Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I was only testing it in my tiny backyard, and couldn't do anything more than just hovering. I'll bring it out to a school yard this weekend to test out how fast the GPS hold will engage, if weather cooperates.

They don't call it "self leveling rescue" mode, but the Altitude Hold (AH) mode is pretty much it. It'll force itself stay up right using self leveling and also keep the same altitude. Just like the SK, it would still continue gliding to whatever direction it was travelling. It would just keep the AH. On the other hand, the GPS hold "should" hold it in place as soon as it is engage.

EDIT: Just noticed that I posted my GPS Hold test on the other thread. Moving it back here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley888 View Post
Finally got a chance to test out the GPS hold.

We have clear sky and a bit windy at time. About 15mph plus wind gust. Since it had a slight TBE when I last test it, I've decreased the autopilot gain to 80%. It helped a bit. I still need to decrease the front/back gain a bit more.

Now that I kind of know how it flies, I took it right up in manual mode and flip the Alt Hold at about 2m. It held there rock solid. Even wind gust couldn't push it down for more than a foot. Then I flip it to GPS hold and gone hands free. With light wind, it holds very well, within 1-2 feet. I let it just hold there for the rest of the battery pack for about 6 minutes. It worked really well.

To land it, this time, I kept it in GPS mode. I pull the throttle down slowly until the heli touch the ground. Then I flip the TH, then change from GPS mode to manual mode and the motor shut down. It worked really well. Very graceful landing.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

How "busy" was it during the GPS position hold?

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's extremely quiet and stable. Very similar to their multicopter product. I'll shoot a video as soon as it stops raining here.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rob, just for you. It's cold and wet outside.

[ame]http://youtu.be/K5WpSFHhSsM?t=53s[/ame]

Still need to play with the various gain and different parameters. It still have slight TBE when wind pushes it.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice
mhoebrec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just for kick, I removed my custom anti-vibration mount and have the Naza-H directly stick to the heli with the very thin tapes that came with the Naza. The heli flies just as well. It doesn't seem to be affected by the vibration at all.

Now that I'm more comfortable with the Naza-H, I did more aggressive testing in my backyard. Well, relatively aggressive since my backyard is very tiny. I swing the heli hard by pushing the aileron control all the way to the left. Flip into GPS mode and it doesn't seem to have any quick counter motion to try to stop it. Since I have very limited area to test, I have to push the aileron all the way to the right to stop it from moving. The heli was at about 30 degree to stop it from keep going. I have to test it more in a bigger area.

Regarding using it as a hard deck, I don't think it is possible. I push the throttle control all the way up and down and noticed that in GPS mode, the throttle only control how fast it go up or down depends on how far away from where you flip the GPS switch. In my case, it was about 70% (instead of mid-stick 50% compare to the NAZA for multicopter). When I had the heli plummeting to the ground, I had to push the throttle stick all the way up in GPS mode to stop it.

In short, I think the NAZA-H is really targetting for AP use. Not for bait out or hard deck.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Look forward to some more intensive testing!

Thanks for the feedback and demo so far - I have just ordered one to try out for my FPV project.
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
invertsick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeflyboy View Post
Look forward to some more intensive testing!

Thanks for the feedback and demo so far - I have just ordered one to try out for my FPV project.
You're welcome. I have fun testing it as well. The weather should be good this weekend. I'll try to shoot some video for testing failsafe.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Rob, just for you. It's cold and wet outside.

http://youtu.be/K5WpSFHhSsM?t=53s

Still need to play with the various gain and different parameters. It still have slight TBE when wind pushes it.
Not bad, not bad. Not quite as stable or smooth as the -M units seem, or maybe it's just some tuning. In particular, I see a bit of vertical tail wobble.

Can you tune the pitch and roll settings seperately from eachother?

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, you can tune the pitch and roll settings separately. I've decreased the auto-pilot gain quite a bit and it helps, but it still wobble a bit when wind push it.

I think it might have something to do with my heli being completely not tuned. Since hurricane Sandy, I've been doing big clean up inside the house. It's much neater, but I can't find anything now. lol. More importantly, I can't find my pitch gauge. The heli that's testing the Naza-H didn't go through any of the swashplate leveling or pitch adjustments. Even though I went through the NAZA-H Setup wizard, all of the adjustment were by just looking at it and guesstimate.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Yes, you can tune the pitch and roll settings separately. I've decreased the auto-pilot gain quite a bit and it helps, but it still wobble a bit when wind push it.

I think it might have something to do with my heli being completely not tuned. Since hurricane Sandy, I've been doing big clean up inside the house. It's much neater, but I can't find anything now. lol. More importantly, I can't find my pitch gauge. The heli that's testing the Naza-H didn't go through any of the swashplate leveling or pitch adjustments. Even though I went through the NAZA-H Setup wizard, all of the adjustment were by just looking at it and guesstimate.
You are a brave man and a good guesstimater. Sorry for your losses with Sandy. Glad to see that there is sometime for flying.
AMA #844172 DJI S1000 Lightbridge Zen for 5D, S900 LB Zen for BMPCC, DJI Phantom 2 Vision +, P2Z2 with Data Link, P2Z3 with LB DJI Forum Support
Tahoe Ed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 450 Naza H

does anyone know why the heli wobbles when in GPS mode??
djalen5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

having issue with my trex 450 with naza h. when I GPS mode it wobbles really bad. any ideas what will be causing it?
djalen5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in