Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro

Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 02:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

If u havent heard there basicly coming out with a whole new tail for the V90....if u listen to the rchelination podcast the had Bert K on the show and he talk about how all the issues with the tail will be taken care of with in the next 90 days or so....like parts will be available to by that soon....keep an eye for all the new stuff

listen here

http://rchelination.com/wp-content/show/rchnv2ep15.mp3

http://rchelination.com/index.php?op...hive&Itemid=92
Fusion 50 9080/9088 Beast X
Velocity 50n 9080/9088 VbarSAB Goblin 9180/9188 Kontronik helijive Coming soon
AnTi Taco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post
The V90 does not normally suffer from stripped tail gears
Don't tell me that.

I've ripped out 3 main gears (2 in flight, sheering nearly all the teeth off). Balled up a set of rear tail gears in a 3 foot hover and managed to get it down.... And most recently ate a set of the front gear box 'black' improved gears in a piro flip. Last week I noticed a vibrating tail and caught a stripped tooth on one of the rear bevel gears, black again.

Maybe the heli is cursed to eat gears, but I've never had that issue on my 3 velo 50's, nor my Rave ENV or Fusion 50.

Maybe it's just bad luck, who knows. I still enjoy flying it.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Now i think its better not to trust the black or the white ones...color remains to be color. I think it needs all the attention to fix the hardware and to get gears of luck!

On my v50, the 4 sets of new front end gears sold in a single pack could not make a smooth run on the boom block until i mixed the up. It seems the gears are not perfectly round and the good ones are mixed with the diffected ones. At half rotation the mesh is tight rock! I dont know what kind of mold is being used there...lots of gear issues i have ever heard on rc helis...so if it happens you didnt check this you will stripp them for sure. Boom block play check is not the only check that we need to do i think.

I wonder why then the black front and rear end gears of the v90 are stripping!
Old 01-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeed09 View Post
Now i think its better not to trust the black or the white ones...color remains to be color. I think it needs all the attention to fix the hardware and to get gears of luck!

On my v50, the 4 sets of new front end gears sold in a single pack could not make a smooth run on the boom block until i mixed the up. It seems the gears are not perfectly round and the good ones are mixed with the diffected ones. At half rotation the mesh is tight rock! I dont know what kind of mold is being used there...lots of gear issues i have ever heard on rc helis...so if it happens you didnt check this you will stripp them for sure. Boom block play check is not the only check that we need to do i think.

I wonder why then the black front and rear end gears of the v90 are stripping!
One thing I've noticed with the outrage gears when looking at them compared to the ENV or Trex is the steep crown they have. I've always wondered if the pitch angle isn't giving enough 'bite' for the gear mesh. The Rave's and Trex gears are much flatter at the mesh.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

well said Eric..i mentioned that point in fusion 50 forum and some argued. Outrage please give the users a choice! CNC aluminium gears, derlin something that wont let down these nice machines!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone tried using Align, Aeolus, or some other gears in the Velocity?
I have all three brands and they all look very similar.

I just happen to have my tail box apart on my Velocity 90 now. I'm changing out the white gears for black.

I haven't had any troubles with the white gears so far but I've only did some basic hovering, piro's, and pitch pumps etc. tuning the new heli, radio, and engine in.

Tomorrow I'll check and see if the other gears I have will fit. The ones I have are for the 600 size machines though, so I don't know if they would be the same size.

If they do fit I wouldn't see any harm in just putting a different brand in the Velocity till they figure it out.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you say tail box, do you mean the boom block or the tail case? Please let us know after you hav tried the other gears.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any one else stripping the tail gears guys?am about to bring the machine back to bussiness!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I checked the Aeolus tail gears against the V-90 tonight and they are too small. Both the shaft and the gears themselves.
I have a Trex 700E coming in the next few day's, I'll check them and see what they look like.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its difficult to get a gear of other brands to fit in there..i remember that even the trex 700 dont match. Are you switching to align?

Ok...any one knows why the black gears are stripping? If am going to crash becouse of tail gears, am going to hate to fly this thing
Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

No I'm not switching to Align, I already have a 450 and a 550 Align that I love.
I just happen to have a 700 e airframe coming that I thought I'd get into the 700 class elec. on.
I just got the Velocity 90 a few weeks ago. I've only just did some basic flying around the yard getting it all tuned in. Yes I'm a heli slut

I like the Velocity quite a bit so far but I'm getting a vibe in the tail fins so I added the third torque tube bearing, went to 5 tail rod supports, and upgraded to the black tail gears in the rear tail box only.
I did sand the front tail box halves just to make sure everything was tight, but even before I did that they seemed fine as far as the gear mesh etc. in the front.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

No one saw that heli and said it was ugly..it will catch you from the first look. Its cute and it flies smart.

Did you have your tail touch down in any situation or when you had crashed due to the main gear? Maybe then the tail gears stripped becouse they were allready weak from the previous impacts.

Anyone else with tail gear problems?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are the guys that are having trouble with tail gears lubing the gears with grease or are you running them dry?
Costas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally run them dry...if i lube them, i think they will collect dust and cause more problems. Secondly am not sure if the material used to manufacture these gears is compatible with lubrication susbtances..

Do you lube them?

Last edited by saeed09; 01-28-2012 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: spell check!
saeed09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I read somewhere that someone, that I thought at the time anyway, who was in the know did lightly lube the plastic gears on the heli's so just for the hell of it I lubed mine with some silicone based assembly lube.
My Trex 550 got a whole lot quieter. I only have one or two flights on my heli's since lubing the main, and tail gears but so far so good.

I don't know if they run any more efficient or not, I don't have any data logger or such.
Sure hope I didn't screw up as I did all 6 of my heli's when I did it.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeed09 View Post
Do you lube them?
Yes I do - Just a very light coating of TriFlow grease. The type of grease is not critical as long as it is compatible with nylon/plastic. I don't bother with the main gear, just the small bevels in the tail box and the other end.

I prefer the TriFlow grease as it is very sticky/tacky and does not fly off too easily. You only need a very light coating for it to work.

The grease simply reduces heat buildup as it just reduces friction. You would be surprised to see how much heat is generated when running these sort of gears dry.

I also fly a TDR and it is recommended practice on such a high speed machine such as the TDR. If you don't grease all the gears on a TDR, you end up with stripping or premature wear from the heat produced in the gears. The heat builds up, distorts the gear slightly and then it strips or wears excessively.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:21 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok thats nice to know. I will try to find that type of grease..i dont think so its easily available here around my place.

From Where do you get it Costas?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is common in the US and here in Aus.

Commonly used by bicycle shops.

Just about any grease will work though - Just ensure that it is a 'sticky' type of grease which helps it stay on the gears.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok ill check it out...
Old 01-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok then i got another question friends..!
The flybar control roads( flybar cage) is there any updates on them? I read in other forums that they snap in the air. I set my head with pitch cylic of -+ 10 and collective of 12-13deg. Am not comftable with less cyclic than 10deg at intermidiate settup. Are these rods still breaking? Is there any other option to replace this...Trex 700's are short but seems strong!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in