Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > R/C Helicopter Event Forum

R/C Helicopter Event Forum Please add your events to this forum so people know where the action is

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Aaaand I can't come... family BS. This sucks.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Despite having to reschedule due to weather concerns, there was an excellent turnout and everyone enjoyed the day as the flying conditions were perfect.

A special thanks to Darrick Chekas for orginizing the event and to all those who helped out.

I'd also like to thank all the sponsors, vendors and members of other clubs who donated the awesome raffle prizes.

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying, and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun"
Hekicopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I swung by to watch for a while yesterday and was a little disappointed to see that the atmosphere wasn't very beginner oriented. There was one tent after another of expensive equipment and large helicopters being flown with expertise but something a little less intimidating would have been nice for a newbie. I would have felt more comfortable to approach someone in conversation who was crashing an mcpx than a guy who just wrung out a 700 size heli.

Maybe something like a trainer area set up explicitly to hook up a buddy cord and let a newcomer give it a go with a small plastic heli. Back in the 1970's when I first learned to fly RC airplanes there was always one or two guys who spent the day helping a newbie and I still remember a guy named Warren who I couldn't have done it without.

To sum it up it looked like a great get together and fun fly for experienced pilots but not much organized promotion of the hobby.

Mike.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks everyone for making it out.

I wish I didn't have to move the date, but based on the timelines I had for certain items, I didn't have much choice given the weatherman's predictions.

Sorry to all those who had to miss the event due to the last minute change! We will likely be doing another event in the fall.

I also again, want to thank the following companies for sponsoring our event:

-HeliDirect
-Scorpion Power Systems
-Byron Fuels
-Thunder Power RC
-HeliWholesaler
-Align RC
-Compass Models

And the SRW guys for donating some nice T-Shirts.

We had some great prizes from all the sponsors. Thanks to Dino, Roman Jr, Paul Andreoli, and Wesley Griffith for making it out as well.

I look forward to seeing you all again soon!

-Darrick
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefamig View Post
I swung by to watch for a while yesterday and was a little disappointed to see that the atmosphere wasn't very beginner oriented. There was one tent after another of expensive equipment and large helicopters being flown with expertise but something a little less intimidating would have been nice for a newbie. I would have felt more comfortable to approach someone in conversation who was crashing an mcpx than a guy who just wrung out a 700 size heli.

Maybe something like a trainer area set up explicitly to hook up a buddy cord and let a newcomer give it a go with a small plastic heli. Back in the 1970's when I first learned to fly RC airplanes there was always one or two guys who spent the day helping a newbie and I still remember a guy named Warren who I couldn't have done it without.

To sum it up it looked like a great get together and fun fly for experienced pilots but not much organized promotion of the hobby.

Mike.
I'm sorry you felt that way about the event.

I can say with 100% certainty that if you came and swung by registration and introduced yourself, there would have been any number of pilots willing to talk and teach. While we may all be flying larger heli's, many people got started on the smaller machines and would be more than happy to help.

Our event is geared towards everyone, newbies and experienced alike. We did have a hover station setup off to the side, marked by 4 cones and an H Pad, for hovering or small machines to fly in.

I would recommend you come up and talk to the pilots next time to get the attention you're looking for. No one is going to snub their nose at someone because of the machine their flying.

At the same time, I can't help someone who I don't know needed or wanted help.

-Darrick
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Darrick:

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't mean to imply that any member of the group wouldn't be helpful if I had asked for help or tips and I enjoyed hanging out and watching for a while. What I'm trying to say is that I'd be more comfortable if I didn't feel like the only beginner there. If I had seen a guy bouncing his mcpx off the ground I'd be much more likely to strike up a conversation with him than someone who is eons above my level.

I don't mean to take anything away from the group and meant no insult. Maybe I'm alone in this but I just expected to see one or two 450's or maybe even some small blade helis......something that I could relate to. Maybe it's just my hangup. I wasn;t interested in registering and spending the day and expected something a little more casual.

Mike.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

had a great time chekas. awesome people, great weather , great flying , great fun!

cant wait for next year and /or , if your gonna do another before this season is over!

Mike , sry you felt intimidated....we've all been there when we started too. Everyone.!
I can remember the first time i went to a flying field, didn't talk to anyone , was more in shock and awe over everyones stuff.Maybe try going to a flying club somehwere and jsut hangout on a saturday when its more "relaxed" atmosphere. Get to know a person or 2, after you meet 1 person , you'll realize we all are in the same boat,and all are willing to help any level whatsoever.
Flying abilities don't matter manNor does what you fly. Its about havin fun and meeting new people.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airworks View Post
had a great time chekas. awesome people, great weather , great flying , great fun!

cant wait for next year and /or , if your gonna do another before this season is over!

Mike , sry you felt intimidated....we've all been there when we started too. Everyone.!
I can remember the first time i went to a flying field, didn't talk to anyone , was more in shock and awe over everyones stuff.Maybe try going to a flying club somehwere and jsut hangout on a saturday when its more "relaxed" atmosphere. Get to know a person or 2, after you meet 1 person , you'll realize we all are in the same boat,and all are willing to help any level whatsoever.
Flying abilities don't matter manNor does what you fly. Its about havin fun and meeting new people.
I wouldn't say that I was intimidated and I'm not an overly shy kind of person. I really think that I'm having trouble finding the words to make my point. I honestly don't doubt for a second that it's a very friendly group and I'm just talking about the lack of an activity to actively get people started out in the hobby. It just seems like a great opportunity lost. When I was starting out wind surfing there was an event down at Meigs point where local shops put out equipment and gave a first beginner lesson free.

Let me try a different approach.......did you guys have a lot of beginners fly yesterday? Were you approached by many beginners with questions or looking for help flying? Was I the only beginner that stopped by and didn't take their helicopter out of the car? It just didn't seem to me like the right time or place for me to bother anyone to help me learn basic skills.

Mike.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Awesome DAY!!!!

I was there, it was a nice experience, meet some of the pilots, make some friends. I'm planning to joing the ccrcc club and get some heli training. Thanks to Derrick to let me walk around and meet the pilots, at first I was kind of scare but at the moment I was speaking with them is complete difference, They are so friendly, they try to help you all they can. It not matter what you flying for them all they care is to help you get in the hobby and help. Thank you very much to all the pilots that I talk to specially to Alex from NY ( rcrcc club.) Mel from Waterbury. LOVE this Hobbie.
halo2_pr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the great event Darrick! Looking forward to the next one!
nynextel88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mikefamig

Hi,

Let me throw in my 2 cents.. The R/C Heli community prides itself on being the most friendly and helpful group of pilots.

I wasn't able to attend due to change of dates but I know many of the pilots who could attend and I can bet ya that if you had a question or needed help they would be more than willing to help.

Yes, flying next to 3D smack pilot can be intimidating / scary..but that's why there is the hover area...but can you imagine the feeling once you can fly on the same flight line.

As the other posted before, bring your heli and drop by the club on a regular day to check it out again.

Last edited by dyuen888; 06-15-2013 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: 4am in the morning
dyuen888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Is there a 2014 event scheduled?

I couldn't find it on their web site.
matthewcornell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I talked with Darrick last week and a date has not yet been set but he's working on it.

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying, and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun"
Hekicopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in