Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default (4) 3S packs Charged+Balanced Simultaneously using one charger

I am looking for the best and safest way to charge and balance, 4 packs simultaneously. I would rather purchase and use only one charger.

I recently purchased (4) 3S Zippy 2200's, and I now need the correct charger to accomplish the goal of 4 at a time. I will be using the packs separately in the Blade 400.

What charger and method, series or parallel, would be the best and safest?

Very tempted to use parallel:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

EDIT: Meant to post this in the Charger forum, sorry guys.
GreenBar0n is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default (4) 3S packs Charged+Balanced Simultaneously using one charger

I am looking for the best and safest way to charge and balance, 4 packs simultaneously. I would rather purchase and use only one charger.

I recently purchased (4) 3S Zippy 2200's, and I now need the correct charger to accomplish the goal of 4 at a time. I will be using the packs separately in the Blade 400.

What charger and method, series or parallel, would be the best and safest?

Very tempted to use parallel:
Old 10-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm, this is interesting.....i'd like to know more about this myself.....my biggest question is how safe is this method.
birdiecoop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Merged double posted threads together.

HELI-FREAK, You couldn't have picked a better place to land !
ChasHeliCop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think this may work for you. Saw it in action today and it does the job just fine.

http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=7706
Old 10-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi NolanManley,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the Polycharge4 can charge 4 packs but with no balancing. Balancing is supposed to take the longest time if I am not mistaken, so individually balancing 4 packs separately would nearly defeat the purpose.

I was excited about that charger until I heard about the balancing problem.

Do you know of a balancer that could balance four packs simultaneously? I might go with the Polycharge4 if there were a balancer for 4 packs, then it would only be a two step process.

I really would like an all inclusive solution if possible though.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Well, if you can find the balancing Y adapters, you could get something like a Hyperion EOS0610i DUO and series-charge two 3S packs on each side. It will only really work if the batteries are of the same capacity and, preferably, about the same age.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

GreenBarOn,

For what ever it's worth, the Owner of the LHS talked me into the PolyCharge4 about a year and a half ago when I got my first T-Rex 450. He told me I didn't need to worry that much about balancing of the 3s that much. I've been running 4 Thunder Power 2100s from then and they are still doing well. They are still balanced well. I monitor them with a Flight Power, V Balancer, to make sure they stay close.

I have just recently taken steps to monitor and balance my Li-po batteries seperately, due to purchasing 4 Flight Power 2500s and amassing lots of other batteries. I would like to keep better track of their charge life.

The only thing that comes close to what you want, that I have found is the Hyperion Duo and charging them as two 6s packs. It's what I was thinking about doing, but it's a lot of money to shell out.

If you find something better, or cheaper, please post your results. Good Luck.
4gettinit2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Well, if you can find the balancing Y adapters, you could get something like a Hyperion EOS0610i DUO and series-charge two 3S packs on each side. It will only really work if the batteries are of the same capacity and, preferably, about the same age.
That's what I was thinking too, I just keep reading back and forth about the risk of series charging with improper balance. The parallel charging method is very intriguing, though I would like to find a few who have tested it first. Thanks for the reply TheBum.

I posted the question here also, regarding parallel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gettinit2 View Post
GreenBarOn,

For what ever it's worth, the Owner of the LHS talked me into the PolyCharge4 about a year and a half ago when I got my first T-Rex 450. He told me I didn't need to worry that much about balancing of the 3s that much. I've been running 4 Thunder Power 2100s from then and they are still doing well. They are still balanced well. I monitor them with a Flight Power, V Balancer, to make sure they stay close.

I have just recently taken steps to monitor and balance my Li-po batteries seperately, due to purchasing 4 Flight Power 2500s and amassing lots of other batteries. I would like to keep better track of their charge life.

The only thing that comes close to what you want, that I have found is the Hyperion Duo and charging them as two 6s packs. It's what I was thinking about doing, but it's a lot of money to shell out.

If you find something better, or cheaper, please post your results. Good Luck.
4gettinit2, how many cycles have your packs seen over the year and a half, while charged in this method, with no balancing?

How long does it take all four packs to fully charge?

Does the rheostat dial seem to be accurate in terms of output?

Thanks for replying.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm doing 2s2p. i.e. from 4 3s packs i'm making two paralel 6s packs.
you do need a 150W or better a 200W charger.
lavi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 03:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I'm doing 2s2p. i.e. from 4 3s packs i'm making two paralel 6s packs.
you do need a 150W or better a 200W charger.
What charger are you using lavi? Would you happen to have a pic of your setup? Thanks.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I've done series charging and there is a risk if your adapters don't have one particular safeguard. The whole idea with a series balancing adapter is to tap into the cells as if you were dealing with a single 6S pack. The problem is that many adapters connect the ground of the upper pack to the top voltage tap or the lower pack, which is OK unless you get the mains swapped when connecting them in series. The you end up with a short circuit that, at the minimum, will fry pins on the batteries' balance connectors.

The safeguard is to connect the charger to either the ground of the upper pack or the top tap of the lower pack but not both. The mains connection will actually take care of connecting the two together. Now, that doesn't mean it'll charge that way (it won't), but at least you won't fry anything and you'll be able to tell from the cell individual voltages on the charger's display prior to starting the charge cycle that it's backwards: one cell will read zero voltage.

I have my balance and mains connectors labeled with 'A' and 'B', so I know to connect both 'A's to one pack and both 'B's to the other pack.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Listen guys, the poly charger is ment to be used at the airfield to fast charge your small 3S packs. At home you need to use a charger that balances the packs (Hyperion EOS0610i DUO works for me).
Chargers are like tools, use the one you need at the airfield and others for at home. If your going to fly electric it will take the investment. Do you need a Poly? No. Do you need to fly 4 packs back to back? No. It's all a matter of Choice.

If your packs are balanced good at home you won't need to balance them for field charges. You are following the 80% rule for flights, Yes?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm using a 150W charger.

I'm also using a 2 2x3S->6S balancing connector, 2 serial charge leads and 1 parallel charge lead i made myself.
balancing connector - (x2)
Serial connector - (x2)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaa.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	66982  
lavi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 02:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Hyperion Duo is just the charger for this task
Yes its a little pricey but youo get waht you pay for.

However
you do need to make sure that when you hook up two of your 3s packs to charge it as a 6s pack you need to make sure that the voltage of each of them is pretty close as the balncer will take a long time and work much harder to balance what it thinks is a 6s pack.

Yuo can use the Duo as two separate chargers or in linked mode you can balance charge two 6s packs (or four 3s) packs and have them all perfectly matched to each other.\\

But dont forget it is very inportant to have any two packs you join togetehr for a 6s to be very close in voltage.

hope this helps

Ben
Borneoben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks to all of you guys for your insightful approach and recommendations. HeliFreak's forum-members willingness to help people, is over the top cool .

After much reading and study, I was convincingly persuaded to charge and balance the (4) 3S 2200 packs in parallel, using one charger/balancer in conjunction with a high amp output 12V DC power supply.

Excellent thread about parallel charging and from where I got the inspiration:

This is what the completed project should look like:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1895

I have received the charger I plan to use, the iCharger 106B+, and I am very impressed with it. The open community development of this charger, based on forum users request directly to Hong Kong manufacturers, and its near instantaneous implementation into the design, is what sold me alone. The actual quality and tolerances are what made me glad I bought it.

If you have time to read through this, the first 20 pages are amazing to see the features and programming of this companies chargers evolve based on user request:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839657

I am currently in the process of making the parallel cable setup, though I'm still missing some components for the balancing cable (JST male 3S connector). I'll post back with pics of the completed setup.

Thanks again for the help guys .

EDIT: I am also looking to make a parallel harness for 1S 3.7v 110Mah Blade MCX packs, to charge at least 4 if not more in one setting. If your charger does 1S, you are more than halfway there. Here is the connector:
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ3052

Last edited by GreenBar0n; 11-02-2008 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: link addition
Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a couple of blinky balancers which I use along with the PolyCharge 4. Just rotate them so you balance every other charge and the charger does fine.
logger1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in