Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboyy View Post
Thank you Ivor. I have a cheap gyro, so maybe I should upgrade. Any suggestions?
What TX are you useing ?.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Ivor, just a quick thought on your setup thread. I was one of the ones who could not get the system to initiate on the computer and had to buy the field unit to program the FM unit. It got a little confusing as the language and setup procedure are the same but different. By the way, I owe you a huge thank you for you patience and help through that process! I was just wondering if it would be possible to somehow set up a small section on setting up the field box for guys that end up in the position I was in.
Randy
Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Hey Ivor, just a quick thought on your setup thread. I was one of the ones who could not get the system to initiate on the computer and had to buy the field unit to program the FM unit. It got a little confusing as the language and setup procedure are the same but different. By the way, I owe you a huge thank you for you patience and help through that process! I was just wondering if it would be possible to somehow set up a small section on setting up the field box for guys that end up in the position I was in.
Randy
Hi, I dont own one but I may get one they are handy. When I do I will post some instructions.
How are you getting on with yours now ?.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
Hi, I dont own one but I may get one they are handy. When I do I will post some instructions.
How are you getting on with yours now ?.
Ha, you wont believe this. The very moment I finally went to fly my new heli the KDS tail servo that came with my KDS900 gyro burned up. Literally the very moment I went to lift off! And after it had previously suffered torturous hours of bench work. So when I went to cautiously drop my bird back down the blades tagged the lift off bench and totaled the top end. I also had some vibration issues that in the end turned out to be the horrible Eflite gears wreaking havoc on the FM unit. I had previously tried several kinds of tape with different layers, even velcro and stuffing the gyro. Kind of weird that the designers put the gyro in the worst possible spot for vibrations on the entire heli! Hopefully the gyro mounting gel coming in the mail will solve any further issues at this point. In the meantime I hung on the microheli gear, custom built a new head, added china weights and CF blades to the new sonix tail, along with 2 others I have tried, and it now purrs like a singer sewing machine.
All this time I have been waiting to pull the trigger on a new hitec tail servo I was eyeballing other than the garbage Eflite servo I hung back on. But ended up ordering this in instead. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=8511
And, quietly lurking around all the threads watching you and a few other guys help and educate the rest of us needing help.
By the way, The FM works perfectly now, and my heartfelt thanks to you and the many others who exhibited great patience and helped me along during a nightmarishly nasty time in my life as I was wrapping my heavily medicated head around this build.

The snow is clearing while I am writing this so I should have this back up in the air in a few weeks when the gelpad and new gyro show up. On the Ice the soft start I selected is just too soft and the heli oftentimes stalls out during startup. At least that is an easy fix. Now that things have quieted down on my end I can pay complete attention to this and enjoy it all summer.
Other than that I have been designing and building little CX2/3 custom dual swash vtail brushless flybarless coax's to keep me busy along with a full 450 bodied 3bladed dual swash vtail brushless flybarless coax that should be in the air here shortly. Now that was a mouthful.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 2 of those servo's they are ok, be sure to set the servo travel so the slider does not bottom out. failing to do this can cause the servo to burn out.
Quote:
Ha, you wont believe this. The very moment I finally went to fly my new heli the KDS tail servo that came with my KDS900 gyro burned up. Literally the very moment I went to lift off! And after it had previously suffered torturous hours of bench work. So when I went to cautiously drop my bird back down the blades tagged the lift off bench and totaled the top end. I also had some vibration issues that in the end turned out to be the horrible Eflite gears wreaking havoc on the FM unit. I had previously tried several kinds of tape with different layers, even velcro and stuffing the gyro. Kind of weird that the designers put the gyro in the worst possible spot for vibrations on the entire heli! Hopefully the gyro mounting gel coming in the mail will solve any further issues at this point. In the meantime I hung on the microheli gear, custom built a new head, added china weights and CF blades to the new sonix tail, along with 2 others I have tried, and it now purrs like a singer sewing machine.
All this time I have been waiting to pull the trigger on a new hitec tail servo I was eyeballing other than the garbage Eflite servo I hung back on. But ended up ordering this in instead. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=8511
And, quietly lurking around all the threads watching you and a few other guys help and educate the rest of us needing help.
By the way, The FM works perfectly now, and my heartfelt thanks to you and the many others who exhibited great patience and helped me along during a nightmarishly nasty time in my life as I was wrapping my heavily medicated head around this build.

The snow is clearing while I am writing this so I should have this back up in the air in a few weeks when the gelpad and new gyro show up. On the Ice the soft start I selected is just too soft and the heli oftentimes stalls out during startup. At least that is an easy fix. Now that things have quieted down on my end I can pay complete attention to this and enjoy it all summer.
Other than that I have been designing and building little CX2/3 custom dual swash vtail brushless flybarless coax's to keep me busy along with a full 450 bodied 3bladed dual swash vtail brushless flybarless coax that should be in the air here shortly. Now that was a mouthful.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have 2 of those servo's they are ok, be sure to set the servo travel so the slider does not bottom out. failing to do this can cause the servo to burn out.
Thanks Ivor! When it shows up I may pm you and ask how you set yours up. I did notice you weren't raving about the servo selection though. However with you owning two of them it does make me feel slightly better.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks Ivor! When it shows up I may pm you and ask how you set yours up. I did notice you weren't raving about the servo selection though. However with you owning two of them it does make me feel slightly better.
I am running those servos with the helicommand tail gyro and I am quite happy with them. I did read up on them before i purchased them and they do also seem to work well with the Futaba GY 401.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should be an interesting setup since I am using the KDS gyro with a field programmer that allows me to set virtually every parameter. Hopefully they are compatible. On hindsight I probably should have gone with a much less sophisticated gyro on my first ground up build that more guys are familiar with. As it is I am kind of on my own. Shouldn't be to tough though. Set the bandwidth, set the orientation, set the gain of the gyro in its various modes, and set the gyro to limit servo travel and speed, and finally set the servo center in the gyro. And while I am at it go through my Ice 50 again just to make sure it is still setup correctly. Right about now I would just about kill for a DX7 or 8 channel TX to have that extra ability to switch between the two flight modes on the FM instead of just fooling it with gain settings on my DX6i. Since this kind of defeats the purpose of having AVCS on the gyro which complicates things since I have to use the gain settings for another purpose. And my custom aluminum head had to have the swash reversed which threw another twist into the pot. Really though once I wrapped my head around the correlation of the field programmer language compared to the setup procedure you lined out in the intro it wasn't so bad. I had it running correctly in no time.
Just as a second thought here, have you played with the SK720 yet?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

On those servos since I am just setting mine up now what is the bandwidth? No specs or instructions whatsoever with the package.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
On those servos since I am just setting mine up now what is the bandwidth? No specs or instructions whatsoever with the package.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
After hours of looking around late last night You solve the mystery in a second!
Once again, Thanks!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
After hours of looking around late last night You solve the mystery in a second!
Once again, Thanks!
Well no it took me half an hour to find it but needed to know myself anyway. I just ordered 4 of the gy250 gyros from hobby king. Cant be as good as they say for $10 can they but you never know. Give one a try.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well no it took me half an hour to find it but needed to know myself anyway. I just ordered 4 of the gy250 gyros from hobby king. Cant be as good as they say for $10 can they but you never know. Give one a try.
Are you talking about one of these?
http://www.hobby-wing.com/e-flite-ef...lock-gyro.html
There seems to be a whole herd of guys using these on a thread at RcGroups. I would like to know how they actually work from someone I respect (hint, hint). I was thinking of grabbing a couple myself but for other reasons.
The guys flying them have reported good results, I will wait and see what you think.

Last edited by Luvmyhelis; 03-20-2011 at 10:49 PM..
Luvmyhelis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Are you talking about one of these?
http://www.hobby-wing.com/e-flite-ef...lock-gyro.html
There seems to be a whole herd of guys using these on a thread at RcGroups. I would like to know how they actually work from someone I respect (hint, hint). I was thinking of grabbing a couple myself but for other reasons.
The guys flying them have reported good results, I will wait and see what you think.
No thats not it. Look up Assan GA250 or HK GA250 same gyro rebadged by HK, it's a very small mems gyro. Seems to be a copy of the Quark but Assan say not it's there own design.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
No thats not it. Look up Assan GA250 or HK GA250 same gyro rebadged by HK, it's a very small mems gyro. Seems to be a copy of the Quark but Assan say not it's there own design.
This is the weirdest thing ever! I cut and pasted the link to the gyro I thought you are talking about directly from the HK site, and this Eflite gyro link shows up out of nowhere! I couldn't understand what you were talking about until I hit the link again! Wow, I feel like an idiot. This is the correct link
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15318
I would never say the Eflite G110 is worthwhile except maybe for use on cheap coax vtail mods! This is embarrassing!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,thanks for all time you have put into this mess ; ) It has a help me alot. Have a couple questions I'm thinking of.
-If I choose to use green gyro cable to the receiver, so I can change between normal and HH,
Can I still change the sensitivity (gain) of the FM-gyro in Helibal? or does it work as usual to set the gain for HH and normal in TX

I use Futaba 7c and my VR CH6 Flap trim control is active so I now can change the pitch,feels a bit dangerous so is there a way I can turn this off.
ibbe76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have a 7 channel receiver as well and what heli is it ?.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Do you have a 7 channel receiver as well and what heli is it ?.
yes,its R 617 and a t-rex 450.
tx in heli mode H1
ibbe76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the green wire is connected then gyro gain in Helibal is disabled and so gyro gain must be adjusted in your TX.
No I dont think you can switch the VR channel 6 knob off.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default jmoyer

IvorI have read your information with intrest as I too have a Flymentor installed on a KDS 450. I do have one thing I would like to ask you and that is; I am using the KDS transmitter that came with the heli and was wondering about set-up using it. The manual is ?????The heli flies well but seems not to have a good position hold mode. Have you any suggestions?
jmoyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in