Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Which loctite do you use?

I'm about to start to build my T-Rex 550E V2 3GX and was wondering what loctite you guys are using. You can see what i'm using with the attached thumbnail. For those of you who are wondering why 4 different ones. The 271 is for all spinning parts. The 243 is for all screws in metal parts and it is oil tolerant. That mean you can use it even if it's a little oily without reducing it's strenght. The 425 is a mild CA that cure within 2 minutes and used on screws that goes in plastic. Very usefull to hold the TT bearing in place. The 404 is a strong CA used mainly on plastic parts that don't need to be removed like pastic servo nuts and spacers.

I've builded a T-Rex 450 PRO V2 3GX with these and never had a problem with anything coming loose. For sure the 271 may look overkill and hard to remove. Heating up bolt head with a 25 watts soldering iron for 10 to 15 seconds will make removal easy as heat will soften it.

I will take apart everything already factory assembled on the 550 and put it back together with these. Crash caused by flying parts is not an option for me.

Hope to make the maiden soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loctite.jpg
Views:	3797
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	334386  
BackyardFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the Blue Stuff all over now. I did use the red stuff as recomended by many users but it can be tough to get off if you put too much on. Even the soldering iron conldn't get it off, especially on the smaller screws. Haven't had much issue with the red stuff on my 550, but with my 450 i have had to use screw extractor too many times.

I just stick with the BLUE now, haven't had any issues.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

i use the blue. the loctite that comes with the kit works fine too. btw, i have used the blue on three 600s, three 700s, three 550s, a 500, 450, and countless helis that i have built while helping out in the LHS and haven't seen any problems. certainly nothing wrong with you approach but it isn't necessary.

there isn't much on a 550 that is factory assembled.
koppterx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Loctite Blue 242 here. May try that 243 and 425 sometime.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use Loctite blue, and more recently switched to the Loctite blue sticks

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-16...ite-37643.aspx

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats cool, I didn't know they made locktite sticks.
Where do you get it? Menards / Home Depot
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

i use the loctite blue now, been using blue but was permatex i believe which i've had a few issues with. the grip bolts on the 450 flat out didn't set once (maybe oil) but i just finished rebuilding the head on my 550. put her on the bench to change the rpm on the governor and gave her a quick look over before putting her away and noticed a little play in the grips, first thought was the dampers were going since she's got some flights on her but i second guessed myself and took the blades off to check the bolts and sure enough one of the grip bolts was loose, these bolts have been in place for a while now and just started backing out. does loctite have a lifespan once something has been fastened? my heart skipped a beat when if felt that bolt loose, she wasn't fly off the heli loose yet but wouldn't have taken long, lesson learned, don't assume this stuff won't randomly break loose on it's own, check yo bolts
shein95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by shein95 View Post
...lesson learned, don't assume this stuff won't randomly break loose on it's own, check yo bolts
Yup.
This happened to me after 400 trouble free flights. The heli started to wobble badly on spool down because of the imbalance.

T-Rex 550E V1 Classic Flybar: 600MX/BL70G, AR6200, DS610 x 3, Quark/DS650, 16t/520mm blades.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

For places like the feathering shaft where it is virtually impossible to get all the grease or oil off the threads, I use the blue Loctite 243 instead of the more common blue 242. Ron Lund is the only place I've seen that sells it. http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli-prod/LOCTITE243.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 08.27.15 AM.jpg
Views:	3116
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	334785  
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have allways Used " clear " nail polish..Holds great, And yet still easy enough to undo..Plus the nail brush Makes for a clean application.
Dajavu*Xion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like the blue "T43" thats in the Align kits, it seems thicker/stickier. The blue Loctite i've had is more watery.
JustinS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my limited experience, both the blue Loctite and the Align blue T43 hold screws well. However, I find the Align blue T43 much more difficult to remove from the screws whenever I need to remove the screws for either maintenance, modifications, or rebuilds. With the blue Loctite, using the X-acto blade and denatured alcohol suffices. With the Align T43, I often have to use the torch to get the screws fully cleaned.

Also, I prefer the liquid consistency of the blue Loctite 242 over the thick consistency of the Align T43. The liquid Loctite 242 wicks well in the screw threads. I find the thicker consistency Align T43 messier to use. BTW, the blue Loctite 243 is also of thick gel-like consistency.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used both 243 and 242 in builds. 243 is too thick and I only use it on places which come loose with 242, such as tail boom brace screws, tail rotor feathering spindle screws, etc - high vibration areas. Use 242 everywhere else, unless again, I notice some screw keeps coming undone.

I built Gaui X5 with 243 and that was too much - after a few disassemblies, I was literally pulling out the screw with the thread from the block attached to it by threadlock. Needless to say that's a stripped thread now and parts need to be replaced.

I built both E5 and E7se with 242, but I noticed that after a 4-6 test flights a bunch of screws were not as tight now. I tightened them up again, will see how it goes. Maybe with Synergy threads 243 is the way to go. Definitely don't use 243 on a Gaui though.
prokyon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in