Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #21 (permalink)

My HF Map location

It is very cool that Ed sent you that to test Bob.

Preservation and power for the glow engine and especially the noob are very important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got a CSM carb smart waiting for at the shop I go to Down in Glenndale I have a few other minor repairs to do from my first crash with my 600 . The Spktrum DS 821 servos failed me.
But here is my question .should the carb smart be plugged into a regulator ? Does it draw much juice from your flight pack? I have these (sanyo 5 cell nimh 2700 mah) ,they are pretty weak ,or so it seems.I bet after you put 3 8717 servos and a 8900g & 8711,should I change out the flight batt for a stronger higher rated pack? Tell me true.
And what servo do you recomend for the carb smart would say a 3400 g or a 3900g work?
Tim Smith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #23 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I guess you didnt watch the video? I show what servo I used. A cheap HS65HB. You dont need a super strong servo for this application.

5S nicad pack? Why are you not using the 2in1? If you go 8717's you may want to go 2S 2200ma lipo and a 6amp reg minimum.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just watched all 3 of em thanks I was coming back to edit out some stuff from my reply to your thread .

I don't have the two in one on my heli yet and the servos are being installed this week to replace my less than adequate Spektrum servo's.( I have a posted my experience with that in 600n thread) I actualy received this heli from a friends Hobby shop as a pre -Built and was told it was checked out and ready to go ,And built by the best heli guy in town and they told me it would work and fly just fine and not to worry . So I am completly up dateing this heli with the two in one Regulator igniter and ect .ect ect servos and ect gov. and carb smart. I am bearly on my 6 th gallon of nitro with it.Have been flying great with NADA problem till my Servos all started crapping out ,But only during flight as a result of the higher Vibration at higher RPM's (This is my best
asymalation , of the situation) Carb Smart seems like a very Smart device to create for our heli's . Do you think that some one some where will address the issue of Static dischrage as well

Last edited by Tim Smith; 04-28-2008 at 10:27 AM..
Tim Smith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Just got a chance to test it yesterday. I had to shorten the link to the servo so it would go a 2 more clicks lean as it was running full lean the entire time. Once I did that I could really feel the performance. I guess I was running a little rich manually the entire time!
Was there a particular reason that you shortened the link instead of readjusting the servo horn on the needle valve knob, or was it just the quicker thing to do? It seems to me that you'd no longer have parallel horn throws (assuming the radii from center to ball were the same).
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, please keep us informed if you have any sensor problems, like if it fails... If you get a ton of flights out of yours we will all know that your install is the way to go with the silicone trick. Thanks!
Kasama Srimok - 8717HV's, 8900G, AR7100R, Spartan, YS 91SR, Hatori SB19
huskynox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

how do you guys actually know that your running full lean while your flying? Are you flying without a canopy and sorta trying to peak at the servo horn in a hover or something? Im guessing that the carb smart doesnt actually show the fullest lean and rich position it recorded during a flight, does it? I would think that its kinda hard to see where the servo horn is during flight.
Also, Bob at the mid position of the carbsmart, how many turns out is your needle?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Was there a particular reason that you shortened the link instead of readjusting the servo horn on the needle valve knob, or was it just the quicker thing to do? It seems to me that you'd no longer have parallel horn throws (assuming the radii from center to ball were the same).
I could have MOVED the arm on the mixture knob but I only need to ge a little more lean so I just shortened the link which did the SAME thing... You can do it either way my friend! They both achieve the same result.

Bob
Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskynox View Post
Bob, please keep us informed if you have any sensor problems, like if it fails... If you get a ton of flights out of yours we will all know that your install is the way to go with the silicone trick. Thanks!
Will do! If it fails I for sure will let you know as I know you have had some issues man.... If mine does please trust that I will be honest about it! So far so good with 7 flights.

Bob
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I could have MOVED the arm on the mixture knob but I only need to ge a little more lean so I just shortened the link which did the SAME thing... You can do it either way my friend! They both achieve the same result.
Fair enough. It's just that you're normally such a stickler about keeping everything at 90 degrees that I was surprised you made an adjustment that was contrary to that stance.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #31 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Fair enough. It's just that you're normally such a stickler about keeping everything at 90 degrees that I was surprised you made an adjustment that was contrary to that stance.
Well that is a good point! But because I adjusted the servo travel for the Carb Smart and lowered the throw, I felt this simple adjustment was all that was needed. But YES... if you want it right and 90, then move the arm on the needle valve.

Bob
Old 04-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmalik19 View Post
how do you guys actually know that your running full lean while your flying? Are you flying without a canopy and sorta trying to peak at the servo horn in a hover or something? Im guessing that the carb smart doesnt actually show the fullest lean and rich position it recorded during a flight, does it? I would think that its kinda hard to see where the servo horn is during flight.
That's a very good question and I haven't seen an answer yet. I'm assuming you could see the position of the horn on the needle knob while in a hover or immediately after landing, while still idling.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

yea I would like to know.. even if you looked at it while idling, the engine would have enough time to cool down some while you walk to it and get a chance to look. Im sure the carbsmart reacts pretty quickly to temp changes so i doubt you would be able to see where the needle was before you landed. Im just curious how you guys are coming to the conclusion that its flying full lean the entire time and that you need to add more travel.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #34 (permalink)

My HF Map location

It is a little hard to see it moving in flight unless you're comfortable flying it very hard and very close (which I'm not).

One thing I tried that works pretty well is to take a bright yellow zip tie (tiewrap), cut it in half and fasten it to the carb needle (with string and tape) and let it stick down below the edge of the canopy. It will read kinda backwards since it's sticking down instead of up like the needle horn. But, it does let you see it moving at much further distances.

It's not an elegant way to see it moving but it works pretty well.
lakespinner2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #35 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I land quickly and look where it is. It doesnt change all that fast at 50% gain.

Bob
Old 04-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

QUOTE "One thing I tried that works pretty well is to take a bright yellow zip tie (tiewrap), cut it in half and fasten it to the carb needle (with string and tape) and let it stick down below the edge of the canopy. It will read kinda backwards since it's sticking down instead of up like the needle horn. But, it does let you see it moving at much further distances."

Sort of like this wiretie pointer and rich/lean marks on my Bergen...the little metal JR wire ties work good also and just bolt on the carbsmart arm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	46776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnum 003.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	46777  
KORN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think CarbSmart is pretty neat. If/When I get a nitro heli, I'll definitely have that on my short list of accessories.

I've got a ton of 2 cycle tuning experience with models and racing karts. My only concern is starting up lean. All the 2 cycle engines I've tuned need to be rich when they are cold and lean when they are hot. (To a point - too lean is always bad.) I can tell you from experience it's very easy to cold stick a kart engine because it's too lean. Other than that, once the engine is running and is up to temp, IMHO, the CarbSmart is a good thing.

From my experience, the ideal way to do this is to measure cylinder head temperature (CHT) and exhaust gas temperature (EGT). OTOH, a system like that would be pretty complex and would probably be overkill. Anyone here know what it means when the CHT goes up and the EGT is going down. What about when the CHT goes down and the EGT goes up.
AMA# 3066

Last edited by skigolfmike; 04-30-2008 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Thought of something
skigolfmike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #38 (permalink)

Thanks Bob, for all the info and especially the videos, they made things a lot easier for a guy like me that has no patience. This hobby is fun because of guys like you.
montarok is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #39 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Bob: Were you able to install the sensor with the engine still in the heli or did you pull the engine to install it?

I'm trying to decide if having the engine still in the heli would likely hinder my sensor installation. I hate the job of pulling and reinstalling the engine, so if I can avoid it, I'd be quite happy.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #40 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I installed it while still in the heli. Did you watch my video? I show where I installed it on the bottom of the heli. You want to use a good cleaner to get the head clean. I used a spray can of brake cleaner.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in