Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Help building Logo 600SX tail rotor assembly.

Im building a Logo 600 SX and have come to the mounting of the tail rotor assembly.
There on page 4 the manual states its weary important to grease inside and outside of the sleeves the thrust bearings are riding on.
In my eyes thats alot of BS as the sleeve is going to sit securly clamped between the tailrotor bolt and hub mooving nowhere and the thrustbearings are mounted outside of it runing like every other thrustbearing.
Dont understand why mikado wont us to grease that sleeve and cant se any reason why.
Just risking getting grease on the screw holding the grip to the hub.
So why dos mikado state the sleeve have to be greased?
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I wondered the same thing and my thought was that lubing the sleeve was just an aid to assembly to help prevent it from binding as its all pulled together. Had no problem with it.

Logo 480 / Logo 600sx / Logo 690 / Logo 700 / Vbar Control
Mentalic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

So if i had no problem without grease and the assembly run smooth its OK ore should i reassemble the grips again with grease?
Just to be shure i redid the grips and greased the outside of the sleeve before putting on the thrust bearing, greased the lower part of the bolt before putting the sleeve on and mounted the grip to the hub again.
But still dont see the advantage of greasing the sleeve as i had no problem mounting everything without.
Exo 500
Old 05-31-2014, 03:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think i found out why.
Yes it helps with the assembly and prevent the inner race of the thrust bearing to get stuck to the sleeve from threadlock if threadlock squises out of the threads when screwing in the bolt.
First attempt of redoing the assembly one grip got stuck and after dissasembling that grip again it was threadlock where is was not suppose to be any and got stuck but between the bras chim and radial bearing inner race.
Exo 500
Old 05-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a problem with this on my 500SE, they don't sell the so called sleeve's for replacement. I just changed the whole tail assy. to one that doesn't use the sleeve's.
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!
I see there is still old style tailrotors available, now i wonder why did mikado choose to change the assembly and add parts to it?
The only advantage here is 3mm bolts instead of 2,5mm but just drill out a bigger hole in the old style hub and the end resoult vould be the same without the sleeves.
And if hub softness was a problem, harden it.
Exo 500
Old 05-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The newer hub is safe at higher rpm. I really like the assembly because you can pre-assemble the thrust bearing and insert it on the screw into the grip instead of pushing them all down into the grip loosely as you do with the main grips.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you grease the inside of the sleeve?
Exo 500
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mikado recently (and silently) changed the SX tail hub and it no longer has the sleeves. They're now integrated into the hub itself -- problem solved.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Andersen View Post
Grease the portion of the screw near the head and slide the sleeve onto the screw. Then grease the outside of the sleeve and slide on the thrust bearings. Insert the entire stack into the blade grip, Apply thread locker to the hub threads and remove any excess. Attach grip with bearing stack to hub. Don't over-tighten. Bring the screw just past snug and let the thread lock do its job.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Could be a typo...?

I use a toothpick...

And, on page 4 of my 600SX manual, #box 2, they do indeed indicate sleeve grease.

Assembled this....according to box 2...with grease(Tri-Flow white lithium grease)....and then wiped off the excess with rubbing alcohol....applied blue loctite into the receptacle.....and snugged it in...and repeated on the other side....

And then "cinched" it in....pull on it to ensure the bearings are seated properly...and a touch more cinch...lol

Also use toothpicks to apply loctite on the thread receptacles, rather than the bolts threads where ever possible....the toothpick allows the loctite to get to the full depth of the thread receptacles.

FWIW
EEngineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
Grease the portion of the screw near the head and slide the sleeve onto the screw. Then grease the outside of the sleeve and slide on the thrust bearings. Insert the entire stack into the blade grip, Apply thread locker to the hub threads and remove any excess. Attach grip with bearing stack to hub. Don't over-tighten. Bring the screw just past snug and let the thread lock do its job.
Thats how i allso did it.
Just wondering how it was meant to do as the manual states its weary importent to grease bought inside and outside of the sleeve.
Exo 500
Old 06-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEngineer View Post
Could be a typo...?

I use a toothpick...

And, on page 4 of my 600SX manual, #box 2, they do indeed indicate sleeve grease.

Assembled this....according to box 2...with grease(Tri-Flow white lithium grease)....and then wiped off the excess with rubbing alcohol....applied blue loctite into the receptacle.....and snugged it in...and repeated on the other side....

And then "cinched" it in....pull on it to ensure the bearings are seated properly...and a touch more cinch...lol

Also use toothpicks to apply loctite on the thread receptacles, rather than the bolts threads where ever possible....the toothpick allows the loctite to get to the full depth of the thread receptacles.

FWIW
Wiping off the excess grease from the bolt with rubbiong alcohol can degrade the grease inside of the sleeve as alcohol can wick between the bolt and sleeve undoing what the grease was suppose to do, whatever that was.

For loctiting the threads i used a thin screwdriver to get the same resoult as with a toothpick.
Exo 500
Old 06-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
The newer hub is safe at higher rpm. I really like the assembly because you can pre-assemble the thrust bearing and insert it on the screw into the grip instead of pushing them all down into the grip loosely as you do with the main grips.
I actually got a problem here as one of the sleeve was a tad wider then the other.
One thrustbearing fitted snuggly around the sleeve while the other side of the assembly not so much making it hard to hold the sleeve inside of the thrust assembly while mounting the grip to the hub.
Exo 500
Old 06-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thats how i allso did it.
Just wondering how it was meant to do as the manual states its weary importent to grease bought inside and outside of the sleeve.
When you grease the screw, you ARE greasing the inside of the sleeve.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I actually got a problem here as one of the sleeve was a tad wider then the other.
One thrustbearing fitted snuggly around the sleeve while the other side of the assembly not so much making it hard to hold the sleeve inside of the thrust assembly while mounting the grip to the hub.
I don't know if I am understanding correctly, but it is true that one thrust bearing will be snug on the sleeve and the other one will be loose. The inner diameter of the inner and outer thrust washer are different. You want the loose one (larger inside diameter) closest to the center of the hub.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did one grip first and the other after that.
For one grip the small diameter outer thrustbearing race was sitting snug on the sleeve where on the other grip the small diameter thrustbearing race was not so snug.
Like either the sleeves was not the same outer diameter ore the small diameter thrust race had not the same diameter.
The bigges of each thrust bearing races was sitting loosely on the sleeves.
Hope i made myself clearer.
Exo 500
Old 06-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Wiping off the excess grease from the bolt with rubbiong alcohol can degrade the grease inside of the sleeve as alcohol can wick between the bolt and sleeve undoing what the grease was suppose to do, whatever that was.

For loctiting the threads i used a thin screwdriver to get the same resoult as with a toothpick.
Doesn't happen the way I do it....
EEngineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today i took the tailrotor apart to get peace in my mind and it was totally worhless.
The threadlock was set well and everything was fine.
When all peases was apart i cleaned everything before starting rebuilding again.
During the rebuild i discovered the tight sleeve had to sit the right way ore the thrust bearing would snag against the hub as the grip did not run smooth.
Took the grip apart again and mountet just the thrust bearing ans leeve on the bolt before testfititng the blt against the hub.
Even now it did not run smooth, så turned the sleeve around and now it was smooth.
New cleanup, greasing before rebuilding the grip again and now it run smooth.
After alot of alcohol and grease im pritty shure, i dont like the design of the new tairotorhub and will get an other design when these get broken.
Exo 500
Old 06-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

The newest version of the hub no longer uses the sleeve as it's now an integrated portion of the hub itself.

If you bearing only fits the sleeve in one direction then your sleeve is likely distorted. Perhaps you got a bad one. I imagine over-tightening the grip screw could also cause this to happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in