Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2004, 03:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Jeff,
I grease the thrust bearings about every 20-25 flights. I don't know if it makes a big difference using the harder duro dampener on the outside. It is just something I started doing when MA came out with the different durometers. My personal opinion is it gives a little better control having the harder durometer on the outside. Nothing scienitific about it, just my experience.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2004, 04:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

David,

In the Fury manual it says to put the thin shim 0329 on toward the dampers. Does it really matter if this shim or the 0332 is next to the damper?

It seems like the thin shim is cutting into the damper after a few flights causing it to look frayed. I wonder if I can just put the thicker shim next to the damper. This shim doesn't have such a sharp edge.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2004, 04:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Jeff,

On the C-clip axle if I remember correctly it says put the tapered washer next to the orings. I use to do that and the orings would fray and wear quickly.
Now I put the thicker shim next to the orings, then the thinner shim if I am using more than one shim and then the tapered washer. Since assembling the system in the above fashion the dampeners last longer. A few other of the MA Team pilots assemble the shims and washer in this fashion also. Don't know if this has been amended in the instructions.

Will I use Valvoline wheel bearing grease on the thrust bearings. I wanted grease that would stick as long as possible to the thrust bearings. Using the wheel bearing grease, only time I see grease on the blade roots is the first flight after I grease them. After I wipe that off the blades I never see it on the roots again till next time I regrease the thrust bearings. There is always some in the bearings when I regrease them.

David
Old 12-19-2004, 05:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Sweet!! Thank you David!! I have a tube of the valvoline in my grease gun right now from doing my trailer bearings before the VA event!!
Old 12-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Not trying to contradict David, just a different take on head maintenance. For me I never lube the thrust bearings between crashes, sometimes as many as 400 to 500 flights, I have never had a thrust bearing go bad and they look about the same after 400+ flights as they do after 10.

As for Dampers I just use the standard ones with the tapered washer one thin and one thick shim. Don’t grease the dampers!! I also use the silicone tube in the center of the spindle, even on the Tempest. For me Dampers are also a non maintenance issue.
Russ McC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2004, 06:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Russ,

Why not lube the dampers? And I'm not sure what you mean by the tapered washer? Is there a special washer?

What's happening on my Fury is after about may 20 or so flights the thin washer/shim next to the damper is cutting into the damper. Don't know why.

David,

So that's what I was wondering if I could put that thicker one next to the damper. I will try that next time.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 12-19-2004, 08:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jeff,
From my experience, if you are going thru head dampners that fast, you need more shims. For me (3d wannabe) I tighten the head up just about as much as I can. I know I've got it just a little tight when I do an auto and bleed off too much rpms and the heli ocillates at the low rpm. I usually have to change dampners after every 150 flights. Probably should do it sooner, but I'm lazy at times. I did change them out today and added a thin shim. Even tried the Harkey Drill chuck method and it worked as advertised This was on a 2 yr old Fury expert. I even went a step farther and replaced the main blade grips w/ new ones. I figure after 2 years, it would be a good thing to do. While in there, I regreased all the bearings.
conrod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2004, 08:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

Hi Jeff

These dampers are setup to be used dry, if you lube them you will not get the desired damping and the dampers will degrade very fast. If you run them dry they last a long time. This setup was designed for no lube.

The washer I am referring to is the thick one, about 1mm that is slightly beveled on one side, the beveled side goes toward the dampers. :cool:
Old 12-19-2004, 10:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Beveled washer? Man that tells you how observant I am I will probably redo the head just to make sure it's correct. I want those darn dampers to last longer than they have been.

Conrod,

I think the dampening that I run is very "tight". I just think that the thin shim is cutting into the rubber.

Thanks for the info guys.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2004, 10:36 PM   #30 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Fury Expert head no tapered washer used
http://www.ronlund.com/images/plans/fury/8.jpg

This is a clipped axle assembly with the tapered washer 0848-3
http://www.ronlund.com/images/plans/xlse/head.jpg

The above assembly is used on the SE and the Pro

Extreme Head
http://www.ronlund.com/extreme/head.jpg

Reason I mentioned the tapered washer 0848-3. I have used it on the Extreme head assembly even thou it does not come stock in the kit or shown on the drawings. My Extreme head were converted from SE head's.
Sorry for the confusion.

David
Old 12-20-2004, 02:22 PM   #31 (permalink)

Thanks David,

On further inspection I see that I have this washer on some of my heads and not on others. The heads without this washer I put the thick shim against the O ring and check to see if the shim is rounded on one side and sharper on the other side, if yes then pet the rounded side against the O ring.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

So do you guys think it's worth it to get the beveled washer?

Jeff
Old 12-20-2004, 08:54 PM   #33 (permalink)

No, I think the spindle is deferent (space between the snap wrings) in the heads with the washer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in