Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Converting a West Wings Cub from elastic free flight to 4 chanel radio with brushless + lipo power, my first ever proper build. Be going three months, wings and tail a re finished, fuse is built, just construcitng a nose cone around the motor and then needs covering and detailing to finish
Kington99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Habu 32, my first EDF. Anyone else have one?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bob View Post
Habu 32, my first EDF. Anyone else have one?
No, but have been eyeing one of these. How do you like it? Building my plank fleet now, getting back into it with some smaller stuff.

Slow Stick (Many mods) the only plane I fly at home, love this thing
Mini Yak 54 Foamy, hate this plane, only fly in ZERO wind
Mini Rare Bear Foamy on 4S this thing is a missle 85mph + level, only 24 inch wing
Hyperion P-51 with retracts on 6S, yet to fly this one, gonna be stupid fast
PZ T-28, love this thing, lost radio and destroyed it, new airframe in the mail soon
Escapade 40 with a Mag. 52, my first Nitro

Need a larger 3D plank, and a speed demon EDF or pusher.
STICKHACK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default edf

That Habu is pretty cool I am also building my first edf I picked up a big F22 twin 70mm.
Heli8ight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by STICKHACK View Post
No, but have been eyeing one of these. How do you like it? Building my plank fleet now, getting back into it with some smaller stuff.

Slow Stick (Many mods) the only plane I fly at home, love this thing
Mini Yak 54 Foamy, hate this plane, only fly in ZERO wind
Mini Rare Bear Foamy on 4S this thing is a missle 85mph + level, only 24 inch wing
Hyperion P-51 with retracts on 6S, yet to fly this one, gonna be stupid fast
PZ T-28, love this thing, lost radio and destroyed it, new airframe in the mail soon
Escapade 40 with a Mag. 52, my first Nitro

Need a larger 3D plank, and a speed demon EDF or pusher.
Might I suggest 3DHS for your larger 3D plank. Excellent build quality, easy to assemble and fly like a dream. There's plenty of models and sizes to choose from, the AJ Slick is simply a joy to fly, comes in quite a few sizes too.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojappa View Post
Might I suggest 3DHS for your larger 3D plank. Excellent build quality, easy to assemble and fly like a dream. There's plenty of models and sizes to choose from, the AJ Slick is simply a joy to fly, comes in quite a few sizes too.
I have been drooling over them since I first saw them! I need to get comfortble with my low wing first. I just did my first nitro solo the other day on the Escapade after one buddy box when I bought it, mainly to build confidence in my landing it, I did fine, just being cautious. I do fine with park sized stuff. Just getting into larger planks is scary cause if I stuff a Parkzone plane im out like $100 for an airframe. If I stuff a 3DHS Slick, its gonna hurt. Im thinking Summer Time 'ish I will be shopping.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

What size you looking at? The Edge's fly nice too and the 41" (my first) is only $110 and the 48" is $150. Not too hurtful as most electronics will survive the crash, mine did anyway. (lost contact with the Edge and it nosed in hard from about 30', hurt to watch but was the doorway to my AJ Slick)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I want a BIG one. Like a 71 Slick Gasser ($439.00). Foam is a lot more durable when your are learning basics. I can fly, just need to build confidence and pratice various landing situations. I need to know how to recover in case of the unexpected. I have been getting my P51 ready, might take it out this weekend.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Understandable. I had the PZ Extra 300 as my first big plane which is famed for being a bitch to land. Once I built my confidence with that I had much less fear moving up to balsa, the performance difference is night and day. I would live a bigger 3D plane but financially it's just not in the cards with all my other expensive bike related needs/wants.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by STICKHACK View Post
Haven't flown or started the build yet but the quality is impressive.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #31 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I was at a local flying field before Christmas and a few folks showed up with turbines... VERY COOL!!! I had seen RC turbine jets on u-tube but never live and in person - AWESOME is all I can say! the sound, the smell, the speed. I was told you can generally expect to pay about $100/pound of thrust, so at 50 pounds which these were or close to it, you have $5000 tied up in just the turbine - my wifes response "Ahh..... No". I guess the NEW CAR I bought her for Christmas will only go so far.

So for now I will stick to my scratch foamy Infinion and my Pitts. Probably be hard to sneak an 8-10 foot long fighter jet past her (or the $5000 charge on the visa!!!).
Old 01-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default helis

Yeah, my situation is they are really out of my reach in terms of maintenance and repairs! So I could buy one but could never fly it.

My wife said no to a ultralite mesquito XET I was totally devastated, but she's seen me fly so maybe there was a good reason she said no.
Heli8ight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #33 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli8ight View Post
Yeah, my situation is they are really out of my reach in terms of maintenance and repairs! So I could buy one but could never fly it.

My wife said no to a ultralite mesquito XET I was totally devastated, but she's seen me fly so maybe there was a good reason she said no.
I flew Rally 2 seaters years ago... GREAT FUN! I am sure my wife would have the same reaction as yours if I brought it up!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfrog View Post
I was at a local flying field before Christmas and a few folks showed up with turbines... VERY COOL!!! I had seen RC turbine jets on u-tube but never live and in person - AWESOME is all I can say! the sound, the smell, the speed. I was told you can generally expect to pay about $100/pound of thrust, so at 50 pounds which these were or close to it, you have $5000 tied up in just the turbine - my wifes response "Ahh..... No". I guess the NEW CAR I bought her for Christmas will only go so far.

So for now I will stick to my scratch foamy Infinion and my Pitts. Probably be hard to sneak an 8-10 foot long fighter jet past her (or the $5000 charge on the visa!!!).
5000 is inexpensive really. Maybe the folks were speaking about the cost of the turbine itself. A quality turbine such as a Jetcat can run you thousands. For instance a Jet cat P200 is a powerhouse at 52lbs of thrust. The turbine with ECU alone is $5500. some of these guys have no problem dropping $15k on a model.

Quick story.. I was down at Joe Nall 2010 and a group of guys had a 1/5th scale F-16 they had up at the flight like prepping for a flight. The Turbine kept flaming out. Aftermath second flame out on the ground i would have wheeled her back to the bench. Unfortunately they decided on the 4th flameout to fire it let it run up on the jet fuel and send her soaring. At around 100ft off the ground the turbine quit and fell to earth like a brick. For a full Airframe and turbine setup less electronics an F-16 that size is in the 10k range.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk.
superrmario is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm building a Balsa Store Sbach 25 profile kit. It's the smallest of the design, really looking forward to flying it!

http://www.thebalsastore.com

T-Rex 470LP...
TCipolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just built a Hanger 9, P51 40 size electric
jetskier416 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 74" Edge 540 on the way. It's my first big plane and my first gas motor. RCG26 going in the nose.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got a Twist 60 size with a .91FS on it, and a Seagull Edge 540 60 size on the way. Its getting a 1.20FS stuffed into it, should be fun stuff. My last "big" heli is for sale in the classifeds, the planks are taking over. Resitance is futile, you will be assimilated.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes SM. I have a hobby People Superfly X PNP that doesn't need much work, but hope to see airborne in the spring. It may be simple, but it looks fun and relaxing. Your Yak looks so cool, and 15 flights, keep us posted. If it is a season's worth I like that challenge. Lots of cool and imaginative projects and some simple assembly projects here. I want to see how they all turn out so I can plan the building season after this.... :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in