Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > CJY Total-G FBL System

CJY Total-G FBL System Curtis Youngblood Total-G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can pit my Kasama Faifa TG against any Vbar equipped heli. I think there is a lot of Bshit flying..

I see guy getting rid of their Vbar and Beast X, dumping them and tell everybody that they are piece of junk. If you do not understand your heli and how to set it up, no matter how many different FBL unit you try, you will not make it right.

I dumped a Full Vbar FBL unit for the Total G. And never regret it. I know the VBar work and some just cannot see anything else in their soup, but it is not for me.

The Total G is a receiver, Govenor and tail gyro. So far it is not the case for the Vbar and Beast. It does more and time is needed to understand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote ''I can report from first hand experience that my TotalG will do strange things if there is a power interruption while it initializes. I have to take care when connecting the battery to the ESC so that the connectors are note momentarily disconnected and connected again. I can reproduce this on the bench. Side efffects can affect both the swashplate and the tail. Sometimes its a reversed aileron channel and other times its a dead tail. One time it switched the whole control system to mode 1. My Tx is mode 2. This used to happen more often when I was using Deans connectors but it happens less often with XT60s. Stiil it has happened even with XT60s so I take great care when connecting the battery and I double check all controls before flying. I do the tilt and pioette test and I check all the stick inputs are correct. I mentioned this a while back but never got much of a response. Noone seemed to take it seriously. Personally I think CYE should acknowlege the problem and fix it or there should be a big warning message in the manual. God forbid someone gets injured from this one day.''

Power interruption during initializing should not be allowed on any unit. This is a no no on computer and many software based electronic. Some ESC will just stop functioning if you interrupt power during programming.

How hard is to make sure you are plugged in on a reliable power source ?? As far as I am concerned, if you allow this to happen, this is your problem - user related problem - not the unit that is to blame and this - no matter the brand you use..
Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by UH1H View Post
Power interruption during initializing should not be allowed on any unit. This is a no no on computer and many software based electronic. Some ESC will just stop functioning if you interrupt power during programming.

How hard is to make sure you are plugged in on a reliable power source ?? As far as I am concerned, if you allow this to happen, this is your problem - user related problem - not the unit that is to blame and this - no matter the brand you use..
This is a typical response from a person defending his favourite toy. Anyone else who has a problem with it, well it's obviously their fault and they must have done something wrong. There's no point in trying to find out if there really is a problem with the TotalG because it's perfect and there couldn't possibly be a problem with it. I hope nobody gets injured from your advice.

Why don't you tell me how to plug in an XT60 connector without getting a power interruption. It's not like I'm shaking my hand while plugging it in. I just plug it in as carefully as I can without losing contact momentarily. Maybe there is a special way that you know and can detect. If you don't see or hear a spark when connecting it then what are you supposed to check? All I can do is double check thet flight controls before takeoff. Maybe you have a better way. Please enlighten me.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The only issue I had with my Total G was a faulty Y harness. I am using it it external receiver mode and while powering up both the receiver and my Total G it started glitching.
Since then I am using a straight servo extension male to male and plug power into the top FC or Gyro ports.
mystar60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbouni View Post
This is a typical response from a person defending his favourite toy. Anyone else who has a problem with it, well it's obviously their fault and they must have done something wrong. There's no point in trying to find out if there really is a problem with the TotalG because it's perfect and there couldn't possibly be a problem with it. I hope nobody gets injured from your advice.

Why don't you tell me how to plug in an XT60 connector without getting a power interruption. It's not like I'm shaking my hand while plugging it in. I just plug it in as carefully as I can without losing contact momentarily. Maybe there is a special way that you know and can detect. If you don't see or hear a spark when connecting it then what are you supposed to check? All I can do is double check thet flight controls before takeoff. Maybe you have a better way. Please enlighten me.
I am not defending a favorite toy. I am saying that interrupting power to any electronic device that need to initiate a sequence, is a way to induce failure.

I am using dean connector and there is no power interruption when I connect it.How simple it is to plug in a connector ?? Yes there is a spark ( not always) but if this bother you, modify your harness and add a spark arrestor - a resistance - to avoid that.

You could also use a back up power pack - to connect to the Total G with a switch. You can initialize the Total G with the back up power and then plug your main batteries to supply the BEC and power to the Total G. The Total G has a port for alternate power.

What more can you do than check the flight control before take off ? After you plug in - check the led light on the unit go from red to amber and then check the swashplate tilt has confirmation that the unit is initialized. This is in the instruction manual of the Total G.

Hope this help.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am not defending a favorite toy. I am saying that interrupting power to any electronic device that need to initiate a sequence, is a way to induce failure.
Yes but it's how a system copes with failure that is important. If you look at my signature you will see I have many other FBL helicopters and none of them have this problem. I'm using XT60s on my T-Rex 450 Pro and I plug it in the same way and fly it all the time. I have 12 packs for it and I'll often fly all of them in one day.

Quote:
I am using dean connector and there is no power interruption when I connect it.How simple it is to plug in a connector ?? Yes there is a spark ( not always) but if this bother you, modify your harness and add a spark arrestor - a resistance - to avoid that.
Yes I was using a genuine Deans Ultra connector before and it was even worse. The problem was happening more frequently but less now with XT60s. The spark does not bother me. You should see the spark when I plug in a 12s pack on my Logo. Never had an issue with it. It's when you post 'palm to face' emoticons like you just did that bother's me. It shows a complete lack of respect or care to solve a person's problem. You need to give people some credit and not treat them as if they're stupid. If you were here I would demonstrate connecting the power and reproducing the problem. Then I would ask you to do the same and I bet money you would get the same problem after several tries.

Quote:
You could also use a back up power pack - to connect to the Total G with a switch. You can initialize the Total G with the back up power and then plug your main batteries to supply the BEC and power to the Total G. The Total G has a port for alternate power.
Yes I could use a backup pack. That is your first useful suggstion. Thank you.

Quote:
What more can you do than check the flight control before take off ? After you plug in - check the led light on the unit go from red to amber and then check the swashplate tilt has confirmation that the unit is initialized. This is in the instruction manual of the Total G.
Yes exactly, this is what I do before every flight on all my helis. That's what I'm saying to people here. I'm warning people that they need to check their flight controls and do a tilt test before every flight. Anyone who doesn't do this risks crashing their heli or even worse injuring someone.

Look I'm not trying to put down the TotalG. It flies great, which is why I haven't taken it out of my Rave 450. I could easily give up and just use a VBar or BeastX but I like the way it flies. It has a more natural feel about it than VBar. I am aware of the issue and I know how to work around it. I trust myself to fly safely with this product, even at competitions and public display events. However, over here in the UK TotalG it has reputation for random failure and few people fly with it. You can say what you want about those people but it doesn't improve the reputation of the product and people are still putting their money into BeastX or VBar. It's hard enough to build a good reputation in the first place, let a lone repair a damaged one. Few people are going to sell their BeastX and buy a TotalG because of what we say here. CYE has to be seen to be actively improving the product. Let's hope the next version of TotalG will dispell all doubts and become very successful.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I just traded my beast x for another total g

I have spent flight after flight on the beast x tail and it is so inconsistent.

Tommy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tommy Wagner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

...Frikin Tot g just went haywire and crashed my 6HV...not happy.....Time for a change, I thought It was a 'small glitch'...Nope, I have officially had enough!!...
Corrari is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hear that.

Did you notice any strange behaviors with the PC interface and your unit when it was connected?
MXRACERX43 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

..yes, and sometimes, when initialising it would do the same!!. I would just power down then back up and it would be ok. This is not good...I am now convinced that there is either a 'bad batch' or a serious problem with these units.

I have PM'd Brian to help.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sounds similar to what I had going on. Are you using JR/Spek sats on yours?
I am really convinced there is an underlying issue when using it with Sats.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

..I am using a new ar8000 dsmx with dx7s...had the same prob with my old ar7000 and dx7.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmmm the common variable I found with others who had the issue I did was the Sat RX's.

If all other components are checking out hate to say it but ditch the thing. Unfortunatley you r gonna find the resale value on these things is stupid low compared to the cost.

I had super high hopes for it as soon as word of its release was out. I actually pre-ordered 4 from my local dealer and only ended up with one unit (thankfully) do to backorders. I had flying buddies giving me hell for all the effort and $ I put out with that thing. In the end ditching it for another system was the best possible solution I could have ever made.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrari View Post
..yes, and sometimes, when initialising it would do the same!!. I would just power down then back up and it would be ok. This is not good...I am now convinced that there is either a 'bad batch' or a serious problem with these units.

I have PM'd Brian to help.
Man that totally sucks. What happened exactly?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought my second TG off a HF member. Ever since I installed it it has had a funny glitch where the elev goes haywire....all i do is power cycle it a couple of times and seems to come right. This time i noticed, when sitting on the ground, if i turn FC on (hobby wing esc where i have to manualy engage FC once in the air) the elev servo starts to go from one extream to the other....mind of its own.
I mentioned this prob here a few days ago where a 'fix' was emailed to me in the form of an update.

..Never fixed the prob 100%, however was less consistant. Today, had just lifted off, flicked my FC switch to on, then the heli started giving extreme elev inputs, "rocking' violently fowards and backwards....I hit TH, but made no diff as the heli landed, it 'fliped' itself over due to the elev servo....when i got to the heli, i still noticed the elev servo goin nuts.....Major prob...This unit is obviously faulty. Mentioned it to some of my hewli mates here in NZ and they agree that something is up with some of the TG units...

I have lost faith i am sorry to say. I am hopeful that CYB will help me out if i send the unit back to them,
Old 12-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That really sucks, sorry for the loss man. I hope the damage isn't too bad.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

The damage isnt bad;

Boom
Main and tail blds
Tail shaft
main gear.

The prob i have, is that this sorta 'wasn't my fault' incident is costing me and im starting to re consider my interest in this overwhelmingly rewarding, fun and enjoyable hobby of rc helicopters.

IN the last month i have suffered a failed tail servo, brand new, outa the box fail. A align motor that failed on first spool up, and a hobbywing ESC that blew the capacitors.

All instances have required me to pay for repairs and having to wait while my LHS sends the failed items away for repair of replacement!!!.

Now I have a brand new Kasama Srimok which has a Total G and a Castle ice2 HV120 ESC, Both of these brands have caused crashes in the past.

I understand the risks involved with rc hobbies, but I just seem to be havin the worst luck lately.

Silly thing is, when the heli is goin well, and I am flying well, something usually happens which means maintenance.Then, If something changes, it fails.

Time to look at a 450..

...Anyhoo, 'rant' over....
Old 12-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbouni View Post
Yes but it's how a system copes with failure that is important. If you look at my signature you will see I have many other FBL helicopters and none of them have this problem. I'm using XT60s on my T-Rex 450 Pro and I plug it in the same way and fly it all the time. I have 12 packs for it and I'll often fly all of them in one day.

Yes I was using a genuine Deans Ultra connector before and it was even worse. The problem was happening more frequently but less now with XT60s. The spark does not bother me. You should see the spark when I plug in a 12s pack on my Logo. Never had an issue with it. It's when you post 'palm to face' emoticons like you just did that bother's me. It shows a complete lack of respect or care to solve a person's problem. You need to give people some credit and not treat them as if they're stupid. If you were here I would demonstrate connecting the power and reproducing the problem. Then I would ask you to do the same and I bet money you would get the same problem after several tries.

Nothing is perfect in this Hobby..look at all the tread on equipment failure. If your unit if faulty send it for repair or get rid of it - and stop bitching about it.

Yes exactly, this is what I do before every flight on all my helis. That's what I'm saying to people here. I'm warning people that they need to check their flight controls and do a tilt test before every flight. Anyone who doesn't do this risks crashing their heli or even worse injuring someone.
I think you should loosen up a bit..the emoticon are there to be fun and used. You seem very hard ass...

As for ''how a system cope with failure that is important" this is BS. A unit that fail - stop working - when component fail inside a unit - it fail - what the unit does then is anybody guess.

As for your suggestion to check the tilt you invented nothing there..it is in the FBL unit instruction.

To get to the bottom of it.. I disconnected the power to my Total G right after a few second of powering it...then plug it back on...it initialized fine
The I did ti again..waiting for the RED led to come on and disconnected again...powered it again and it initialized fine
Then I did it a third time..waiting until the AMBER led came on..an disconnected the power to it..then reconnected...the unit initialized as normal.

This is not the thing to do..but it show that you might have another issue. My unit work fine. There is nothing in connecting a 12S packs - the spark do not affect the Total G anyway the unit I have on my FAIFA.With that said and tested..my unit is a early unit with the V2 update.It has 500 + flight on it.

Look at all the treads and you will find that there is equipment failure happening in all brand. Get your unit repaired or get rid of it - but stop bitching about it.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrari View Post
The damage isnt bad;

Boom
Main and tail blds
Tail shaft
main gear.

The prob i have, is that this sorta 'wasn't my fault' incident is costing me and im starting to re consider my interest in this overwhelmingly rewarding, fun and enjoyable hobby of rc helicopters.

IN the last month i have suffered a failed tail servo, brand new, outa the box fail. A align motor that failed on first spool up, and a hobbywing ESC that blew the capacitors.

All instances have required me to pay for repairs and having to wait while my LHS sends the failed items away for repair of replacement!!!.

Now I have a brand new Kasama Srimok which has a Total G and a Castle ice2 HV120 ESC, Both of these brands have caused crashes in the past.

I understand the risks involved with rc hobbies, but I just seem to be havin the worst luck lately.

Silly thing is, when the heli is goin well, and I am flying well, something usually happens which means maintenance.Then, If something changes, it fails.

Time to look at a 450..

...Anyhoo, 'rant' over....
Just make sure you have an alternate source of power ( another battery pack ) to back up your ESC, connected to the Total G.This is a good thing to do with any FBL unit.

As for the Total G..it if does not behave as it should - as per instruction - do not fly it. I had good success with the Total G on my Kasama. The gyro mount is a bit small but I use outdoor permanent double side tape on my unit and nothing move.

We all have bad luck string at one time or another...hope yours stop soon...hang on !!!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There is one thing to take note of here. The only time I've had the servo dip was with the early firmware. If it was powered up and the servo did not dip, it was ok to fly and I did many times until I updated it to the firmware that fixed it. When using Spektrum satellites make sure each plug is pulled to one side making for sure the sat pins all make good contact with plugs. I've found that these sat plugs are poorly made and some are a loose fit inside when connected. This is just one of the reasons I went Futaba Faast. I did not however have the issues you are describing. This sounds like this unit has an issue if it's not the sats connectors. Of all the TG's I've set up I've personally never seen a malfunctioning unit yet. The only way to determine the problem is to have it checked out. Especially if it was not new in the box purchase. I'm sorry to hear of the problems you have experienced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in