Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Default PPM Blues

This is another "I can't get my Jeti receiver to talk to my Skookum 720".

But I'm not seeing the solutions in similar threads work so can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Done so far:
R3/RSW set to PPM Positive in device explorer.
Skookum set up software set to "Futaba / Jeti PPM".
Attempts made at both the default 17 ms and 20 ms.
Receiver to FBL cable tried in all 4 ports. Because I can't find which port PPM output is on in any documentation.
Different R3/RSW attempted (to eliminate bad reciever.)
SK720 has lousy documentation on imputs so signal line reversed and cable re-cycled through all 4 parts of both the first and second receiver.
Dusted off the 72mhz futaba, set SK720 to "traditional receiver" and got stick throws reflected (to take defective 720 off the table).

So that's two different R3s each with all 4 ports tried twice - once with mystery polarity on 720 one way, once again reversed.

Chasing down undocumented "PPM out" ports seemed to be the common factor in most reported failure to communicate so I'm looking for something else.

Any ideas?
Hawk404 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which firmware are you using on the R3? If you have updated to the latest version then here are the pin outs (from the Esprit site).

Port Configurations (Rx Firmware 3.20):
Standard: 1-3 Servo, 4/Ext Telemetry/USB Programming
PPM/Servo: 1-2 Servo, 3 PPM, 4/Ext Telemetry/USB Programming
EX Bus/Servo: 1-3 Servo, 4/Ext EX Bus/USB Programming
UDI/Servo: 1-2 Servo, 3 UDI, 4/Ext Telemetry/USB Programming

So in PPM mode it is port 3.

I am using an RSat2 with PPM into my SK720, this is on 3.11 firmware but there is only 1 PPM port for use so I didn't have any problem with getting it working. I think I have set 20ms for that setup from memory.

//Dennis.

Last edited by Thunder Fighter; 04-12-2014 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: Updated with correct info
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have updated the above post as I must have copied the wrong info the first time.

//Dennis.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks but there is no discernible difference regardless of which port is used - they all don't work equally - port three got tried twice with two separate R3s (as did all the other ports).

Right now I've got the Skookum working in "traditional" mode using an R7 I had on hand. Which oddly enough provided me an opportunity to get more practice with the servo connector crimping tool which provided me with an ugly but working version of the Skookum cable.

It does however look like a nest of snakes and I'll probably revert to Spektrum sats - I like the Jeti but right now I'm glad I kept the DX-18.

If I can't get the PPM thing sorted out the Jeti will have very limited applicability.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi.
Setup like this:

1.Model/ Device Explorer/ R3 ( or the name of used Rx) EX:
Output mode PPM Positive (in some rare cases Negative)
Output period 20ms
No. of channels 8 channels
Fail-Safe Disabled/ Enabled (try both options)

2.System/ Configuration:
Transmit frequency 100Hz

If still don`t work try to Load latest Rx Update 3.21.

Best regards.
osat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by osat View Post
Hi.
Setup like this:

1.Model/ Device Explorer/ R3 ( or the name of used Rx) EX:
Output mode PPM Positive (in some rare cases Negative)
Output period 20ms
No. of channels 8 channels
Fail-Safe Disabled/ Enabled (try both options)

2.System/ Configuration:
Transmit frequency 100Hz

If still don`t work try to Load latest Rx Update 3.21.

Best regards.
Thanks! How do I do that?

Or, more to the point, where can I get the little blue gizmo shown here:

http://www.jetimodel.com/en/Download...rs-Tx-Modules/
Old 04-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Near you:

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-tele...b-adapter.aspx

FW for R3 is 3.20 (3.21 is for RSAT2 only)
Old 04-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Ah. Hiding in plain sight it would seem.

Here's hoping...
Old 04-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The skookum side uses IO-B as the ppm port also.. I didn't see if you mentioned that..
Rockarruda is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Yup - IO-B on the SK and port 3 on the Jeti - should cut down on the fire drill where I try every port to see if they got moved.

IO-B also serves as "Elevator In" when using a "traditional" receiver, which worked fine.

Since it works fine with ports as per the manual when set for "traditional" I've pretty much ruled out mis-labeled ports on both the SK and Jeti.

With an R7 set to "servo output" everything is fine. The only glitch is with PPM on an R3 - either one of the two I have so I'm also ruling out a defective R3 - anything's possible but it doesn't seem likely I'd get two PPM dead R3s at once.

The 100Hz transmitter frequency was the factory default so no need to change that.

There isn't a "PPM specific" cable is there? I tried both a 3 conductor standard and one that had a signal lead only - no + or - pins.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

After you switch the R3 to PPM mode or change any of the pulse lengths, you need to cycle the power.

You probably want PPM+, 22us.
zortness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 06:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

As another test you can try using the R7 to PPM mode as that will confirm if it is a faulty R3.

//Dennis.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

The Skookum does a hard reset when the receiver type is changed in the software and I was doing a dance with the output cable and battery cable on the R3s. The battery can't go into port 4 so I was moving it around while hunting mystery PPM-out ports with the connector cable - those two had enough power cycles to please a fleet of cable modem tech support gurus.

If the R7 worked in PPM mode it wouldn't indicate a bad R3 - it would indicate two bad R3s as I'd already gone through the port hunts with the two I had. Still, it's probably worth a shot. Any idea what the PPM-out port on the R7 might be? And would it change after the little blue gizmo shows up for the firmware updates?

As odd as it sounds it's shaping up to be a partially defective SK720. Just because it works with a receiver (any receiver) in "traditional" mode wouldn't necessarily mean the PPM-in portion isn't broken, or would it? For what it's worth the setup software for the SK freezes every few minutes much like the software did on an MSH Brain which turned out to be defective.

One thing I like about this hobby (OK, not really, I'm trying to see a silver lining here) is that some of the diagnosis turn up some pretty strange stuff. In searching for similar issues at least one guy solved it by replacing a defective receiver-to-FBL connector - that strikes me as pretty low odds and something one wouldn't try for at first.

Kinda like discovering a computer print issue was related to a defective LPT-1 cable. This happened to me once but it probably gives away my pre-USB age.

Or discovering that a gyro-servo combo pack would show up with a dead tail servo that I only figured out after spending a day blaming the gyro setup. And it wasn't incorrect settings for the gyro - the thing was dead as a doornail.

Realistically, the next most logical step is to try either of the R3s with another FBL unit. I'm just not eager to go through the setup again on any of the ones I have working. But I'm betting it's more likely the FBL than the firmware. This assumes that if the receiver firmware was horrendously out of date this would have showed up in "device explorer".(?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in