Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion

KDS Helicopters General Discussion KDS Helicopters General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDS Flymentor for Windows 7

I've believe many of you including myself have struggled to get the Flymentor drivers to function properly on Windows 7. There are various versions of drivers available, however the driver located on the mini-disc that's included, WILL work.

The problem is that the driver simulates a com port by creating a virtual com port. This is all fine, however, a unused port number must be assigned and is normally taken sequentially off the top of the stack. For example, if your last used com port is 14, then the Flymentor driver is assigned port 15. BINGO!!! The Helibal program is not recognizing port numbers that high. But we have ways to make them talk. Since most desktops, laptops, and netbooks usually only have one physical com port (com1), that will normally leave com2 unused. All that needs to be done is to assign a different com port to the driver. Ideally any unused port number lower than com4 will do the trick.

Open your control panel and select Device Manager. Now plug-in your Flymentor dongle into your usb port. Device Manager will now rescan and display the Virtual Communications Port in the Ports section. Double click on that device and the properties dialog will open. Select the Port Settings tab, then click on the Advanced button. You will see a pull-down that lists the com ports available. Scroll to the top and select the lowest unused port. However, if you do have a physical Com1 on your system, then I would select Com2 otherwise Com1 wont be available to other programs. Obviously start clicking your OK's and then exit Device Manager. You usually don't need to restart your system. Just unplug your dongle and plug it in again. Then run Helibal.
abyssal20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I am in Device Manager, I do not see The Ports you are describing. Please help me.

Thank you
rgtsrgabe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Flymentor Ports

Sorry...I just sold my Flymentor and can't verify my previous post. The flymentor driver only shows up on the "port" list in device manager when it's plugged into the usb port. So...if my memory serves me:

Load device manager. Then plug in the flymentor. The list of devices should now refresh. Look for "virtual port". I believe it will show the "KDS" driver. Double click to get the properties dialog. Here there should be a section to set the communications settings (baud rate, etc). Look for the dropdown box for com port and set the lowest port you can (com1 or com2).

Exit Device Manager and restart the Helibal program.

Good Luck
abyssal20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default no virtural port found

Nothing is found as described in this thread to install KDS Flymentor drivers on a Windows 7 64 bit system.
Stubby01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi folks

I'm trying to get a KDS heli going for my neighbour and have managed to get the flymentor program going and talking to the Heli. Now, everytime we "download" or "get" the settings from the heli there are a different set of settings everytime that button is clicked on, about half a dozen different "setups" I think. (it cycles through them and sometimes I have to load my configuration from the saved file as well as it loses the settings).
Why would that be?
floatingkiwi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
kds flymentor windows 7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in