Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Full pitch - Aleron servo moves farther

Once I have my swash level, after I 90* my servos in G, I tested full travel and with full pitch up, my aileron servo moves farther causing a slightly unlevel swash at full pitch. should I adjust my endpoint? or just leave it? thanks
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevendavis View Post
Once I have my swash level, after I 90* my servos in G, I tested full travel and with full pitch up, my aileron servo moves farther causing a slightly unlevel swash at full pitch. should I adjust my endpoint? or just leave it? thanks
I don't believe there's an adjustment you can make for this issue. BeastX doesn't have the ability to adjust individual servo end points like most other FBL's do.
Baedarlboo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just leave it. Beastx will compensate when it's in the air. Sometimes it does funky stuff on the workbench.

Sent using Otto correct.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
It seems to be flying fine just leaving it. On the 3GX I always made sure the swash was moving level throughout the pitch range. But that was on much larger helis.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburkhardt View Post
Just leave it. Beastx will compensate when it's in the air. Sometimes it does funky stuff on the workbench.

Sent using Otto correct.
So you're saying even with uneven servo travel between cyclic servos, that if I go out and do pitch pumps it'll stay flat because BeastX will know and therefore compensate? This has not been the case for me so I'd like to see it before I believe it.

If this is the case, why bother to even level the swash? Just slap the heli together and let the FBL compensate...
Baedarlboo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes.

Tony Whiteside told me Beast sometimes acts funny on the bench and he is right.

Try giving a touch of aileron on the bench and then give collective. The swash will most not level out.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can set maximum and minimum pitch in the Beast X. Unless I have totally imagined that. Pitch limits in K, Cyclic in L
jverhaeren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburkhardt View Post
Yes.

Tony Whiteside told me Beast sometimes acts funny on the bench and he is right.

Try giving a touch of aileron on the bench and then give collective. The swash will most not level out.
They all do that, the FBL unit is not seeing an angle change that you commanded so it holds that input for a while until the heli moves to that angle, if enough time passes the cyclic decay will run its course and the swash will go back to its neutral position.

Steve
Old 07-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jverhaeren View Post
You can set maximum and minimum pitch in the Beast X. Unless I have totally imagined that. Pitch limits in K, Cyclic in L
Yep, but as already stated by baedarlboo, the OP would need to be able to adjust the limits of each servo independently. Other FBLs have that feature, BeastX does not.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Vortex from Spartan, certainly a high class FBL offering, doesn't offer high low levelling either, and I'll tell you what Angelos told us in the Vortex forum. This is not word for word, since I can't find the quote, but it pretty much sums it up.

'I could add high low levelling of the swash, it would be trivial to do so, but it would be almost totally pointless. During something like a full pitch punch out there is so much going on in the control loops to compensate for off angle forces, why would you think that one servo over travelling, when on the bench, would have any impact in flight whatsoever, when it has to deal with so many other things.

There is wind, differing servo speeds, even if they are the same servo, differing air density per side of the disc due to turbulence, slop, imperfect set-up, etc. The list is almost endless, but I name just a few.

The Vortex senses any un-commanded rotation, and applies compensation as necessary. Any good FBL unit will do the same.'

And in answer to the earlier question, why do we even bother to start off being level at mid stick, the answer is I'm not entirely sure, but I do know that you can fly a MB equipped heli with one servo 30 degrees out of alignment. Ask me how I know.

Okay, I'll tell you anyway, I did exactly that by mistake, and the issue I had was not with cyclic it was with collective. Everything else moved to match the off angle servo, because cyclic takes precedence over collective, causing a huge offset in collective, making it hard to get off the ground, but when I did get it airborne, at almost full collective, the cyclic was easily controllable, with only a small drift.

I think if cyclic was controlled as tightly as an HH tail, without the decay, then you could set your swash almost wherever you wanted it, apart from the impact on collective, which I described earlier. The problem is that it cannot be controlled so tightly, it has to be almost akin to rate mode, so corrections do decay away, and this might then show in a very long pull out, especially if you were a long way out with your level.

So why not control cyclic like an HH setting on the tail, where it is completely locked in, well, by all accounts, if you fly HH cyclic, it feels absolutely awful. Very robotic, and extremely unpleasant and very unnatural.

Have I done that, no, but I have read it many times.

So that's what I have gleaned from an awful lot of FBL reading. Can you fly with it off level at hover, yes, without question, but it displaces your collective, and it will slowly pull off because the corrections slowly fade.

Would that affect you at full collective, probably not, because you are not there for long enough for the decay to take effect, and the quick response correction will be taking precedence.

Will it eventually count, yes, but it clearly isn't considered significant by at the very least two of the major FBL manufacturers in BeastX and Spartan, since they don't offer this feature.

Sorry for going on, but drink is in, and being concise is out.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2016, 03:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can only suggest to redo the Microbeast setup, restarting with setup point "G". Check then afterwards in "J", "K" , "L", if everything is working correctly and servos move in parallel.

You should be able to set exact +/- Pitch.
For example at "K": -12 degrees to +12 degrees Pitch
(check both sides: left and right)

at "L": -10 degrees to +10 degrees Cyclic Aileron
-10 degrees to +10 degrees Cyclic Elevator

================================================== ===
If one servo fails this setup, then replace it.

Sven
lahannsven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I've repeted the setup for the above mentioned a couple of times with the same result. I did replace my aileron servo recently and that is probably my cause. I've been flying it alot lately and the only bad habit is on pitch pumps, the down side, the heli will fall off to the left some. But I think this may be one of the other settings in the BeastX that needs tuned. Plus, I've recently installed the Lynx motor, wich is much better than stock for power!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in