-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #259 (permalink)

Please help..Im am trying to setup my dx7 and the new servos that came with it..
Now i must be doing something wrong cuz I cant see or the videos.It says Jermos dx7 setup video I click on that and all I get is people replying to the post no videos..

Last edited by chaz.marc; 01-25-2008 at 08:45 PM..
chaz.marc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #260 (permalink)

When im signed out it lets me see the videos,but when i try to get the videos it tells me i need to sign in .So i sign in I can no longer see the link to the video..

Last edited by chaz.marc; 01-25-2008 at 08:44 PM..
chaz.marc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dx7, programming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in