Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 03:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Stress limitations on heli frame?

Hello all,

Just started flying my first real Heli and love it. The logo 480x

I would like to ask, is there a stress limitation on the frame. I know from flying RC planes that you cant suddenly pull strong elevator when flying fast forward otherwise you would stress the wings and break them. Is this also true for a Heli? I see the pro's doing all sorts of high stress maneuvers on Helis

Thank you,
Iyad
Iyad Nihad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Riq
Registered Users

With a logo, hitting the ground is the only stress limitation.
Hammer away, use the worst collective management ever and it will be fine.
Riq is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riq View Post
With a logo, hitting the ground is the only stress limitation.
Hammer away, use the worst collective management ever and it will be fine.
+1 my 480 has hit the ground once. No frame damage. Have fun and fly it like ya stole it!

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, my 480 hit the ground, and not so hard, on the landing gear, and both frame sides were shattered. The boom wasn't damaged and the landing gear survived. But the sides were a total loss

Have had better luck with plastic frame logos. Haven't broken a frame yet, multiple kinds of crashes
Logo 480 XXtreme, Logo 550SX, Logo 690SX, Logo 800 XXtreme, TDR, Minicopter Diabolo 550, Minicopter Triabolo, Goblin 500, Goblin 700, Goblin 770, KDS Agile 5.5, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, HD Cell 500, Thunder Tiger E700
taosgraveyard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's honestly all about luck when it comes to crashes.. Rebuilding the frames on the 480xx honestly I don't think it's to bad.. You just have to take all your servos out which sucks..

But I think it's pretty enjoyable now disassembling Is another story...,.
_Kyle_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyad Nihad View Post
I would like to ask, is there a stress limitation on the frame.
Discussions about crashing aside, any quality, modern, 3D heli is designed to handle anything you can throw at it in the air. That certainly goes for the Logo 480 Xxtreme as well as many other models. You need not worry about the frames.

There are some components that can be overstressed. For instance it is a good idea to set up the Cyclic Ring in the VBar (or associated setting in other FBL units) to limit cyclic throw. That prevents the swash from moving so far that it binds the servos or places undo stress on linkages, etc. Not a problem generally, but along the lines of your question it's something to note.

Also there are guidelines specified for headspeed. Running higher than that exposes the blades, grips, and internal hardware to stresses beyond the designed levels. Doesn't mean anything will fail beyond that, but it's also something to be aware of. And of course an improper gear mesh (too loose) or gearing out of spec could lead to gears stripping in flight. Again, all of this is generally not an issue. If you build the model per the manual and make sure you have a good understanding of proper gear mesh, the 480 will give you hours of worry-free flying.

One thing, since you mentioned pushing a plane past its limits -- frames aren't an issue, but with most setups it is possible to push a heli's tail beyond its ability to meet demand. In those cases nothing will physically break, but the tail can stall and then whip hard once it recovers. A properly working tail won't do that unless you mix hard right rudder with hard collective. Also the tail pitch can be limited such that instead of blades stalling it will just lag behind.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thats good to hear.

Thank you all for your input. Thanks Hemp for the detailed clarification.

I will try my best not to crash it though
Old 03-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

extreme hs may be a problem.
i had a tail hub broken in the air and an expensive crash when ran too much hs on my logo 600. i would suggest not to exceed too much the manufacture's recommended limit.
ReadyToCrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015, 12:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Actually no need for High HS or fast horizontal tic tocs to enjoy a Heli.

A Heli in my opinion is not a speed object or a horizontal tic toc object, if you want speed then planes are the vessels for that. A Heli is made for vertical climbing and any sub maneuver related to that. It is most beautiful to use the object for its natural traits.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
if you want speed then planes are the vessels for that.
A rocket is a considerably better vessel for speed than a plane. Wings add a lot of unnecessary drag, for speed you just need enough fin to keep it going in a straight line.

Quote:
A Heli is made for vertical climbing and any sub maneuver related to that.
Horizontal tic-tocs are a maneuver related to vertical climbing! To perform a tic-toc is an incredibly delicate dance that requires generating lift in a specific direction from multiple different control surfaces throughout the maneuver and is something that only a helicopter can do (speaking of natural traits). It is quite fascinating from a physics and aerodynamics perspective. Understandable that not everyone sees the beauty in it, but I wouldn't discount other peoples' interest in 3D flying as trivial. Certainly some of it takes on a circus flair, but the same could be said of full-scale airshow flights in real planes.

My point is, your Logo 480 Xxtreme was not designed to hover and fly slow circuits. Those are scale helicopters, which you can also buy and many people enjoy immensely. That 480 was designed from the start to have the tar beat out of it in every conceivable orientation and live to fly another day, all the while being smooth and precise, even in a slow vertical climb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in