Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Robird G31

Robird G31 RobirdUSA Factory Support Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #801 (permalink)
Registered Users

New addition to the fleet, no electronics yet but a Robird will be going into it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compare1.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	512789   Click image for larger version

Name:	compare3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	512790  
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #802 (permalink)
Registered Users

What model is that with the tail rotor on the other side of boom? Potentially more scale like.
blade_crasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 AM   #803 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default servo centers

Hi. Been a while since I setup my last G31 on a T500. I am setting up a 550ePro DFC, and have noticed the servo position indicator for pitch is at -6 at mid stick. Should I use subtrim to zero on the pitch channel?

Thanks - AC

PS - Atomic... Do you have any close ups of your 550? I want a closer look at your RX antenna solution
OMPHobby M2 V2
AlphaCharlie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #804 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_crasher View Post
What model is that with the tail rotor on the other side of boom? Potentially more scale like.
X600EP, they used to come with a left side tail for TT and right side for belt but lately RJX has just been shipping the belts with a left side bellcrank like the TT version. Confused the hell out of me for a bit when the manual showed the tail on the other side and I couldn't figure out how to put it together. The tail gearbox is symmetrical and can be set up either way by changing the bellcrank and flipping the grips.

Also no matter if the tail is on the left side or the right side the servo direction remains unchanged i.e. pulling on the rod = counter torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCharlie View Post
PS - Atomic... Do you have any close ups of your 550? I want a closer look at your RX antenna solution
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #805 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome. Cheers mate!
OMPHobby M2 V2
AlphaCharlie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #806 (permalink)
Registered Users

I realise this is a ridiculously old thread but I thought I might ask a question in hope that some other heli fanatic might be able to help me out.
I have a Robird G31 on my first 'proper' heli. I also have an orange R615X Rx. So apparently I can use the bind/battery plug as an Sbus output, straight into the G31 SRX adaptor thingy then into the G31 SRx1.
So I have my RX bound, and working (plugged servos in to check). I then power it up by plugging it into the ESC which also powers up the G31. And then that's it. Nothing else happens, radio input results in nothing.
I have the Robird software receiver page saying Sbus and have that saved.
I watched a video where the blue light (status) comes on when the Sbus (Rx) is powered up but I get no light....
Any nice people have any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks so much in advance, I hope I'm not breaking any rules that I don't know about by posting on a thread that is 2 years old
maxymoorey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #807 (permalink)
Registered Users

"I realise this is a ridiculously old thread"

Not a problem. I still check this forum-I know others do as well. Just because they stopped making Robirds does not mean that Robirds don't still work extremely well.

I just did this:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=742951

I don't know about the Orange receivers which have S-Bus outputs, but I do know that the JR receivers have to be programmed for X-Bus output. Is there a chance that the receiver is not optioned correctly?

Is the SRX board oriented properly? I noticed that it can be plugged in backwards (reversing the signal and negative power leads) which will prevent things from working.

Also, did you get the tail servo powered? You can make a jumper for power only by removing the White (Signal) wire from one of the jumpers that come with the Robird and connecting it between the SRX2/Rud port on the Robird and any channel on the receiver.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #808 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet, thanks heaps for the reply!!
The Rx has no way to be programmed as far as I know :/
But you mention the Srx/rudder port needing power? So if I run a lead (minus the signal wire) from the rudder plug on the Rx to the Srx2/rud port of the G31 this could be my solution?
I also read some stuff about the heading hold and gyro gain switch having an effect on the blue light but I have played around with the switch and it still dosen't come on (cry)
Thanks again for the help!!
Old 06-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #809 (permalink)
Registered Users

"So if I run a lead (minus the signal wire) from the rudder plug on the Rx to the Srx2/rud port of the G31 this could be my solution?"

Yes, that will take care of it.

Have you tried plugging servos directly in to the receiver, just to confirm that it is bound to the transmitter?
Old 06-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #810 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy

Awesome!
Yep everything works as it should when connected to the Rx. It's just when plugged into the G31 and powered up I get no blue/red status light
Old 06-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #811 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you set the Robird up for PWM (and connect it as PWM) does it work?
Old 06-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #812 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy

I am yet to try as being fairlyyyy new to the hobby I don't have any spare servo leads lying around but I have some ordered and on the way so I'll let you know as soon as I've tried it all thank you!!
Old 06-15-2016, 01:30 AM   #813 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please keep us posted.

It would be interesting to see if there is a way to test the S-Bus output of the receiver.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:37 AM   #814 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will do
And just as a side note, does it really matter whether I plug the ESC into the robird or the Rx to power everything?
Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #815 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ESC should be plugged into the receiver with S-Bus.

The S-Bus cable will carry power to the Robird.

This is ok, if the machine is a 450 size or smaller.

For larger machines, 500 and above, you will need more current for the on-board electronics 10 amps or more) which means that you will need to supply power to the Robird (or any other FBL unit) with two leads or more (each lead is capable of providing about five amps, constant).

The BEC in most ESC's puts out about five amps (there are exceptions). For larger machines you will either need a BEC that is capable of putting out 10 amps or more, and has two output leads, or a battery similarly equipped. One lead can go to the Rx (the S-Bus cable will carry power from the receiver to the Robird and another lead from the power supply will need to go directly to the Robird (usually on a "Y" harness connected to one of the three cyclic servo ports-NEVER TO "GainPitAux!"). This is in addition the lead carrying power to the rudder servo on the "SRX 2Rud" port.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #816 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alrighty, no worries, thank you for that, it is a 450 with a YEP 45amp ESC. So in short, a lead can carry a max of 5 amps. Anything bigger then a 450 will most likely draw more then that so it will require a separate BEC with a lead to the receiver and a lead to the Robird. I think I got that
Thanks heaps for the help, I really appreciate it!! Will let you know what happens when the leads arrive
Old 06-22-2016, 03:05 AM   #817 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok so update....
Leads arrived, connected it all up as the diagram shows for a Spektrum/JR RX for PWM, saved it as PWM on the computer/robird then powered everything up. Blue status light still doesn't come on but when connected to the computer it is giving me real time feedback from the radio. The inout that the computer is showing is nothing at all like what I am feeding into the radio but the important thing is I am getting the signal to the robird. I tried your suggestion with the Sbus and the power leads from SRx2 but got nothing.
Still no status light
What should I try next?
Thanks again for your help!!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #818 (permalink)
Registered Users

What are you set up for in the Receiver Tab of the Robird Program?

You should be set up for "PWM" if using a conventional receiver.

Make sure that all of your connectors are plugged into the Robird in the correct orientation.

Someone else ran into the lack of a Blue Light thing quite a while back-it is somewhere on this forum.

I will attempt to search for it.

Edit: Found it!

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...highlight=Blue

PowerDyne is EXTREMELY adept with the Robird!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:57 PM   #819 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's awesome thank you for that! But.......still no luck
I tried all that you suggested aswell as what's on that page you linked me to. I plugged all servos straight into the Rx and they work fine. plugged them into the Robird, getting stick input live in the software as it should, save everything, unplug and restart and no blue light and no servo control
About ready to give up on it lol!! I have a new Rx on the way and I'll try that but I don't believe it's the issue because I get full visual control on the software I did a full reset of the software, is there a way to manually reset the robird? or other suggestions?
Thanks again!!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #820 (permalink)
Registered Users

maxymoorey,

Sorry it's not working, sir.

If Scott were still importing it, he would make it could (swap it out).

I do not know of a way to manually reset it-the only way to do a reset that I am aware of is the "Reset" button on the "Welcome" page of the Robird software (which is sounds like you have already done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in