Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any new news on this?
Kontronik Drives
Justin Stuart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
Easiest explanation is:
Jive in "non-KSA" mode auto-adjust settings depending on several factors.
In KSA mode the auto-adjusting part is less, its more static i.e. same as other ESCs.

(Timing and drive-rate)
What would be the flight differences between both modes. Would you loose performance in KSA?
markleyland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by markleyland View Post
What would be the flight differences between both modes. Would you loose performance in KSA?
I don't know for sure but, I would venture to guess that in non-KSA, where the Jive is not dynamically adjusting to the motor, you're going to be much closer to 100% efficiency. Then again, I'd gladly accept a 5-10% performance degradation that was always there over a 100% performance degradation that showed up at the most inopportune times!

John

Compass Knight 600E, Blade 450, Blade 400, Blade SR, Blade mCPx, Blade 120, Blade mSR, Blade mCX, Blade CX2
johnopsec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by markleyland View Post
Yes, you will loose some performance.
But it's kind of arbitrary as the reason for using KSA in some cases is that the motor produce more power and EMF spikes so the controller cannot handle it.
Meaning, if you REALLY need that last x% power, your setup from start is not optional, you should have chosen differently.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

The reason I ask is my motor has low resistance issues with my Jive 100+LV. I would have chosen differently but KDE told me the two were compatible when I asked so I bought their KDE/NEU when they first came out (now discontinued). I have problems arming the esc at times and have never tried the KSA mode. I remember someone else having the same issues with this motor who tried KSA but didn't solve the problem. Worth a try I guess as long as there are no adverse effects or damage to the motor/ESC?

Last edited by markleyland; 01-21-2012 at 10:16 AM..
markleyland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

More about ksa

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...29#post3187229
Hyaloid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have a telephone meeting with Kontronik coming tuesday, but I can tell you what you should NOT do, do not "abort" throttle hold, that seems to be the biggest risk factor as far as I have found out so far.

If you do throttle hold, allow the motor to stop, completely.

else you can get into commuting error, with it, risk of big EMF spike, with it, risk of damaging ESC or motor.

I'm not talking about Vbar + Auto-rotation bailout, since that use an idle mode, but I mean if you do a "full throttle hold" and then flip out of hold before motor physically has stopped.
Hi again MrMel,

i was asking few weeks ago about v-bar gov + helijive + 4525-520 that i have for my goblin and i want to use... that was what you said...

so...

How was that telephone call? any details about the problem?

and is this problem related to helijive or is it the same with all ESCs?

Thanks for your time again
Toni
Tohtori R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

They really did not have any info on the topic, sorry.
what I talk about above is Mode 8 on HeliJive and should not occur on other Jives.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
They really did not have any info on the topic, sorry.
what I talk about above is Mode 8 on HeliJive and should not occur on other Jives.
i mean other brands... is this a problem of kontronik when used with that motor or?
if i get some other brand esc (scorpion comander etc..) is there the same problem waiting for me?

i have also read about align 700MX motors that has burned with that setup so is it related to motor choice at all?

sorry for bombing you with questions but i have a very expensive setup waiting and i dont want to kill it for not knowing something...

v-bar gov still seem very intresting if it works...

-Toni
Old 02-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohtori R View Post
i mean other brands... is this a problem of kontronik when used with that motor or?
if i get some other brand esc (scorpion comander etc..) is there the same problem waiting for me?

i have also read about align 700MX motors that has burned with that setup so is it related to motor choice at all?

sorry for bombing you with questions but i have a very expensive setup waiting and i dont want to kill it for not knowing something...

v-bar gov still seem very intresting if it works...

-Toni
It's only Kontronik ESC that has this particular problem.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It's only Kontronik ESC that has this particular problem.
thanks for making this clear.

-Toni
Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have a telephone meeting with Kontronik coming tuesday, but I can tell you what you should NOT do, do not "abort" throttle hold, that seems to be the biggest risk factor as far as I have found out so far.

else you can get into commuting error, with it, risk of big EMF spike, with it, risk of damaging ESC or motor.

I'm not talking about Vbar + Auto-rotation bailout, since that use an idle mode, but I mean if you do a "full throttle hold" and then flip out of hold before motor physically has stopped.
Hi Mr. Mel

Thanks for the warning. This is the first time iVe heard of this. I have only 1 Kontronik ESC so far and I dont frequent this site. What happens if you have damaged your ESC by doing so and not knowing about it? Will Kontronik still honour their warranty? I will read my intructions manual again regarding whether this warning is included in the intructions manual. If its not then it should be included in the front page i reckon.
Thanks

(Retired) Trex 600 Npro FBL 3GX ,Trex 550 FBL 3GX ,Trex 450 FBL 3GX-X2,Trex 250 FBL 3G
dennisvm75 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisvm75 View Post
Hi Mr. Mel

Thanks for the warning. This is the first time iVe heard of this. I have only 1 Kontronik ESC so far and I dont frequent this site. What happens if you have damaged your ESC by doing so and not knowing about it? Will Kontronik still honour their warranty? I will read my intructions manual again regarding whether this warning is included in the intructions manual. If its not then it should be included in the front page i reckon.
Thanks
Kontronik will always look at each case for warranty claims, as long as you provide information enough they are very fair, and no, it's not an official warning, but rather a friendly pointer, i.e. only common thing I've seen so far that has potential to have problems
Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I can tell you what you should NOT do, do not "abort" throttle hold, that seems to be the biggest risk factor as far as I have found out so far.

Does that mean that this "A cheat for autorotation bailout on Jive?" is a bad idea? Technically, it's not HOLD but simply slows drops throttle to a point where the motor is being driven but, not fast enough to hover.

John

Compass Knight 600E, Blade 450, Blade 400, Blade SR, Blade mCPx, Blade 120, Blade mSR, Blade mCX, Blade CX2
Old 02-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnopsec View Post
Does that mean that this "A cheat for autorotation bailout on Jive?" is a bad idea? Technically, it's not HOLD but simply slows drops throttle to a point where the motor is being driven but, not fast enough to hover.

No, as long as motor is driven it's even more safe than anything else.
(that's why when using VBar you should run "Idle at AR")

The problem have potential when
a) ESC has stopped driving the motor (turn off)
b) Motor still spinning but nothing drives it.
c) ESC tries to restart the motor.

It's a very short timeframe, drag from main gear and pinion usually makes this short, and with lighter motors even more so, but if you have a very big motor like a Scorpion 50xx series etc, it takes a little while before motor stops.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure. I didn't want people cooking their ESCs following advice that I had given. Good way to get a BAD reputation!

John

Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Kontronik will always look at each case for warranty claims, as long as you provide information enough they are very fair, and no, it's not an official warning, but rather a friendly pointer, i.e. only common thing I've seen so far that has potential to have problems
Thanks so much Mr. Mel

(Retired) Trex 600 Npro FBL 3GX ,Trex 550 FBL 3GX ,Trex 450 FBL 3GX-X2,Trex 250 FBL 3G
dennisvm75 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in