Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 150 Class Electric Helicopters

150 Class Electric Helicopters 150 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TREX 150 CRAZY MOD?

Hello,
Trex 150 is my first Align.
Frankly speaking I'm quite upset by the poor quality of the 3in1 board and the fact that I'm not the only one (I read plenty of complains in the web!) makes me even more.
Very probably I'll never purchase Align again.
Having said this, I have a good experience with HCP100S which is by far more robust in electronics (and not only) and cheaper.
One idea arose in my mind.
Maybe crazy.
Since the 150 MRS board is so poor and expensive, why not trying to replace it with the same kind of board from HCP100S (http://www.banggood.com/Hisky-HCP100...l?rmmds=search) ?
Still two brush-less motors, same performance.
Still 3D, still FBL.
For sure I'll need to make a join between JST-SH (HCP100S servos) and JST-ZH (150 servos) connectors, to plug the 150 servos in the HCP100S board.
Am I underestimating something?
Is it crazy?
Any precious comment or suggestion will be appreciated a lot.

Ciao,
S
Cirodi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirodi View Post
Hello,
Trex 150 is my first Align.
Frankly speaking I'm quite upset by the poor quality of the 3in1 board and the fact that I'm not the only one (I read plenty of complains in the web!) makes me even more.
Very probably I'll never purchase Align again.
Having said this, I have a good experience with HCP100S which is by far more robust in electronics (and not only) and cheaper.
One idea arose in my mind.
Maybe crazy.
Since the 150 MRS board is so poor and expensive, why not trying to replace it with the same kind of board from HCP100S (http://www.banggood.com/Hisky-HCP100...l?rmmds=search) ?
Still two brush-less motors, same performance.
Still 3D, still FBL.
For sure I'll need to make a join between JST-SH (HCP100S servos) and JST-ZH (150 servos) connectors, to plug the 150 servos in the HCP100S board.
Am I underestimating something?
Is it crazy?
Any precious comment or suggestion will be appreciated a lot.

Ciao,
S
I think it's probably easier to replace the 150 MRS with the 150X GRS.

So far I like 150X GRS better. GRS is also cheaper than MRS as well. As soon as I can get a GRS I am going to try to put it on my 150.

But I agree that the HCP100S is pretty nice, and cheap (I have 4 ), especially with dsm2/dsmx satellites and the tail dead-band mod for DX9, which I use to control the 150X as well.
cm930 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2016, 02:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm930 View Post
I think it's probably easier to replace the 150 MRS with the 150X GRS.

So far I like 150X GRS better. GRS is also cheaper than MRS as well. As soon as I can get a GRS I am going to try to put it on my 150.

But I agree that the HCP100S is pretty nice, and cheap (I have 4 ), especially with dsm2/dsmx satellites and the tail dead-band mod for DX9, which I use to control the 150X as well.
What do you mean with "tail dead-band" mod?
It sounds interesting.

About the new Align board, apart that it is not available yet (in Italy), but most important is that I don't want give a penny more to Align!
They ask for premium price, but they don't sell quality for it in my mind.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

not so crazy as i thought about doing the same thing with one of my 150's for the same reasons as you..servo's could be an issue tho

for the price align asks you would expect it to have a lot less problems
Modifly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The servo arrangements are different and you have to mount HCP100s board upside down. Result isn't that good as the HCP100s has some flaws such as high main gain, sluggish swash and tail dead zone, and all getting much worse when mounted on faster 150 frame. IMHO the 150dfc with blhelied tail is still a better flyer than HCP100s even with last gen mrs, it just doesn't crash well than HCP100s. Don't waste time doing that because they are totally different kind of heli, and if you don't want to buy align-thing anymore than you can try cheaper xk120 which flies much like 150.
johnniechang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 04:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniechang View Post
The servo arrangements are different and you have to mount HCP100s board upside down.
Hello,
I appreciate your comment, but why are you saying this?
The fact the the servos are rotated by by 180° doesn't mean in my my mind that this influences the gyro sensors.
You have to put the board upside down only if you reverse the main rotor rotation verse.
That's for sure.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What do you mean with "tail dead-band" mod?
It sounds interesting.

About the new Align board, apart that it is not available yet (in Italy), but most important is that I don't want give a penny more to Align!
They ask for premium price, but they don't sell quality for it in my mind.
You can completely eliminate the tail dead-band in HCP100s with the following mod for Spektrum DX9 (it works great on my DX9)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post34573770

Also, I would agree that the quality of the MRS is not great. But having lived with the 150X for more than a month, I think the quality of GRS is much improved. It is my favorite heli now (HCP100s second favorite).

In short, I am glad I gave Align a second chance (mostly because I had a lot of leftover parts for the 150 when I stopped flying it due to MRS failure ).
cm930 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hello,
I appreciate your comment, but why are you saying this?
The fact the the servos are rotated by by 180° doesn't mean in my my mind that this influences the gyro sensors.
You have to put the board upside down only if you reverse the main rotor rotation verse.
That's for sure.
The 100s board is not programmable and there's no way to change servo and gyro direction. You will get opposite elevator compensation if mounted normally(servos are 180° turned around).
First you have to rewire one servo to go reverse to correct pitch movement, then you can try out the right 3 axis compensation by change board position or reverse main and tail rotor rotation.
The servo arrangement has nothing to do with gyro sensors but it does influence the mixing servo output and the wash movement, wrong combination will be unflyable.
johnniechang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in