Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > JS TZ-V2 Frenzy

JS TZ-V2 Frenzy JS Models TZ-V2 Frenzy Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Bearing problems

I'm noticing a lot of strange noises lately and was wondering if anyone else is having any bearing issues yet. I only have about 3 gallons through the frenzy now and it is starting to make some ratteling noises on and off as I fly around. It sounds like it's coming from the clutch bell area but could possibly be the one way in the main gear. I'm hoping that someone else has already noticed these sort of issues already so I know where to look. If not, I'll have to tear it down to inspect all the bearings.

You can definitely hear some ugly noises when I rotate the main gear counter clockwise and it free wheels. That's definitely not right.

So my main question is: Does anybody else notice any abnormal sounds when rotating the main gear counter clockwise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There have been a couple problems showing up. One is the tail belt driveshaft. For some reason the inner race of the top bearing has been wearing a groove in the shaft. J.S. Models is aware of it and says they are developing a harder shaft. In the meantime most people have been putting a little red loctite on the upper bearing and the shaft with really good results. A friend had his fail around 10 tanks of fuel (very hard 3D) I had to replace mine at about 20 tanks but some are still going.
The second issue is the one-way bearing in the main gear hub. The first run of kits had two narrow one-way bearings that sometimes would cut a groove into the main shaft. If that's the case it can be pretty dificult to get apart so I would recommend that you see if you can pull your mainshaft up right away. This has already been addressed by J.S Models with a hardened main shaft and a larger single one-way bearing. The new mainshaft is now in stock but the new hubs and one-way bearings aren't available yet. I hope this helps!

-=Dan=-
Frenzy 50 with SK-360, AR7100R, BLS451, Edge FBL Blades, Spartan DS 760.Frenzy 90 with SK-720, AR7100R, BLS451, OS 91 HZ-PS. ELY-Q Vision 90 with BeastX, AR7100R, BLS451, OS 91 HZ-R, Radix FBL. JR X9303
heartnspirit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I guess I will need to pull it apart for an inspection then. I did know about the tail drive pully issue and don't think thats what I'm hearing. So I will look at the main shaft and see what it looks like at the one way section. I thought it was kind of cheesy to have two one way bearings in the main gear but for 119 bucks how can I complain. As long as all these issues get addressed I won't be forced to buy a real vibe.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So I pulled it apart and guess what? I couldn't find a damn thing wrong with anything. All the bearings are smooth and no wear spots in the main shaft or anything abnormal. The one little thing I did notice is that the clutch bell Assembly was a tad loose (up and down play). I took the clutch bell out and tightened everything so there was no play and reassembled. But overall I can't figure out where that awful sound was coming from. It still makes a lot of noise when spinning the main gear backwards but hey, maybe that's normal. The sounds that it makes while flying around are the one's that worry me. At some point I'll need to get a video or recording of the sound I'm talking about. The other guy I know that has one has little noises similar to mine but just not as loud. I'll see what his main gear sounds like when I spin it backwards today.

Well, I'm off to go flying again.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The other guy with a Frenzy has the same sound when the main gear is spun back wards so it must be a normal Frenzy sound. When I flew yesterday the sound I was hearing before is gone and it now sounds like it did the first time I flew it. So I'm not sure what happened but it never hurts to take things apart for an inspection and lube job.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oil the bearing at the top of the pinion gear. That bearing runs at engine RPM ( +.- 18,000) plus it handles all the load of the engine output. They get dry fast, and then make noise. I've also seen this with other brands of helis with simular design.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will definitely do that now that my heli is stripped down for inspection right now.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i guess you fixed it, it was the up and down movement that caused that sound, at 18k rpm
Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My frenzy had bottom radial bearing seized up and acting like it was a bushing. The bearing I am talking about is the two radial bearings that surrounds the one way bearing on main shaft. Mine could be exception, but since you have yours disassembled, you might want to check.
Pirofreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Crap, the sound is back with a vengence. I inspected the bearings before and couldn't find a problem but this time the noise was worse and there has to be a bad bearing somewhere. I'll tell you another thing, I still have that original oneway with the two oneway bearings in it and that sucker locked up on me during an auto. I tried to spin the main blades backwards and it was locked up. I then wiggled the main gear around a bit and heard a pop and it was free again.

Quote:
The second issue is the one-way bearing in the main gear hub. The first run of kits had two narrow one-way bearings that sometimes would cut a groove into the main shaft. If that's the case it can be pretty dificult to get apart so I would recommend that you see if you can pull your mainshaft up right away. This has already been addressed by J.S Models with a hardened main shaft and a larger single one-way bearing. The new mainshaft is now in stock but the new hubs and one-way bearings aren't available yet. I hope this helps!
I need a new upgraded hub bad. Why doesn't A-main have the parts for this to upgrade? They also are backordered on those darn front canopy mounts that I need. They take forever to get the backordered items in stock. My only saving grace is the second Frenzy I have on the work bench that is almost finished. It has the new hub in it already.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default me too

hey i have a wierd sound comming from the hub to,i thought it was the pinion and main gear because the main gear was a little out of round so it had a tight spot.but after 4 gallons the gear noise went away, but i got the wierd noise coming from the hub to. my clutch oneway for the starter shaft keeps locking up and making the starter shaft keep spinning, i am going to try the 450 oneway bering swayout,i saw it in another thread i thik bird wrote about it.h yea the oneway on the starter shaft locked up so hard yesterday the it made the engine almost stall, i will be swaping oneways tonght, good luck and keep it spinning.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking darn it

hey i fixed the starter shaft oneway so the shaft will stop when it is started and it does spin freely.i now have a weird rattle like sound only when the engine is at idle, when i rev it up and get it to speed it is normal . can this be the bearing in the top of the pinion and clutch,i need to find the rattling noise i dont want to fly and something fail in air. and dirt parking for the heli.i cant afford another crash right now.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

i had a lot of strange gear and bearing type noises also. Here is what i did to solve them

updated auto hub in main gear to the new style with just one bearing

update to new pinion (the original was slightly off pitch and cuase premature wear and noise

changed clutch and clutch bell to raptor 50. Original bell had rubber friction material which locked up at low rpm. original clutch had poor oneway bearing and seized or cut start shaft. the raptor clutch is a drop in replacement with absolutely no mod needed.

I did these these things and now have an easy starting, smooth running, great flying heli

Phil

Goblin 380/Goblin 700 Thunder Power
www.eclipsehobbies.com
ch3no2Phil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in