Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > RealFlight Flight Sim

RealFlight Flight Sim All versions of RealFlight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default USB to USB... from computer to TV?

Hey guys what's up? I have a question and hoping for some help. I have been running the RF 7.5 on a all-in-one desk top and would like to hook it to the tv. My TV has both a usb and hdmi port but the computer only has a usb port. I first purchased a hdmi cord and ordered a hdmi/usb converter box but received the wrong one, so my question is will this work, straight usb to usb? I also have a sound plug/cord I guess I can use for sound. Thank you!
BladeScraperz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScraperz View Post
Hey guys what's up? I have a question and hoping for some help. I have been running the RF 7.5 on a all-in-one desk top and would like to hook it to the tv. My TV has both a usb and hdmi port but the computer only has a usb port. I first purchased a hdmi cord and ordered a hdmi/usb converter box but received the wrong one, so my question is will this work, straight usb to usb? I also have a sound plug/cord I guess I can use for sound. Thank you!
In short no.

TV USB is usually for data (photo's movies, etc..) The TV is expecting a file system, not a video input in USB.

Computer USB -> HDMI will need a box and an operating system driver to transfer the video signal to a USB stream (usually compressed). The box attached to the USB will read the USB video stream from the driver and convert it into an HDMI video signal for the TV.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can't use USB-to-USB between your computer an TV to get video on the TV. You CAN buy "USB -> HDMI" converters that might work. These basically look like USB "video cards" to your computer, then they output to your TV via HDMI. If you go this route, be sure the USB->HDMI thing you're buying has device drivers for the version of Windows you are running.

However, note these "USB -> HDMI" convertors usually do some compression so you'll get a little bit lower quality video and a tiny bit of lag (you may not notice the lag) vs the all-in-one's built in display.

UPDATE: *Ohh. ArchMageAU already responded. He covered everything*
kirby_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You must have a VGA or dvi port on the computer. If dvi you can have hd picture with an adapter for a hdmi cable. VGA is possible too, I believe, won't be hd though
thepiper92 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
You must have a VGA or dvi port on the computer.
No it may not. Some modern "all-in-one" (as the OP said) PCs don't have many external connections. It's a PC, with a built in display. Think of it like a large laptop with fewer external ports.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HDMI adapter

I work in IT and have used the USB to HDMI and USB to VGA adapters. While they work fine for excel spreadsheets and basic web browsing, there refresh rate is generally way to low for smooth video or gaming.

I hope you have different results, but I would expect poor and jerky video.

Sorry to burst your bubble..
deanwesterburg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby_ View Post
No it may not. Some modern "all-in-one" (as the OP said) PCs don't have many external connections. It's a PC, with a built in display. Think of it like a large laptop with fewer external ports.
It should have some external display adapter, I would think, could be wrong. I feel it should be mandatory, for reasons like your primary display dying. At least then you can access your computer. Even most laptops have hdmi ports, or VGA like my older laptop.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alright guys thank you much! I kinda feared this wouldn't work out to well with my setup but I'm ok with that, thought it would be awesome to tic toc the nitro 700 on my 72in flat screen with surround sound lol!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScraperz View Post
Alright guys thank you much! I kinda feared this wouldn't work out to well with my setup but I'm ok with that, thought it would be awesome to tic toc the nitro 700 on my 72in flat screen with surround sound lol!
Another thing you have to watch for is if you have the performance to run on a large screen. With any mid grade CPU and GPU I wouldn't go over a 25 inch screen for more demanding games, of course assuming the games are rendered for larger screens. Furthermore, it may look terrible on a big screen, and it won't be up to what you expected.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Another thing you have to watch for is if you have the performance to run on a large screen. With any mid grade CPU and GPU I wouldn't go over a 25 inch screen for more demanding games, of course assuming the games are rendered for larger screens. Furthermore, it may look terrible on a big screen, and it won't be up to what you expected.
Ok, thank you!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

The thing thepiper92 said about, "may look terrible on a big screen" is absolutely true. But it's the same problem as displaying a Blu-Ray on a 19" HDTV vs a 75" HDTV. The resolution is 1920x1080 pixels on both screens so the pixels just have to be bigger and your eye sees that as more blocky.
I'm use RF 7.5 on a 40"-ish HDTV and I thought it looked fine. More than enough to fly!

About the video card struggling with a bigger display, however...
In my experience it's the resolution of the display, not the physical screen size that puts stress on the video card. When outputting from a computer to TV via HDMI the output resolution is almost always 1920x1080. This is true regardless of TV screen size. My point is that if your video card can display RealFlight 7.5 at 1920x1080p with a reasonable frame rate, you should be fine on any size TV.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby_ View Post
The thing thepiper92 said about, "may look terrible on a big screen" is absolutely true. But it's the same problem as displaying a Blu-Ray on a 19" HDTV vs a 75" HDTV. The resolution is 1920x1080 pixels on both screens so the pixels just have to be bigger and your eye sees that as more blocky.
I'm use RF 7.5 on a 40"-ish HDTV and I thought it looked fine. More than enough to fly!

About the video card struggling with a bigger display, however...
In my experience it's the resolution of the display, not the physical screen size that puts stress on the video card. When outputting from a computer to TV via HDMI the output resolution is almost always 1920x1080. This is true regardless of TV screen size. My point is that if your video card can display RealFlight 7.5 at 1920x1080p with a reasonable frame rate, you should be fine on any size TV.
I should have stated that better. Bigger screen I meant as also increasing the resolution to achieve the same picture. It's also interesting to look at when you actually notice hd or 1920x1080. All of these hd smart phones...you can't tell 720 or 1080 on a small screen. With graphics cards, if you can play a game at 1280 resolution, 1920 will look the same on a larger screen, not better actually, but then you may have to lower graphics. Unless you run a custom gaming system, there will be a limit.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is absolutely correct. The video card doesn't care about the size of the screen and does not in any way provide the screen power or anything like that. Resolution is the key.

As stated, so things look worse the bigger you go. Phoenix looks great on my 42" 1080p tv. That's 1920x1080 resolution.
deanwesterburg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in