Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hiller decay

I think I understand what the hiller decay is meant for, but what I donīt know is how it affects flight.

If you want the heli to stop cyclic inputs sharper (more instant ) ,Must I lower the decay value ??

Juan.
chichisport is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If its anything like the vbar system, I think you have it backwards. Hiller is the movement the gyros give to act against outside forces and the bell is the stopping behavior. A higher bell setting will result in a harder stop.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have any experience with this product, but higher decay implies faster response. A lower decay value would provide a smother transition from one setting to the next.
helibrick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks,
For me Bell calls for how direct you want the input to be transfered to the heli.Stick input I think ,when you put the stick in the center it must be called input so stopping also is affected by bell setting but not only stopping also starting.
Hiller( OK) is how the gyro counteracts .
Decay is still confusing to me,the manual only says to use 100% to smooth manouvers like tic tocs , the beginner setup uses 50% as default so it must be softer.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

* Bell gain adjusts how sharply cyclic input starts and stops the heli. Both too much and too little result in a couple of beats of oscillation at start and stop.
* Hiller gain adjusts stability, how hard it works to do exactly what you told it, whether hover level or how quick to tilt. Too much = oscillation, too little and it wanders.
* Hiller Decay adjusts how stubborn or forgiving it is about trying to do what you told it or fight wind.

Initially the manual said to only put the decay to 100% for 3D and it was lower as a default. But that resulted in beginners crashing on take off because it would "remember" they had held a little cyclic, which built up to "we should have tilted 30 degrees!"...which the gyro did as soon as it could. With high hiller decay its less stiff in wind, but doesn't hold grudges like that.
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 05:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
* Hiller gain adjusts stability, how hard it works to do exactly what you told it, whether hover level or how quick to tilt. Too much = oscillation, too little and it wanders.
Does increasing the Hiller gain make the heli work faster, or should I lower it? I'm finding the heli doesn't flip sideways as well as it flips in pitch axis; is this an indication of too low a Hiller gain? Both control rates are identical, but she is visible slower rolling!

We could do with a proper control diagram of where all these gains are in the feedback loop and what influences what...

Kev
Skaross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks , control diagram would be helpfull . I think he mentioned that he came to the same conclusions as V-bar creator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in