Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #21 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yep I understand about thre DX7. A few more steps to setup and tweak with rudder travel adjust and then set piro speed with the dual rate. I will be showing that as well as saving a step and just using travel adjust.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 770/8900g combo on my Avant, I had to reduce the end point 10% on one side of the rudder to get the piros the same speed in bolth directions. Then just play with the dual rate till you get a piro rate that is comfortable. I have no bounce when the tail stops. Like this combo better then my 611
idigrc2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
OK sorry for the delay on these vids.... I have been needing to get these videos done for a while ( 2 months and sorry for the delay) but I also like to fly and didn't want to mess with my flying helis to do it! Well time to belly up and just do it... Believe it or not I still haven't decided which heli to install the this gyro on but it WILL be a 50 sized heli since I got this gyro with the 8900G servo.

OK so after reading all the forum posts about setup, the misconceptions, debates, etc..... I decided that some ground work needed to be done to explain some things FIRST before going into gyro setup. BTW the discussions were helpful as they made me think a little as to the different way JR describes how to setup this gyro and why they want you to do it that way. It's not magic or rocket science but has some good ideas and merrits.....

So I decided to do some 101 videos explaining Dual Rates and Expo, what they do, and how to set them up. I tried to keep this generic in explanation so it can apply to other radios like Futaba OR use with Cyclic, etc... This hopefully will set the knowledge base before we go into setup of the gyro. If you don't need this stuff well.... then skip it.

So first up is an Overview of the JT G770 gyro:
Video Link ->JR G770 Overview and video plans (28 Megs)

Now to start the basics that I think need to be understood in order to understand why you would use Dual Rates and Expo setting up this gyro. The are also generic enough to use for anything (like expo on cyclic).

Dual Rates 101
Video Link ->Dual Rates 101! (71 Megs)

Exponential 101
Video Link ->Exponential 101! (45 Megs)

How to setup Dual Rates and Expo on the X9303 (most radios like Futaba can also use this)
Video Link ->Setting up Dual Rate and Expo on the X9303! (50 Megs)

How to setup Dual Rate and Expo on the DX7
Video Link ->Setting up Dual Rate and Expo on the DX7 (65 Megs)

Also all... there is a good setup guide and a post here on HF discussing this gyro and setting it up. Worth a read even if you watch my vids.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=78591

OK so that is what I have thus far. I am posting this info BEFORE I have completed the Gyro install and setup so people could use and digest this stuff. I plan to install the gyro tomorrow and try to get the setup shot. STAY TUNED! This is my top priority now and will be the next videos I work on so trust that it will be soon even if I don't get it done tomorrow!

Enjoy,
Bob
when will the set up vids be on and will there be a test flight and field tuning
darrenwootton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenwootton View Post
when will the set up vids be on and will there be a test flight and field tuning
I think Finless has been too busy arguing the merits of D/R vs. endpoints to actually get it installed on a heli.

In Dicey's last podcast, Finless mentioned that he didn't have any heli builds on his plate and that he had picked out a likely test bed for the G770, so it should be soon.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Horizon should send him a Vibe 50 to stick it in. He could also do build videos on building it, as i have not seen him do any on a JR Heli before....

sales would double on the Vibe 50 for sure.....
mapleleafs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Well guys the heli I was going to use this on (Knight 600e) I crashed
Good news it I just got it mostly back together enough to do the gyro setup on the bench. Yes I will be doing a field test vid as well but that wont be till this coming weekend as I am waiting on one more part to fix the heli.

Bob
Old 09-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you going to make it up to the SVRW fun fly next weekend for the field test video
idigrc2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #28 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

No sorry I wont be making it up this year.

Bob
Old 09-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #29 (permalink)

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do I switch the modes? HH to Normal or vise versa?
Thanks.
Kratos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

gear switch....
Old 09-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #31 (permalink)

Would that be the Gear/Mix switch on my TX? If in the "Gear" posistion does this mean it's in HH mode? I have the single white wire gyro connector plugged into the "gear" slot on the RX. The reason I ask is that, I have test flown, and while in a hover, the heli won't stay put, that is, the nose keeps drifting to the left, so I'm not sure if I'm in HH or not.
Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You have to check the endpoints on your gear channel. The switch can be in any position you choose for HH depending on where your endpoints are for the gear channel. Usually above 50 is HH and below 50 is rate mode, but this can change depending on what Tx you're using and whether or not you're using the gyro menu.
j bomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by j bomb View Post
You have to check the endpoints on your gear channel. The switch can be in any position you choose for HH depending on where your endpoints are for the gear channel. Usually above 50 is HH and below 50 is rate mode, but this can change depending on what Tx you're using and whether or not you're using the gyro menu.
dont confuse him... your information is wrong.

this is what i do for 3 of my heli's with 770's.

in you endpoints for gear channel you have a positive 100% value and negative 100% value.
**the percent is you gain..
the positive value(+100%) is you HH and you negative value(-100%) is your rate mode.

so you should have something like +43% for HH and -33%R...this is what my gain is.

you have double the resolution because you are dealing with 100points and not 50points like with other gyros

hope this helps....
Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #34 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Just stumbled onto this thread, thought I already had all the finless videos. I kinda understood DL and expo but this definately helps.
Thanks a million again Mr. finless, you rock!
perry59 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 02:22 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
OK sorry for the delay on these vids.... I have been needing to get these videos done for a while ( 2 months and sorry for the delay) but I also like to fly and didn't want to mess with my flying helis to do it! Well time to belly up and just do it... Believe it or not I still haven't decided which heli to install the this gyro on but it WILL be a 50 sized heli since I got this gyro with the 8900G servo.

OK so after reading all the forum posts about setup, the misconceptions, debates, etc..... I decided that some ground work needed to be done to explain some things FIRST before going into gyro setup. BTW the discussions were helpful as they made me think a little as to the different way JR describes how to setup this gyro and why they want you to do it that way. It's not magic or rocket science but has some good ideas and merrits.....

So I decided to do some 101 videos explaining Dual Rates and Expo, what they do, and how to set them up. I tried to keep this generic in explanation so it can apply to other radios like Futaba OR use with Cyclic, etc... This hopefully will set the knowledge base before we go into setup of the gyro. If you don't need this stuff well.... then skip it.

So first up is an Overview of the JT G770 gyro:
Video Link ->JR G770 Overview and video plans (28 Megs)

Now to start the basics that I think need to be understood in order to understand why you would use Dual Rates and Expo setting up this gyro. The are also generic enough to use for anything (like expo on cyclic).

Dual Rates 101
Video Link ->Dual Rates 101! (71 Megs)

Exponential 101
Video Link ->Exponential 101! (45 Megs)

How to setup Dual Rates and Expo on the X9303 (most radios like Futaba can also use this)
Video Link ->Setting up Dual Rate and Expo on the X9303! (50 Megs)

How to setup Dual Rate and Expo on the DX7
Video Link ->Setting up Dual Rate and Expo on the DX7 (65 Megs)

Also all... there is a good setup guide and a post here on HF discussing this gyro and setting it up. Worth a read even if you watch my vids.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=78591

OK so that is what I have thus far. I am posting this info BEFORE I have completed the Gyro install and setup so people could use and digest this stuff. I plan to install the gyro tomorrow and try to get the setup shot. STAY TUNED! This is my top priority now and will be the next videos I work on so trust that it will be soon even if I don't get it done tomorrow!

Enjoy,
Bob
when will the rest of the vids be
completed
darrenwootton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 04:11 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

When he finishes putting his Knight 600E back together. He is waiting for one more part, so maybeing he can installa nd fly this weekend.

He says so in one of his posts.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Huh? Your misunderstanding. The dual rate will be used to control PIRO rate e.g. how fast the heli will pirouette when you move the rudder stick to one side or the other. It has nothing to do with how well the gyro will hold the tail as throttle is increased!!! So no you would not want to do any kind of rudder to throttle mix if that is what your thinking?

Bob
Ultimately with the DX7 you can setup D/R and then adjust left and right piro rate to match each other in the rudder travel adjust. Is this correct Bob?

I enjoyed the videos but would like to know why with a 401 gyro my gain setting was 56% and with the JR770 the gain is only 15% (DX7 radio). This threw me way off when I initially set up the 770 as I tried 55, 60, 70, 80% until I realize I had to be much closer to zero. The tail was wagging wildly about 30 to 45 degrees at first (ya scary).

Thanks Bob for all your hard work, you answer all the questions I would have, that would take many trips to the field to get answered.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

how's the progress on the gyro setup video, bob?
brian94066 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #39 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Got the parts I needed so will try to shoot the install and setup on the bench today! Flying and tweaking will be done this Sunday.

Bob
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #40 (permalink)

Thankd guys I will try again and let you know.

Tags
101, dual rates, expo, g770, gyro, gyro setup, jr g770, video, videos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in