Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Need some help with this one!

So I'm a huge Nick Maxwell fan. He's by far my favorite pilot to watch. Really cool guy, too. My flying style is a mix between him and Curtis, because that's where I get all my inspiration.
I've copied some of his moves, and it blows my buddys' minds at the field. It's pretty badass seeing all the . Haha.

But.. I can't get this one down.

This video is incredible. But the move I'm talking about starts at 3:12. I don't even know what to call it.

Nick Maxwell Tree Trimming NIGHT - 4th Annual Heli Phenomenon (5 min 50 sec)

I can do the horizontal funnels he starts at 3:20, those are fairly easy. However, whatever he starts at 3:12, I'm lost.
Need some help with the braintrust here to figure that one out, so I can REALLY freak everybody out at the field.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Try slowing the video down to 0.5 or 0.25 the speed. But still is very complicated move. Will certainly leave everyone speechless at the field.
Blade 450X
Heli.Maniac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like he starts a piro flip with a very low piro rate but instead of completing the flip, at inverted he returns the flip from where it came, sort of half flips back and forth while piroing.
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Kinda. But it's a roll right, then a roll right. And opposite rudder inverted and upright

Old 08-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

I slowed it down, it's really not that complicated. It's just how quick he does it that makes it confusing to watch. gitbse is right. He rolls right, half piro with left rudder, roll right again back to upright, half piro with right rudder, repeat. He doesn't pause or come to rest at all between them. Nick's the best there is when it comes to creative, innovative maneuvers that make you scratch your head and have to slow the video down just to process what you just saw.
TheVortex3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Watched it super slow and you're right, plain rolls with left rudder inverted for what seems a quarter to half a piro and a hint of right rudder upright.
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVortex3d View Post
He doesn't pause or come to rest at all between them. Nick's the best there is when it comes to creative, innovative maneuvers that make you scratch your head and have to slow the video down just to process what you just saw.
That's for sure. That's why I love watching him so much, and why I copy so much of his style. He pushes the envelope of creativity more than anybody.
I'll never forget the IRCHA 2012 I went to, during the One Comp. that he won. He did a MASSIVE angled hurricane, where the body was somewhere around 45 degrees, rather than nose forward or side forward, as in a funnel. The crowd went CRAZY when he did that. It was nothing crazy special, but it looked so badass. That hurricane won the comp for him.

But yea, that seems like it's pretty much it. It's amazing the transition between right/left rudder he does, it's incredibly seamless.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitbse View Post
That's for sure. That's why I love watching him so much, and why I copy so much of his style. He pushes the envelope of creativity more than anybody.
I'll never forget the IRCHA 2012 I went to, during the One Comp. that he won. He did a MASSIVE angled hurricane, where the body was somewhere around 45 degrees, rather than nose forward or side forward, as in a funnel. The crowd went CRAZY when he did that. It was nothing crazy special, but it looked so badass. That hurricane won the comp for him.

But yea, that seems like it's pretty much it. It's amazing the transition between right/left rudder he does, it's incredibly seamless.
After the piro flips it looks like he is doing the heli equivalent of a snap roll.

A snap roll (or flick roll) is an off axis roll that really messes up a planes aerodynamics something fierce (heli no so much, as it helps keep thrust in the direction of travel, but still need to compensate for wind and gravity to keep it online which Nick does amazingly).

Love the flipping hurricane (CCW circle of tight circles/flips).

The rotating axis tic-tocs were pretty cool too.

Was it me, or did the piro flips look like standard 360/360 piro flips, but cued side on instead of the usual tail in.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think I've got it down... it's getting real close. I can do it skids out really well. It's when I try to change to skids in like Nick does it.. it can get sloppy. Skids in is what makes it look so cool when he does it. That and the fact that Nick is straight up badass.

I'll get both down soon though.
I'll post a video soon.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

*Edit.*
Just spent some time on the sim again.
Skids in is INCREDIBLY challenging. I can do alot of stuff skids in, but this "pommel horse" as I call it... is going to be a bear to master.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in