Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Turn off the sound?

Hello!

I just wonder if it is possible too turn off the sound on the DX8 when programing-
My wife woud lowe it :-)

Cheers

/J
JOHA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

See post # 26
700E V2 800 Stretch,Vbar,KDE everything :700E DFC HV,Vbar,KDE:CC 160edge:550E KDE,Vbar mini,CC 120Edge, Scorp 4025-1100:450Pro 6S:250DFC:2X Mcpx DBL BL
Fastredrover is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnahamelv
Throttle Hold can also be considered a flight mode, for a total of 4 flight modes. It certainly would be nice if the F-Mode switch was a 4-way switch with the appropriate firmware to support it. With the Castle governor mode and autorotation bailout option checked, N F-mode is kept at 0%, and TH at the highest % that will not power the electric motor. This leaves only two F-modes that will power the motor, Stunt 1 and Stunt 2, to activate only two of the three possible governor settings (30%, 70%, 100%). If you want to active the 3rd governor setting you would have to manually change the % in the Throttle Curve screen while the helicopter is on the ground.

Like jhheli alluded above, having a Stunt 3 would allow you to use all 3 governor settings (30%, 70% and 100%) at the flip of the switch while in flight.

You don't have to set your normal to 0% flat like Castle says. You can set it to 0-30-30-30-30 which will still give you normal flight mode, but this way you can only arm the ESC with the throttle stick in the bottom position. I have mine set in gov. mode with autorotation bailout enabled and my TH curves are N 0-30-30-30-30, ST1 70 flat and ST2 100 flat. Works like a charm.

See post # 26
700E V2 800 Stretch,Vbar,KDE everything :700E DFC HV,Vbar,KDE:CC 160edge:550E KDE,Vbar mini,CC 120Edge, Scorp 4025-1100:450Pro 6S:250DFC:2X Mcpx DBL BL
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice videos. Perhaps it is good to add them to Heli Skills and Setup 101 - LOOK here first! thread?
Kalpazan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastredrover View Post
Worked it out and happy with result.
Just swapped the roles of the two switches by adjusting there values.
Rudder D/R "hold" is set to the auto rotation window of the CC controler.
HOLD switch is set to zero, CC arming.

Use Rudder D/R for auto's, flip back out will give fast spool bail out.
HOLD switch will give ESC arming and from there slow spool up.
This frees up normal F-MOD which was zero throttle as per castle's quick tip video
giving a third head speed if I chose to use it.
Wow. Post # 26 is like an epiphany.

Basically, Throttle Cut can be used as a 5th Flight Mode. These are my new DX8 Throttle settings:

Normal FM = 30% flat, FM 3-way switch
IDLE 1 = 70% flat, FM 3-way switch
IDLE 2 = 100% flat, FM 3-way switch
TH = 16% flat (highest throttle % that will not power the motor), TH 2-way switch
Throttle Cut 0%, Trainer toggle button

Castle ESC with "set speed" governor mode with Autorotation box checked.

Just like the DX8 firmware gives Throttle Hold priority over F-Mode, the firmware also gives Throttle Cut priority over Throttle Hold.

I just need to press the Trainer switch (Throttle Cut) to arm the ESC. This makes Normal Flight Mode completely functional without a 0% anywhere in it. Autorotation bailout works as intended.

This is so cool!

Thank you Fastredrover.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Woah! I totall missed that!

That is awesome! My normal mode was always 0-20-30-30-30. I'm going to have to experiment with the TC/TH like you suggested.

So... let me sound this out... TH gets put on the hold switch at the highest value that won't spin the motor, TC gets on Trainer at 0%.

I plug the pack in and put the bird on the flight line, press Trainer and ESC initializes, release it and I'll get a soft start to my now flat normal/30% then I can use TH to practice autos with (with bail-out checked in the CC)

The only down side I can think of is after the flight, when I have TH on... if that accidently gets bumped... which does happen... you've got a no warning - fast spool-up in your face.

I think for safety's sake I like the idea of TC on Hold, and TH on either a D/R or Gear.

Certainly opens up a lot of possibilities though!
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
So... let me sound this out... TH gets put on the hold switch at the highest value that won't spin the motor, TC gets on Trainer at 0%.
That's the way I have it set up. One can always reassign the switches.
Quote:
I plug the pack in and put the bird on the flight line, press Trainer and ESC initializes, release it and I'll get a soft start to my now flat normal/30% then I can use TH to practice autos with (with bail-out checked in the CC)
You can do it like that. My preference is to have TH activated before press the Trainer switch to arm the CC ESC. That way, there is no spool up when I let go of the Trainer switch. It spools when I deactivate TH.
Quote:
The only down side I can think of is after the flight, when I have TH on... if that accidently gets bumped... which does happen... you've got a no warning - fast spool-up in your face.
You can always just depress the Trainer switch (Throttle Cut set at 0%). If for some reason you bump the TH switch, at least it would be a soft start spool up.

BTW, another cool thing I recently learned about the Timer of the DX8, if you set the Timer to "Throttle Out" and set to any % that will spool up the head (power the motor), the timer only counts when the motor is being powered. I have mine set to 30%. During autorotations, when the motor is not being powered, the timer stops. If I decide to take a little break and leave the helicopter on the ground after the autorotation, wondering how I managed not to crash, the Timer stays put. The timer starts again automatically when I spool up.

That's pretty cool too.
Amain Team Pilot
Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks John, I'm going to have to try that out! And yes, I love the throttle out timer option... when it was on a switch, at least 1 out of 5 times I'd either forget to turn the timer off... or back on again. Having it tied to throttle channel position instead of stick position is great

My packs are always coming back in within a few % of each other no matter how often I screw around
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks John, I'm going to have to try that out! And yes, I love the throttle out timer option... when it was on a switch, at least 1 out of 5 times I'd either forget to turn the timer off... or back on again. Having it tied to throttle channel position instead of stick position is great

My packs are always coming back in within a few % of each other no matter how often I screw around
Yeah! I am really surprised that Spektrum has not advertised this "Throttle Out" Timer option more fully. It really works well, but only once one understands it.

Equally surprising, with all the the bad rap Castle has been getting about their ESC's burning/flaming/exploding/nuking in biblical proportions, added to the complaints of loosing an F-Mode when in Autorotation bailout governor mode, one would think that Castle would better advertise this simple configuration adjustment.

Makes you wonder what other hidden secrets there are in these systems.
Amain Team Pilot

Last edited by jhamel; 02-12-2012 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there.

Glad you like the 5th throttle channel value the throttle cut gives.
I find it works really well fo me.

The way I have it configured I think also gives a double safety to TH.
TH 0% and TC 16%, I think the opposite to you John.
Both TH and TC, "throttle cut" (on switch R/DR), have to be down to
get spool up slow.
Either one or both up gives TH. Put both up on power up.
You then have to bump both down to get an unintentional spool up.

Regards John
Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Cool

Just upgraded to 2.04 firmware and that fixed the potentiometer problem. Guess I don't have to send in my dx8 Afterall.
bfggamer81 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you going to go through the other programing . I really like the vids so far but wish that you would look at the programing for the heli. Like pitch curves and throttle etc.
feitelr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure if it was covered because I didn't read all of the post, but when you trim and you want to go back to center, it is not completely centered until the trim square is fiiled in/black. Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I am not done with these yet so I have not covered that stuff yet but I plan to.

Bob
Hello Bob. Since you tried some latest radio. Which one do you like the most?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Devo 8 to Devo 8s

Hello Bob,
Do you also have the Devo 8 radio? I was wondring if you would be covering upgrading that radio to the Devo 8S with the telemetry chip installation.

When I first read this thread I was thinkng Devo 8 and not DX8.

Thanks

Last edited by bryont; 04-28-2012 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: Wrong radio
bryont is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do i have to send my Dx8 in to get a rudd D\R switch? I can't find part anywhere. I just moved and when i pulled it out the box the switch was broke off.
helicoptermadness311 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicoptermadness311 View Post
Do i have to send my Dx8 in to get a rudd D\R switch? I can't find part anywhere. I just moved and when i pulled it out the box the switch was broke off.
Go to radio shack or any electronic store that sell switches. You can get switches over the internet. A switch is a switch. Is it a 3 way switch? Or 2. You can always call Horizon for replacement switch.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

THANK YOU for your hard work on these videos, just picked up a DX8 (my first good radio) and this is an invaluable resource for me.
TheMark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 04:03 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

I wish I found this 3 months ago!! Awesome
Own a Dx8 or Dx7s? Check out https://sites.google.com/site/txprofilemanager/
OfficialCrashTester is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Inactivity and Vibration alert is annoying!

Hi Bob,

Just received a new DX8 to supplement my 14mz.

The inactivity timer and vib alert is annoying! Anyway to disable it thru the software???

Thanks,

Michael
hpilotrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in