Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: VBAR Control Transmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargor View Post
Since the signal is based off of Futaba, I wonder if there will be a way for the vbar module to work with existing "newer" radio's via an update? Maybe some sort of hack maybe? It would be nice but then I could see how this would take away from the actual selling of the new Mikado radio.
Do we know that its based off of futaba? I thought it was just a coincidence that its called fhss. If they were going to use a futaba signal, why would they choose the shorter range "park flier" one instead of the full range fasst?

If im wrong, then I'm wrong, but i don't think I'm interested if its using futabas fhss, unless they somehow improve on it to make it as good as fasst

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a really neat example of how powerful it is when we see an integration of technologies.

If I had to guess, this is a JR radio under the hood, and uses JR RF FHSS technology. The entire radio might have been designed and mfg in cooperation with JR? Just a hunch looking at the design.

IMO the real revolution starts when radio manufacturers can finally agree on an open plug-in standard. At that point integration with 3rd party systems becomes common place. But RC is such a niche low margin market, it's behind the rest of the world. And just takes an effort like this to put together existing technologies to make something cool. But unfortunately proprietary. The dream is to have open integration possibilities which would require some standardization. Or at least a proprietary plugin standard by the major mfgs. I doubt they have much incentive to do this though unless is becomes an apparent money making feature. They likely view it in the same way as Mikado. A way to sell more FBL units. So Spektrum integration might come when BeastX3 is released. But not necessarily allow open integration. But I would argue the guy that does this first could capture some market share. Maybe Frysky will have to be the one.

BTW, didn't the CGY have FBL integration?

Last edited by OnTheSnap; 02-20-2014 at 01:06 PM..
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nothing would be better than to be able to program your VBAR on the fly. The tweaking would be endless and hassle free. You would have to plug anything in or remove a canopy.I use the VBAR remote controller which is much better than a laptop but this would be great. As far as the radio is concerned, I fly a JR12x which I fly because I like the feel and weight of the radio and JR has been my radio of choice for years but I would make a change if the radio had a nice feel in your hands and had nice gimbals.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
This is a really neat example of a power integration of technologies.

If I had to guess, this is a JR radio under the hood, and uses JR RF FHSS technology.

IMO the real revolution starts when radio manufacturers can finally agree on an open plug-in standard. At that point integration with 3rd party systems becomes common place. But RC is such a niche low margin market, it's behind the rest of the world. And just takes an effort like this to put together existing technologies to make something cool.

BTW, didn't the CGY have a FBL integration?
I completely forgot that Futaba had this feature a while ago.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think they still do, but I've never heard if anyone using it, and it doesn't seem like it would be as user friendly as the mikado deal looks.

corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree with what I saw someone else say in one of these threads. The screen should have been placed above the sticks similar to the Jeti radios. Otherwise, I'm curious what Mikado has up their sleeves to make me actually want this radio.

I wouldn't mind replacing my x9503 with something more robust but I can't justify the cost of a Jeti radio and I don't care for the ergonomics/software on the 8FG.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosionate View Post
I think they still do, but I've never heard if anyone using it, and it doesn't seem like it would be as user friendly as the mikado deal looks.

I knew someone who used to use it and was really pumped about it at the time.

Then he switched to SK-540's and kept the Futaba transmitter.

I've never actually seen Futaba's FBL controller in person and I don't know anyone around me that uses it anymore.

Since VBar is much more popular and if they have a much better implementation, this may still be seen as the first "successful" implementation.

Time will tell.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
I agree with what I saw someone else say in one of these threads. The screen should have been placed above the sticks similar to the Jeti radios. Otherwise, I'm curious what Mikado has up their sleeves to make me actually want this radio.

I wouldn't mind replacing my x9503 with something more robust but I can't justify the cost of a Jeti radio and I don't care for the ergonomics/software on the 8FG.
I love having the screen at the top and it is also tilted towards me. Usually I don't look down at it, but it is easy to see when I do. Mostly I use the verbal telemetry and announcements.

I suspect that Mikado probably used a similar layout to some existing transmitter to keep costs down.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Given that the 8FG generally requires a PHD to program, I would assume that almost no one who has both a 8FG and a CGY-750 ever really integrated the two even though I have heard it is possible.

But honestly, I really don't know.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Before we get the pricing (and I do have the over), note that there is some marginal savings, for a new customer anyway, in that you shouldn't need the Control Panel nor the Bluetooth adapter. Even if you get an offbrand BT from ebay or others, that's still working up to $200.

Unless they can actually pull off a Castle Link trick, I'd still want my heli netbook, which costs some hundreds more.

But it's not hard to imagine this product knocking off $500 in other gear. On the assumption that Mikado sees it the same way, I'm upping my estimate to "over $1,190"
Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If it is in the Jeti realm of price, I seriously doubt they will sell any units.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
If it is in the Jeti realm of price, I seriously doubt they will sell any units.
I have to agree.

Assuming the VBar Control panel actually works worth a squat, I just don't see getting this TX as saving any money.

https://shop.mikadousa.com/04152-VBa...nel_p_297.html

I would never get a BT module for my FBL controller because my field monitor works great. I also have no problem lugging my laptop if I really feel the urge.

So forget the savings.

Also the Jeti DS-14 is $1095 so that would be its main competition at that price.

A Jeti Duplex receiver for helicopter use costs between $49 and $65. The R3 for $65 is perfect for helis and will support Mikado's digital IDU communication protocol in the next couple weeks.

BTW I do have to thank Mikado for that one! Futaba is always creating proprietary stuff but Mikado created an open standard that JR and soon Jeti and Skookum will also support.

As a side note I did get one BT module to configure my Kosmik, but only because their ProgCard, how can I put this delicately. Sucks!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My buddy has the little field panel and it does work well. The only things that I'm pretty sure it doesn't do are display vibe data and the log. The screen on it does look awful though.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Interesting concept, I like how you can put any two parameters on the knobs to tune real time and you can seen the vibration analysis real time too.

However other flybars allow some of the former and I've seen the latter via Bluetooth on my buddy's tablet with his VBar.

Will they sell "conventional" receivers so this TX can be used for planes and multirotors too? I would imagine so else it becomes a big disadvantage. The video gave me the impression that new versions of VBar will have the rx integrated in it and the satellite thingy will only be necessary for current VBars (however Kyle didn't say this outright).

Anyway I'm not a VBar guy but I found the video and the idea interesting. I just sold my 8FG and a 14SG is on its way...
* Futaba 14SG
Arcturus97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
I have to agree.

Assuming the VBar Control panel actually works worth a squat, I just don't see getting this TX as saving any money.

https://shop.mikadousa.com/04152-VBa...nel_p_297.html

I would never get a BT module for my FBL controller because my field monitor works great. I also have no problem lugging my laptop if I really feel the urge.

So forget the savings.

Also the Jeti DS-14 is $1095 so that would be its main competition at that price.

A Jeti Duplex receiver for helicopter use costs between $49 and $65. The R3 for $65 is perfect for helis and will support Mikado's digital IDU communication protocol in the next couple weeks.

BTW I do have to thank Mikado for that one! Futaba is always creating proprietary stuff but Mikado created an open standard that JR and soon Jeti and Skookum will also support.

As a side note I did get one BT module to configure my Kosmik, but only because their ProgCard, how can I put this delicately. Sucks!
The Futaba gyros were adjustable from the tx, that is as far as the integration goes but Mikado did that with the VBAR first anyways.
Edit….

Last edited by Laughingstill; 02-20-2014 at 03:44 PM..
Laughingstill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

The announcement is really surprising to me from Mikado as they are known to be secrative for new development until it is released as a final product. What ever is presented so far is not enough to persuade anyone to buy in to it unless they are testing waters and want ideas from readers to implement in the final product. I know they read these forums so please voice your ideas. for me, if they implement serious telemtery, bigger screen positioned in top with voice activation system and a training port for sim use then it is a winner even if it works only on vbar.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingstill View Post
How did this turn into a Jeti commercial????
Just looking at what the competition would likely be at one potential price point.

I love my Jeti equipment, BUT I would love to see Mikado up the anti and introduce features that light a fire under all the other manufacturers.

One of the reasons I got a Jeti Transmitter was because I felt like the blew the doors off the other transmitter manufacturers and I wanted them to be a success to help all transmitters to improve and it seems like the ripples it made are having an impact!

Even if I don't get one. I hope that Mikado introduces a TX with a bunch of ground breaking advances that drive their competitors so that we all benefit!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks good that transmitter, you do not have to take your controlpanel or laptop to the field anymore to tweak your heli .
Telemetry is almost standard these days, only for this feature i would not change for an other transmitter, but if they ad an auto level bailout, i will reconsider certainly to possible buy the new transmitter!

Only thing that is still missing is an auto level bailout!
Maybe they can ad this feature, that would be really fine.

This would really be a good function for practice, so when it goes rong you could save your heli.
5#10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thinking a bit, having full control of aaaall parameters makes for some interesting mixing scenarios... additionally, the two assignable knobs on their own are a very very interesting feature. Nothing like that can be done with any control panel or BT module, period.

Flight mixes of FBL parameters at the radio with any channel and any two parameters assignable to two knobs. Mhm.....

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
marcosp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosp View Post
Thinking a bit, having full control of aaaall parameters makes for some interesting mixing scenarios... additionally, the two assignable knobs on their own are a very very interesting feature. Nothing like that can be done with any control panel or BT module, period.

Flight mixes of FBL parameters at the radio with any channel and any two parameters assignable to two knobs. Mhm.....

You know Marcos with Helicommand you can assign pretty much any function to a knob and tweek it in real time as you fly to get for example the head or tail gain adjusted without even landing, so nothing revolutionary here at all. All what i see is no need for PC to bring to the field, nothing really that would make us ditch our Tx .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in