Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykintom View Post
OLP,

Looking at your fleet--you do have it bad! If I may ask, how did you start on this addiction? Or as the uninitiated may say, "where did you go wrong?"

BKT
I've always been into helicopters and military aircraft. I grew up with them all around me when my Dad was in the Air Force. I used to build models as a kid. Then in my early 20's I flew single engine planes but it was just too expensive.

Guns are my only other hobby and I have to go way out of town to shoot. I wanted something I could do nearby or here at home. Having too much time on my hands and money in the bank I decided I wanted to try a RC heli. I got the CX2 and the addiction began. I got the MCX2 for inside the house and had problems with it. It's fixed, and Horizon Hobbies gave me the MCX as compensation for the trouble with the MCX2.

Two of the others are just $50 helis that are cheap and easy to fly. Then came the Bee....I had a real hard time with it as these guys on here can attest! But the sound of those blades is intoxicating and having read the "Bee guys gone Trex" thread, and then JMD's 500 build thread and I said what the heck, get a 500 to build!
I wanted something to work on this winter. Although I'm anxious to fly it, I want to take my time with the build. Not much spare time these days for me.

As for the Trex 500GF, I just happened onto that on Ebay when it had 10 min. left. I waited until it had 15 seconds left and bid $5 over the highest bid at the time and to my surprise I won it! It will either be a hanger queen, (use it for parts for the HK), Or I'll take the servos off the HK, and an extra gyro I have and complete the Trex. I haven't decided yet.

Other then eventually putting a scale fuselage on the 500 I really don't think I'll go up to a larger heli. The 500 scares me as it is, and the parts replacement cost goes up even higher with the 6, 700 helis. (I'd love one of those Goblins though)!
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithT View Post
MWAAHAAHAAHAAA!!!!!!
Resistance is futile guys - you will not escape!

I'm not sure we need a chair-person like JMD either. He's got the worst case of the sickness on this forum from what I can see He'd just make us all worse
Trouble is, I tried group therapy with a few club mates here 18 months ago and that's how I ended up with the two nitro sisters
Nothing works, we're doooooooomed
i'll only be a chairperson if it is a group of people who ENDORSE their sickness and want to make it worse! ..i will not talk people out of stuff...i want to get more people in!!! i'm like a drug pusher...once i know you are hooked..i'm gettin you deeper

now..if you want to get out..well....i'll start a campaign against you!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaManDan View Post
i want to get more people in!!! i'm like a drug pusher...once i know you are hooked..i'm gettin you deeper
My point entirely
mCPX V2
KeithT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithT View Post
My point entirely
Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #225 (permalink)
Registered Users

Who is Neil Suckers??

Sorry guys - I'll get my coat
mCPX V2
KeithT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldladypilot View Post
I've always been into helicopters and military aircraft. I grew up with them all around me when my Dad was in the Air Force. I used to build models as a kid. Then in my early 20's I flew single engine planes but it was just too expensive.

Guns are my only other hobby and I have to go way out of town to shoot. I wanted something I could do nearby or here at home. Having too much time on my hands and money in the bank I decided I wanted to try a RC heli. I got the CX2 and the addiction began. I got the MCX2 for inside the house and had problems with it. It's fixed, and Horizon Hobbies gave me the MCX as compensation for the trouble with the MCX2.

Two of the others are just $50 helis that are cheap and easy to fly. Then came the Bee....I had a real hard time with it as these guys on here can attest! But the sound of those blades is intoxicating and having read the "Bee guys gone Trex" thread, and then JMD's 500 build thread and I said what the heck, get a 500 to build!
I wanted something to work on this winter. Although I'm anxious to fly it, I want to take my time with the build. Not much spare time these days for me.

As for the Trex 500GF, I just happened onto that on Ebay when it had 10 min. left. I waited until it had 15 seconds left and bid $5 over the highest bid at the time and to my surprise I won it! It will either be a hanger queen, (use it for parts for the HK), Or I'll take the servos off the HK, and an extra gyro I have and complete the Trex. I haven't decided yet.

Other then eventually putting a scale fuselage on the 500 I really don't think I'll go up to a larger heli. The 500 scares me as it is, and the parts replacement cost goes up even higher with the 6, 700 helis. (I'd love one of those Goblins though)!
OLP--you are a real inspiration. I had a lot of trouble with the Bee, too, but I can fly it now. I want to see what collective pitch is all about, so I'm building a 450 over Christmas. I will post updates on that as the build starts. This heli thing is really addictive!
boykintom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykintom View Post
OLP--you are a real inspiration. I had a lot of trouble with the Bee, too, but I can fly it now. I want to see what collective pitch is all about, so I'm building a 450 over Christmas. I will post updates on that as the build starts. This heli thing is really addictive!
That's an understatement!

Thanks BKT.
Working on them is part of the fun, and you learn a lot about them by working on them. Enjoy your build and I think we'd all enjoy seeing your build progress and help if we can.

OLP
Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #229 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
That's an understatement!

Thanks BKT.
Working on them is part of the fun, and you learn a lot about them by working on them. Enjoy your build and I think we'd all enjoy seeing your build progress and help if we can.

OLP
+1
Old 12-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I need serious help.
I've come close to hitting the place order button many times today, the main thing holding me back is I can't make my mind up between 500E Pro or 500EFL Pro. The FB one is only $50 cheaper, but I'm also undecided on the Align 3GX set-up.
It's a good thing I'm indecisive on this hypothetical decision otherwise I'm sure by now it wouldn't be hypothetical any more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ineedhelp.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	272214  
Old 12-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #231 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Steemo, you may want to check out the Tarot 500. Tarot gets rave reviews and so does the $79 FBL electronics. You can save many hundreds of dollars over an Align so you wont feel so bad after making the purchase.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
I will be happy with my bees, 450's and MCPX and will refrain myself from going 500..
Same here......except there are some REALLY nice scale fuses for 500 size....mmmmm......
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #233 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I'm glad I still have the 450 to build--and that should occupy me enough so I can keep my finger off the the Pay Now button--except for parts, of course! Hey OLP, I will definitely post build details, and I will definitely be asking everyone for help.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post

I need serious help.
I've come close to hitting the place order button many times today, the main thing holding me back is I can't make my mind up between 500E Pro or 500EFL Pro. The FB one is only $50 cheaper, but I'm also undecided on the Align 3GX set-up.
It's a good thing I'm indecisive on this hypothetical decision otherwise I'm sure by now it wouldn't be hypothetical any more.
Steemo,

I just finished building a Tarot 500 FBL and a TRex 450 Sport V2 FBL.

For the Tarot I used the RJX head, for the 450 I used the Align head.

Both birds are on Microbeast.

I will be posting a detailed thread on this ... But... here are my comments based on my recent experience. In summary get the Align 500EFL.

Since I am comparing brands using 2 different sizes of birds my assumption here is that the Align quality is consistent across sizes.

- Main shaft and tail shaft on the Tarot were bent right out of the box. The tail shaft was actually bad CNCed.

- In general the finishing on the Align parts are of superior quality.

- The FB head on the Tarot is pretty good, I could not tell the difference compared to the Align one.

- Hardware screw quality is pretty much the same. I was not impressed with both. Coming from a Blade brand heli, the screws on the Blade are way much better. I mean way better. I'm actually looking for a screw kit from a 3rd party for both the 500 and the 450.

- The canopy on the Tarot is cheap. You will want to replace it. I mean, your are building a new bird, I am assuming you will want it to look cool also.

- Some Servo mounting brackets are yellow on the Tarot (ugly), unless your new canopy had yellow in it. Mine is read.

- The blades on the Tarot are black and blue.

I have not done the math yet, but I might have saved just over 100 bucks between the Tarot kit, Turnigy motor, Turnigy ESC, used servos Hitec 5245MG (which I had to rebuild them).

Unless you are on a very strict budget, which might be the case, save yourself from the headache and get the Align.

I can't speak for the 3GX. I went Microbeast based on my research here at HeliFreak. I also have a friend that just converted his 500E to FBL and he is on 3GX. He is not very happy with it as he still tweaking the 3GX. This is a guy that has 2 600 Helis, one running VBar and the other a Microbeast. So, I went with Microbeast. But there are people out there happy with 3GX.

Again, I'm typing this post from my phone and will post my detailed experience on a diff thread later.
RCHN #15

PauloG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thx for the feedback gladiator, I'm pretty set on the align EFL kit at this stage. I just need approval from the treasurer.
All up i've spent $500 on my HK500 build and im really happy with it but the way i see it now for just a little extra over that you can get a top of the range align 500 kit I do want another 500 so may as well get that. My only concern is the TT, seems to be the source of many vibrations and headaches with replacing umbrella gears after minor tail strikes. but the only other high end 500 sized kits with belt drives from other manufacturers are way more expensive.
Post a link to your other thread for us when you get it started.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #236 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
Hardware screw quality is pretty much the same. I was not impressed with both. Coming from a Blade brand heli, the screws on the Blade are way much better. I mean way better. I'm actually looking for a screw kit from a 3rd party for both the 500 and the 450.
Gladiator, I got an RCscrews kit for my 500. They're stainless steel, for about $30. I got mine a little cheaper on cyber Monday from Red rocket hobbies but many other parts suppliers have them, as well as rcscrews.com. Not sure but I think there was a 450 kit available also.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #237 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post

I need serious help.
That's a seriou$ order Steemo! Your 500 really made an impression on you!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is off the subject a bit, but I figured you guys would like to see this use of an RC helicopter: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/vi...eti/assignment
Old 12-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Gladiator, I got an RCscrews kit for my 500. They're stainless steel, for about $30. I got mine a little cheaper on cyber Monday from Red rocket hobbies but many other parts suppliers have them, as well as rcscrews.com. Not sure but I think there was a 450 kit available also.
Yes there is a kit for both the 450pro and v2.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
That's a seriou$ order Steemo! Your 500 really made an impression on you!
You have no idea, it gets worse each time I fly her.

Have you started setting up pitch curves and throttle curves on your Tx?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in