Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > JS TZ-V2 Frenzy

JS TZ-V2 Frenzy JS Models TZ-V2 Frenzy Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 140 to 120 swash setup?

Hi guys,

Just purchased a used JS Frenzy 50. The heli is almost brand new and looks like its in great shape, my question is this:
The previous owner upgraded the swash to a 140 setup. my radio (DX6i) does not support this setup, can you fly a 140 swash with the radio set to 120? if so, what would you change or adjust on the radio? or would it be better to just turn it back into a 120 swash? I have the parts and PO said its not hard to switch back.
I am a novice/intermediate flyer at best, and this is my first nitro. There will be no 3d for quite awhile yet! I dont mind leaving the setup as long as it wont be troublesome or more difficult to fly. Would kind of prefer to leave it installed as everything is setup correctly, but again don't want to make my life more difficult.........any help here would be great!

Wade
wadem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default 140 to 120 swash setup?

Hi guys, had originally placed this in the Frenzy specific category, but no takers. I think its a pretty generic question so I posted here as well....thanks for your help!

Just purchased a used JS Frenzy 50. The heli is almost brand new and looks like its in great shape, my question is this:
The previous owner upgraded the swash to a 140 setup. my radio (DX6i) does not support this setup, can you fly a 140 swash with the radio set to 120? if so, what would you change or adjust on the radio? or would it be better to just turn it back into a 120 swash? I have the parts and PO said its not hard to switch back.
I am a novice/intermediate flyer at best, and this is my first nitro. There will be no 3d for quite awhile yet! I dont mind leaving the setup as long as it wont be troublesome or more difficult to fly. Would kind of prefer to leave it installed as everything is setup correctly, but again don't want to make my life more difficult.........any help here would be great!

Wade
Old 12-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Unfortunately, you should just switch it back to 120. I'm sure you could fly it as-is, but you might end up with a lot of interactions that will make it fly pretty poorly so it's probably not worth taking a stab at it. If you're not that experienced, it might prove to be too much to overcome and you're better safe than sorry.

The other option is to ditch the 6i (which I recommend you do if you're flying a nitro) and get an 8+ channel radio. The better programming alone will make the swap worth it, plus you can always sell the 6i for a small cash-back deposit/repayment on the new radio.

I'm not a fan of the DX8 whatsoever, but the programming is pretty much the same as on the 6i, so that would be a good choice for you. I would personally opt for an X9503 or 11X if sticking with JR/Spektrum.

For alternatives, I would look at the Airtronics SD-10G (fastest radio on the market)

For Futaba, the 8FG (I think that's the name of it anyways). Supposed to be one of the baddest radios ever. I don't like Futaba, but they have an extremely good reputation.

Hitec Aurora 9 isn't quite as popular as any of the others, but the guys I know who have them love them. It's unfortunately the slowest radio out there but has a lot of neat stuff on it. The price isn't too terrible from what I remember of it.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

agreed that its probably not going to fly well for you on a 120o swash but i really like my DX8 so i do not agree with that....

so yeah, new radio or back to the old swash, a 6 channels is not really want you want for nitro any ways.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Do not attempt to fly it as a 140* setup with a radio that's going to send signals as if it's a 120* setup. You're just asking for trouble.

Quickest and cheapest way to deal with this is for you to put it back to a 120* setup. However, a nicer radio will be money well spent.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good advice guys, i will switch it back to a 120!
I will also look at upgrading the radio. Curious though, why is a 6 channel not that good for a nitro? Am I missing something involving an extra channel?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can, just you can't have a governor that is operated from the TX
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, it has mostly to do with not having spare channels for accessories (governor/limiter, on-board glow, retracts, lights, telemetry [if so equipped], and any other gadgets that require a mixed or seperate channel. With a 7ch, you can put both the governor and glow on the one channel, but it's a pain to program, so better to get an 8 channel if you can, or even better, a 9 channel or higher for any other incidentals that come along.

You truly don't need any of that stuff, but some of the programming of the bigger radios really makes the switch so much more worth it. The 6i is extremely limited in capability compared to even a DX7, so that's the reason I mentioned a different one, but it's not essential to get out and fly.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

the Hitec Aurora 9 is great to and at a good price take a look at that as well
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

140 is used in FBL mainly, most of the top end units have 140 & 120. If you have the bits and are just sports flying I would go back to 120 setup, then at least the radio setup will match the helicopter.
Regards
Glynn
HGJL2009 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in