Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tuning Fbl systems with PID gain

]Greetings,
I am working through the tuning of a Tarot ZYX fbl system, and am flying well, but want to fine tune to get the locked in setup. Right now there is a bit of drift, and it feels tight, but wanders. Is there a correct process of adjusting gains to achieve this?

I am going out this morning and starting with total roll gain, then total pitch, then P gain, then moving to I then D. Roll first, then pitch. Adding gain until I get a wag, then backing off. Would appreciate any input, I probably will just get started today, and finish tomorrow.
Thanks

Last edited by Dowquest; 05-02-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Dowquest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

For some theory, try watching this video over at OpenPilot.org. Start at the 23-minute mark so you don't have to watch all of the quad stuff. (The theory's the same for quad and helis, BTW.) In OP-speak, P gain is Kp and I gain is Ki. (Oh, and for the record, the OpenPilot board isn't viable for helis yet--trust me on that, I have the broken blades to prove it. It has a big quad following though.)
http://vimeo.com/25839978

When tweaking, start with P gain. That's the main gain. I couldn't get my B400 over the default P gain of 80 on roll and pitch without running into some oscillations.

I gain is integral gain (hence the "I"). It takes care of longer-term stability by calculating not just the movement in the wrong direction, but how long the error has been there ("integrating over time"). If you look at the button settings in the software, I gain gets lower as you move from beginner to 3D. That's because you don't want a lot of long term stability getting in the way when you're doing psycho moves. If you, like me, are looking for a fairly stable bird, about 120 is good here on roll and pitch. At 80 or 90 it feels much less locked in.

The last (and least) is D gain. I have never fussed with that. My tail is fine, so I haven't fussed with that either.

Basically, the stock F3C settings have worked great for me.
Harbormaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

People are posting their settings here for reference: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=375742&page=3
Harbormaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, i'll look at that tomorrow. When I saw the I gain at 100, I thought that was the limit, but I will bump it up a little and see what happens. I was going up in increments of 5, until i started getting oscillations, then backing down by 2. I have been through everything but pitch pid settings, which I will get to tommorrow. It does seem to be more locked in than when I started the process, so that is good.
Dowquest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fbl, flybarless, tarot, zyx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in