Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Quantum 4530 motor with loud high pitch whining at higher RPM. Help!

Hello,
I just recently put my Goblin 770 together and now running some bench tests and setups. I noticed, however, that when I spool up my motor, there is a high pitch whining coming from the motor that is quite ear piercing. It doesn't seem like a bearing issue since the motor feels very smooth, but more an electrical issue. This motor test I am doing with no load of course. The motor I have is the Quantum 4530-450kV paired with a Castle Edge HV 160A ESC set at Normal timing and 12kHz for PWM Frequency. Running a 12S system at head speeds of 1620, 1720, and 1820 using the Ikon governor. Now, the squeal is maintained when at 1820 HS. But while spooling up, it can be heard at some points for just a moment. Any info on what this may mean, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check it out Ed. First isolate the noise by removing the motor belt from the drivetrain. If it still makes the noise then it's probably motor bearings. If it doesn't then it's probably a bearing on the secondary shaft. But if it is the motor hit me up I have several motors you can use till you get straight.. But they're all Scorpion...
Old 12-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the same experience with my Quantum 4530 500kv. The motor is brand new. The ESC I'm using is Helijive 120 with auto timing. It happens during spooling up. Once the head-speed stabilized, the whining disappeared.
CACN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same on one of mine, but not the other. No problems ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is normal. It's been asked here a bunch of times before too.

Unloaded, the fan/vents make quite a bit of noise. Once the blades are on, you'll never even notice it.

Go fly it like you stole it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in