Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters

Other Makes and Models Helicopters Other makes and model Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HK 500 on 4s

You hear all the talk of 5s and 6s on a 500 sized heli. If you are a beginner or just a sport flyer like me 4s may be a good alternative. I just test hovered my HK 500 using a hyperion G3 5000 mah lipo, scorpion HK-3026-1900 (1900 kv) motor with a 15 tooth pinion and I am ecstatic. I am also using a CC 100 amp Ice controller because I had it on hand. I am running in governor mode at 80%. The results: A wonderful set up with enough power for me and reserve when climbing with no bogging. A nice gentle set up. I plan on using this bird for my new copilot II for AP work with the new Flycamone HD camera. This should be just the right set up for that. Upon landing after 5 minutes or so the controller and battery were cool and the motor was only slightly warm. Just wanted to share. I would recommend going with a good battery . It's a nice and cool running set up. I'll post flight times after more tests.

BTW

I love the heli (belt drive) version. I replaced the tail blade assembly and belt with align as well as the main gear and the chassis belt drive gear and have not replaced the spindle or rubber head bushings as yet. For a total investment of $150 in the airframe including the align parts I think this is one heck of a buy. I already had everything except the scorpion motor and align parts when I bought the airframe.

Just ran a second 5 minute timed flight. I'll be able to see electron consumption as soon as I charge the battery. Everything ran cool. This is an awesome set up for sport or beginners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040816_resize.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	209752   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040814_resize.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	209753   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040815_resize.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	209754   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040809_resize.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	209755  
skypup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just finished an HK 500 CMT TT yesterday, still testing it out, but am using a 1300 KV motor with a 12T and 6s for a lower headspeed. But you may have the best solution for low headspeed. I noticed in your first picture a couple of, I think, Heathkits in the background, HW-8s maybe? Are you also an amateur radio operator?

johrich
johrich is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johrich View Post
I just finished an HK 500 CMT TT yesterday, still testing it out, but am using a 1300 KV motor with a 12T and 6s for a lower headspeed. But you may have the best solution for low headspeed. I noticed in your first picture a couple of, I think, Heathkits in the background, HW-8s maybe? Are you also an amateur radio operator?

johrich
My 92 year old father-in-law passed away a year ago. He was the ham radio operator, since the 1930's.
skypup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What didnt you like about the tail assembly? I have the CMT as well, havent started building it yet, I have a few Align parts for it already, mostly just main gear and auto....a few 500 screw sets, the one way bearing and hub, bearings...I bought a spare head.. ( the GT-500 hardened head and tail assemblies..) in case of an incident, but I was wondering if just going for the Align head and/or tail wouldnt be a better choice. Is the tail set up no good? or you just wanted a better set up?
I'll be running 5S batteries, the 1800kv motor, and was looking for an 11T pinion, but the 12T might have to do for now. I think if I did the math right, the 12T will give me about 2650 rpm? the 11T would have given me like 2400 I think. I dont want to push the head.
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 on heath kit.. good eye

also just finished my HK500GT replaced tail with align becasue my tail shaft was bent and the drive gear stripped very easy.. while I was at it I put on trex blade holder and ordered tail case too...

I wanna know what kinda flight times you are getting,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in