Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flight Simulator,

Looking for a good six channel flight simulator that's out on the market that I can buy to learn how to fly better without tearing up my real RC helicopters is anybody have any suggestions? But I don't need the top-of-the-line nor do I want the bottom of the barrel type simulator, thx
rodchair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodchair View Post
Looking for a good six channel flight simulator that's out on the market that I can buy to learn how to fly better without tearing up my real RC helicopters is anybody have any suggestions? But I don't need the top-of-the-line nor do I want the bottom of the barrel type simulator, thx
Phoenix, RealFlight, AeroFly, Heli-X
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

An RC simulator is good money spent.

You'll be able to learn how to fly from simple to complex maneuvers and save yourself many real life crashes which are expensive, time consuming and confidence draining.

You'll probably spend from about $50 or $60 up to about $200 to get something that will actually help you learn how to fly. It seems hard to justify spending that kind of money at first, especially if all you have is a micro heli, but eventually you will see the value.

ArchmageAU listed the ones worth considering, and I'll add Clearview to that as well, though if you have the money, I'd recommend stepping up to the better sims right away and save some time and money in the long run.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojack View Post
... and I'll add Clearview to that as well,....
The request was for 6 channel sim.

I dropped ClearView off the list (even though i have it) as it does not separate input from the throttle and collective channels (you can program these per model and use idle-up to switch gyro settings).

Heli-X (in 5 channel mode) does not use a gyro channel, but can like Clearview, you can simulate this with the idle-up modes.

In short, get the best sim you can afford (and works on your hardware). If Windows, (or mac in emulation), read the debates between Phoenix, RF and AeroFly.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Buy it used

You should buy a quality sim - I'm thinking real flight or Phoenix - used on the forums for about $100. I just sold Phoenix w/o controller for $80. If you were done with it, you could re-sell it here as well. But, I don't ever plan on selling my real flight, it's very hard to outgrow it.
CalRotor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
The request was for 6 channel sim.

I dropped ClearView off the list (even though i have it) as it does not separate input from the throttle and collective channels (you can program these per model and use idle-up to switch gyro settings).
Fair enough. ClearView does not have a pitch channel or gyro channel, but as the original poster is not familiar with RC simulators, is he truly asking for a sim which allows adjustable pitch curves and gyro settings from the transmitter, or just trying to find a program that simulates 6-channel helis decently?

As you can map transmitter channels to both Idle Up and Throttle Hold with ClearView, you can pretty much get the basic 6-channel heli experience, including inverted flight and auto-rotation practice in ClearView. My opinion is that's what the OP is looking for, as opposed to pitch curve setting and gyro setting via the transmitter, which is far from what a beginner needs.

That said, Having flown both ClearView and Phoenix each for many months, Phoenix is the far better sim for advanced learning and will take you much further down the road in the hobby overall. Pricewise, once you add in the USB controller that you need to fly in ClearView, Phoenix does not actually cost much more than ClearView. If you're really pinching pennies though, ClearView is far better than no sim at all!

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojack View Post
.. ClearView is far better than no sim at all!
At the risk of a +1 post, I agree to all you have said. Especially the last point.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+ 1 to the above !
neverland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in