Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis > Titan X50E

Titan X50E Thunder Tiger Titan X50E Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail vibration

I've got a tail vibration I can't find. I've been chasing it for so long, I'm not sure if it's not normal. How much does your tail vibrate? I can see the tail fin vibrate in flight and it's causing the tail servo to dance. Everything from the tail boom back has been replaced along with the main and feather shaft. When I run it on the bench, i can feel a very fast vibration in the tail. Where else should I look?

Thank
khigerd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine is very smooth and vib-free. Sounds like either a bent tail rotor shaft, tailcase bearings, or out of balanced tail blades. I replaced the stock plastic tail blades with radix 92mm ones and this smoothed it out even better.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank for the reply Tom. I thought mine used to be smoother than it is now. Everything is new from the boom back. Hub, shaft, tail case and bearings, gears, drive shaft, and blades, all new. I've even tried 3 bearings on the drive shaft. Can something be transfering from further forward?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe check your main blade balance? Try a small piece of tape on one blade at a time, run it up, trial and error, and see if this helps. I usually do this as a final step to make it all as smooth as possible.

Cheers,
TomC
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The vibration is still present while running without the main blades. I ordered a set of carbon fiber tail blades and give them a try.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Long shot here: Are your torque tube bearings spaced equally on the shaft, or are they offset so you have unequal distances between bearings? You want the latter. If they are equal distances apart it sets up harmonic vibrations.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had very nasty tail vibes when I first built mine, to the point where it bent the tail shaft while spooling on the bench. I swapped the Mavrikk 95s over to Edge 95s and it seems to have solved it.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
Long shot here: Are your torque tube bearings spaced equally on the shaft, or are they offset so you have unequal distances between bearings? You want the latter. If they are equal distances apart it sets up harmonic vibrations.
Right now, I'm back to the standard setup on the tailshaft bearing. I eye balled the bearings on the shaft so I'm not sure of the spacing with out measuring. Good to know. Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I had very nasty tail vibes when I first built mine, to the point where it bent the tail shaft while spooling on the bench. I swapped the Mavrikk 95s over to Edge 95s and it seems to have solved it.
While waiting for the carbin fiber tail blades, I tried Tom's tape suggestion. I put the tail hub assembly on a prop balancer and was amazed how far off it was. After 4 inches of scotch tape its alot smoother.

Thanks for the suggestion Tom.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had good luck with the Edge tail blades as well.

With the servo link off of at the servo you should be able to move the tail pitch easily. Like buttery easily. I have found when its all very smooth you can run higher gains in your gyro. Also keeping the slop to a minimum helps.
skytrekin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

As stated above, can't have equal spacing on bearing on torque tube,.. you always want dissimilar lengths of torq tube between supports or it sets up a sine wave and you get a buzz/shake/etc. It's not hugely critical where the bearing(s) are, just that you don't have equal lengths of torque tube on either side
gwright is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in