Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nathan, I guess I'll have to ponder this one more before I buy into the hype. I do a lot more than just figure eights and orientation practice, and my Protos behaves just as predictably and accurately as my Compass Knight, which runs Futaba 9452s on cyclic. Perhaps Hitec has improved their QC somewhat since all the griping was reported over on RR?

In any case, I don't understand why one would recommend a beginner sell brand new servos they've already bought (at a loss, most likely), only to spend more money on servos that will be of questionable value to them since they are not a hardcore 3D pilot.
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

Chris,

I think your statement could not be more correct. If I paid attention to the what should I buy threads I would have never maidened a TREX 450 with HS56 servos and a Telebee gyro.

Use the posts as advice only and realize that this hobby has a very high keeping up with the Jones's factor.
Lewis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow.

There are times when I read through a thread and just shake my head in disbelief.

Did a new Protos pilot really just get steered away from using HS-5245MG's, that he already bought, in his build in lieu of 9650's because of some internet griping and empirical data comparisons?

And we allowed that to happen without anyone so much as asking what type of flying he does???

Sometimes the pressure you find here and on other forums to buy the absolutely best and most expensive setup possible, because anything else is just "crap" or "garbage" is ridiculous. Either servo (HS5245 or 9560) would be more than sufficient for 95% of the pilots on this site, let alone a relative beginner. Especially when, for the most part, the difference of such servos is really more of a subjective thing between pilots.

For what it's worth, I have a set of HS-5245MG in my Protos.

Of course, if your talking tail servos, the ONLY way to go is a 9257!!!
(of course, I'm kidding)
DrunkRabbit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Double Wow

Well then my PROTOS must fly like %$#@ since i am just using HS-82MGs. Nooo wait! It flys just fine for my sport flying style.
Fusion 50, MSH PROTOS 500, HDX450, Walkera 4#6, Walkera 4#3B, TREX-250, MCPX
weasel53 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hitec servos are getting a LOT better. The new 7XXX series of servos are awesome, they are all for the most part 8v compatible (and most of them are even listed at 6v/7.2v) the resolution and centering accuracy has been greatly increase, and finally the gear trains are titanium are steel. They are much better then their JR87XX competitors. When you factor in price and features you will need an 87XX HV servo to compete with the top line Hitec's and they are 100 dollars less per servo in most cases.

With that all said, Hitec doesn't have any micro or mini servos I like, I'm not really or never have been a fan of 65MG's or their new digital counterparts. The main thing they have on the competition is an unbeatable price. The 5245's for me have always been better in planks then in heli's. JR Z3650's are my favorite mini size servo for heli applications, speed, torque, centering, and durability are all top notch. Followed by 9650's which only negative are the nylon gears. Nylon gears on heli's is really a hit or miss thing. I like having a 0 slop gear train, however changing gears gets expensive and tedious. I've also stripped teeth in flight on some servos (never on a 9650).
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies on this thread so far. I'm a sport flier, but I'd like to try my hand at some of the trickier 3D moves sooner or later.

Upgrading to the 9650's cost me $45. So really it's not a big deal for a little peace of mind.

Alex

Last edited by OnTheSnap; 03-19-2009 at 09:27 AM..
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can anyone tell me whats the right size of the swash links to this servo?
tiagojanz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

9650's with 9660 metal gears.

JaggedEdge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its the same size of the 9650? 28mm?
tiagojanz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a BEC go bad and shoot 25v threw everything. I looked around at servos since I needed 4 new ones. I went with the HS-5245MG's again. I am really happy with them. I am a sport flyer, they suit my needs just fine.
senzafine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few time ago i was thinking about changing my 5245MG's for 9650 but i didn't i fly 3d and i'm satisfied with my Hitec's. You can have a look at my video and see that they ar better than a lot people could expect
MSH Protos 3D flight by African Tonic (4 min 23 sec)
Old 08-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmezip View Post
I had a BEC go bad and shoot 25v threw everything. I looked around at servos since I needed 4 new ones. I went with the HS-5245MG's again. I am really happy with them. I am a sport flyer, they suit my needs just fine.
Was that the castle BEC?
rcboosted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Even for hard 3D, the so called "best centering" servos are not needed, especially one is not competing IMO. The flying needed for these 'best precision servos" i think will be F3C types of flying, since it's really a PRECISION thing and not smacking the heli around with piros and all the stuff. Just my 0.02 cents.

regards,

Trex SE v2 -- HS65MG, GY401+9257, CC35, 430XL, GG, G Paddles, K&B Tail Blades
Trex 500 CF -- HS82MG, GY401+9257, stock ESC and motor, Align metal upgrades, K&B Tail Blades
heliboy88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 04:21 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have them on my Protos and they work great.

discoferret is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just go for broke and do the 3517's and never wonder about a substandard servo again. A few more dollars but money well spent. Then again I like to spend my money ONCE and have it done with. Whoooah?
jondabear is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in